Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. New to this forum. Im glad to see though that there is one.
So yeah as the title says Im (extremely) interested in buying me a WRX but let me give some background info first. Im 19, work full time still live with my parents. I like the 04-05 models. I mentioned to my mechanics i want to purchase one and one of the guys heart almost stopped (exaggeration of course but you get the point). He said that the head gasket is gonna give me headaches and thin out my wallet quick. Mentioned the sub frame and body rusts quick. (all this about the 04-05 particularly) Basically i want to know, is he exaggerating the problems, is he pretty accurate. And also if there are other things i may need to worry about on the car. If i do get one i am going to treat it like my child and care for it like my life depended on it. Hopefully you guys will help me decide whether to get a WRX or just an Impreza for now.

I'll mention he said if im going to buy an impreza/WRX to get no older than an '08. he said i wouldn't have to worry as much about these problems.

PS if this is the wrong subforum i apologize. Ill try to get used to this place ASAP

Thanks

· Registered
9 Posts
The head gasket problem your friend is talking about is common with almost all Subarus. Basically the head gasket goes bad around 80k to 100k miles and it's pretty pricey to fix because of the man hours required to get the job done. The cheapest I could find for my old Subaru for a shop to do a head gasket replacement was $1500.

Now, that being said, if the head gasket has already been replaced you're golden. You shouldn't have to worry about it again until another 80k miles or so. So if you happen to find that 04 or 05 model you're looking for and it's crazy cheap, it's most likely because it needs a head gasket replacement so I'd stay away from those unless you still get a good deal even after factoring in the repair cost.

As far as the rust goes, almost any car that age from up north is going to have a lot of rust problems. Typically on Subarus it starts on the rear wheel wells and can get out of hand pretty quick. If you find one without that rust all you have to do is keep it clean and keep the salt off of it and it should last you.

Those are 2 cons to Subarus, but in my opinion the pros list of a Subaru far out ways it. I have an 06 WRX and I love the heck out of that thing. Nothing else is quite like a Subaru. You won't be upset if you buy one.

Hope this helps!

· Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
30,453 Posts
I've never heard of this head gasket problem in all Subarus, but I've only been on the club for 14 years.

· Registered
497 Posts
hmm. I guess stereotypes precede any discussion. Treat each car as an individual; get it inspected.

The usual advice for getting a wrx is to find the newest, most stock (not having been previously modded), lowest mileage car you can find and afford.

My 05 has 160k miles and no issues with the head gasket.

· Banned
473 Posts
Your mechanic is high. No real offense intended. But most mechanics start to wig out when you mention anything with 2 camshafts.

The headgasket thing is mostly the SOHC base model 2.5 engines from the crappier offerings from Subaru.
A Wrx. And moreso an Sti. Is a well made car. Get one that has been loved. And do the new ownership service on it. Can get rust so try to look for a dry car.
Good ones are out there. You won't regret the experience.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
I've never heard of this head gasket problem in all Subarus, but I've only been on the club for 14 years.
It was an issue with the early phase II DOHC 2.5L NA engines.

People keep mistankenly applying it to the turbo variants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
30,453 Posts
Subaru were guilty of it too to some extent by recommending leak stopper additive for all cars including turbos. Not needed IMO. OTOH my valve cover gaskets leak yet again so I'm living with that, enough is enough. I'm due for a T belt in 50 K, I'll fix the valve covers again then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.