ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have owned a 2011 WRX sedan since May, so I have not experienced typical winter driving experience with my WRX yet.

My WRX came with a set of summer tires. Do I have to switch to winter tires if I need to travel to Reno or Lake Tahoe during the breaks?

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Depends on the weather... As of right now we haven't been getting a lot of snow, and all the roads are clear. So a trip up to Reno/Tahoe area should be a breeze with your summer tires. The only issue is that weather here is very unpredictable. So it may be sunny and warm one hour and the next hour is a full blown winter storm. I would recommend switching to your winter tires if you already have them so that you don't have to worry about a sudden turn in weather.

If you don't have winter or at least all season tires I would suggest avoiding chasing snow and icing conditions. You'll have a high likelihood of ending up in a wreck.

·
Registered
651 Posts
How long are you going to be in the area? As KHP said, the roads are clear now, but if you are staying much into December you'll be pushing it. If it does snow, it could easily dump several feet in a night and all the roads will be on chain control. You could still deal with it on summer tires, but I'd strongly suggest the snow tires. Especially if you plan on going to many ski areas/going over passes (esp. Mt. Rose).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advice, KHP. I guess I am not able to afford a set of winter tires now, I would probably stay dry :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Thanks for your advice, KHP. I guess I am not able to afford a set of winter tires now, I would probably stay dry :)
Good choice... Though once you get your set of winter tires you should be able to take the challenge with caution. I love chasing snow lol.:drive2:

Picture that I took a week ago during a 10 minute cloud clearing during a winter storm. (Mt. Rose ski resort)

IMG_0254.JPG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good choice... Though once you get your set of winter tires you should be able to take the challenge with caution. I love chasing snow lol.:drive2:

Picture that I took a week ago during a 10 minute cloud clearing during a winter storm. (Mt. Rose ski resort)

View attachment 100775
How much are your roof racks? I want to get a set, too. But same, can't really afford them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We take driving for granted. We do it so frequently that we might not frequently consider the problems and risks it involves in the best of conditions. But winter snow and ice takes those difficulties to brand new amounts. Even the most knowledgeable winter drivers can forget to take easy precautions. Cockiness and timidity are equally dangerous in these circumstances. The straightforward suggestions below may help minimize the risks and make your winter trip a little safer. You may need personal loans to pay for all of that to get your car ready. https://personalmoneynetwork.com/personal-loans/.

getting a loan is not bad especially in exchange of a safer driving...

:) have a nice trip.;)
Thanks for your great suggestion. I will consider paying extra attention on safe winter driving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts