Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Planning transmission fluid swap

I have a 2016 STI with around 8k on it. I am looking to do a transmission fluid change

I also want to verify the amount of fluid I need:
4.25 quarts for the transmissions and front diff is what I've found
I'm not sure how much I need for the rear diff, having trouble finding this (I have not looked in the manual yet but I will shortly)

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
I wouldn't waste money changing transmission fluid this early unless there is a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't waste money changing transmission fluid this early unless there is a problem.

We've discussed this in a previous thread. I have some weird clunky shifting from 1st to 2nd. I've talked to others with the same issues and changing their trans fluid helped. $130 bux isn't much. I just need to ensure I have the right fluid amounts.

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
ThomasAndrews said:
We've discussed this in a previous thread. I have some weird clunky shifting from 1st to 2nd. I've talked to others with the same issues and changing their trans fluid helped. $130 bux isn't much. I just need to ensure I have the right fluid amounts.
Transmission fluid maintenance schedule is 60K miles.

Your car is under warranty. Take it to the dealer.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
I believe 5 quarts (so you have extra to account for spillage, etc) and 2 quarts (again, just in case of spillage) for the rear, is what I've used.

If your shifting is weird, I wouldn't worry about the rear diff fluid just yet, and just try swapping out the trans fluid. That'll save you ~$40 if you're using quality lubricants. I suggest Motul.

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
I'm aware and stand by what I said here. Check the linkages first, also update the other thread with exact situations that cause the lock out of second.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts