Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am thinking off buying this 2002 Subaru WRX with 224,000KMs on the clock (140,000 miles). It looks tidy and has a few mods: has a 3" Cat back exhaust, BOV, aftermarket air filter pod and also I think it has a boost controller. Now the question is, should I go for it? and how long would a slightly hooned WRX engine and transmission at (224,000KMs) last?

Thank you

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,759 Posts
Could blow up today, could blown up 50 years from now.

I would avoid it personally. If you are dead set take it to a shop familiar with Subaru and have an inspection done that includes compression and leak down tests, boost and vacuum leak tests, as well as can verify what modifications are done and if any required tune is available.

Blow off valves are always the number one thing in my mind that says don't buy me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
47,181 Posts
Agree on all counts. If you really need to buy a 15-year-old WRX (don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the bugeyes!), look for a little old man with a stock car and maintenance receipts. I failed to follow my own advice with my 2nd, used WRX, and wound up with some expensive engine work to install an STI engine with larger turbocharger.

(What a drag it was to drive, after that.)

· Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
30,453 Posts
Hi, I am thinking off buying this 2002 Subaru WRX with 224,000KMs on the clock (140,000 miles). It looks tidy and has a few mods: has a 3" Cat back exhaust, BOV, aftermarket air filter pod and also I think it has a boost controller. Now the question is, should I go for it?
No, that was never the question. If there is any doubt, there is no doubt: walk away. Do not buy this car.

and how long would a slightly hooned WRX engine and transmission at (224,000KMs) last?
Only hatred lasts forever.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
As long as OP acknowledges that the car will likely require effort that exceeds 50% of the car's value, I don't see reason for the somewhat negative responses.

When I bought my 1996 Chevy Astro I knew the sucker would require a lot of work... And it did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
47,181 Posts
Given his "how long would it last" question, and the general tone of his post, I figured a response with a bit of a warning to it was justified. Absolutely, if he's mechanically inclined and/or doesn't mind spending a fair amount to keep it on the road..go for it. But that wasn't part of his original question.

15,759 Posts
As long as OP acknowledges that the car will likely require effort that exceeds 50% of the car's value, I don't see reason for the somewhat negative responses.

When I bought my 1996 Chevy Astro I knew the sucker would require a lot of work... And it did.

I would say it's more hedging his bet. If he knows the car had been beat he may be able to find something in better condition with less abuse.

Any 15 year old car is gonna need some work, find the one that's had the most done or is in the best shape

· Registered
60 Posts
Hi, I am thinking off buying this 2002 Subaru WRX with 224,000KMs on the clock (140,000 miles). It looks tidy and has a few mods: has a 3" Cat back exhaust, BOV, aftermarket air filter pod and also I think it has a boost controller. Now the question is, should I go for it? and how long would a slightly hooned WRX engine and transmission at (224,000KMs) last?

Thank you
Would you plan on immediately making it your daily driver? If this is going to be your one vehicle that you rely on to get to work, just consider the car's age. If it's a second car for you that you can tool around town with and work on it yourself when you have the time, then go for it if the price is right. However, in the former case, if something major happens and it requires it to be in the shop for a week, you and your boss will both be mumbling that you should have gotten an Accord.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agree on all counts. If you really need to buy a 15-year-old WRX (don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the bugeyes!), look for a little old man with a stock car and maintenance receipts. I failed to follow my own advice with my 2nd, used WRX, and wound up with some expensive engine work to install an STI engine with larger turbocharger.

(What a drag it was to drive, after that.)

Kinda hard to find manual WRXs owned by true enthusiasts that have only one owner lol. Most have like 7-10 owners like this one which has had 10 (7 excluding dealers) (I live in New Zealand)

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks for the reply, I know this car will require work but what I do want to know is will I have to pull apart the engine or transmission after 20k-40k KMs of driving lol

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Given his "how long would it last" question, and the general tone of his post, I figured a response with a bit of a warning to it was justified. Absolutely, if he's mechanically inclined and/or doesn't mind spending a fair amount to keep it on the road..go for it. But that wasn't part of his original question.
I'm a young idiot who is still learning lessons in life, like this decision of whether or not to go for this ticking bomb. I like WRXs, they look cool, sound aggressive (boxer rumble) and has a powerful engine that makes the car seem like a lot of fun to drive. but I know all that comes at a cost. I think I found what my real question is: Should I buy this possible ticking bomb and deal with the consequences later?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would say it's more hedging his bet. If he knows the car had been beat he may be able to find something in better condition with less abuse.

Any 15 year old car is gonna need some work, find the one that's had the most done or is in the best shape

This particular WRX costs NZD$5800 (USD $4000) and I think I can talk it down a bit, but there is this one WRX with 120,000KMs on the clock with 1 owner goes for NZD$11000 (USD$7500) which does cost quite a bit lol.

15,759 Posts
You can easily rack up 3500 in repairs quickly on a vehicle that old. Belts, hoses, fluids, consumables like brakes clutches, and suspension parts.

If you decide on it find out when each major component was last serviced and get a receipt or the name of the shop who did the work. It really is a crap shoot when it comes to longevity. Could blow any moment and the higher the mileage the more likely intake or boost leaks exist that could cause issues and a dead engine if not addressed.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would you plan on immediately making it your daily driver? If this is going to be your one vehicle that you rely on to get to work, just consider the car's age. If it's a second car for you that you can tool around town with and work on it yourself when you have the time, then go for it if the price is right. However, in the former case, if something major happens and it requires it to be in the shop for a week, you and your boss will both be mumbling that you should have gotten an Accord.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Yeah this car would become my daily/main car. I take the bus to Uni every weekday and on the weekends I only travel a total distance of 12kms to work every weekend. So the car won't be used alot but I also gotta include the amount of driving for fun I'm going to be doing if I decide to purchase it... roughly extra 40kms per week. So overall car won't be driven that much, but the real question is how long will it last under those distances traveled, lol.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can easily rack up 3500 in repairs quickly on a vehicle that old. Belts, hoses, fluids, consumables like brakes clutches, and suspension parts.

If you decide on it find out when each major component was last serviced and get a receipt or the name of the shop who did the work. It really is a crap shoot when it comes to longevity. Could blow any moment and the higher the mileage the more likely intake or boost leaks exist that could cause issues and a dead engine if not addressed.

Thanks for your reply, true that repairs costs can rack up but I can replace belts, hoses, fluids, brake and suspension stuff myself which would save a bit on labour but clutch, engine internal and transmission would be the main cost problem lol, but at the end of the day WRX isn't the only car on the market, I'm also considering other cars Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart, Honda Torneo (Accord Euro R CL1).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.