ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
STi Pinks: Built for the STi, not the USDM one!?!?

Now, I'm in no way a suspension expert, and I don't know if this had been posted already, but I've been doing some research lately and was pretty shocked at what I found.

http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=11841&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It seems the Pinks were made for the for the JDM Sti, which most people know, but like me, did not account for the fact that the JDM Sti is about 250 - 300lbs lighter. I don't know how or if this can negatively affect our struts, and as said in the link it's purley speculation. I do remember reading a few posts where people who had a USDM Sti + the Pinks were expierencing Strut problems, and a few even had total strut failure. :eek:

While still considering the pinks, because there is no hardcore/concrete evidense against them, I'm thinking about reconsidering my decision about buying them. I'm thinking about going to a Spring that was specifically built for the USDM STi and nothing else, such as the Eibach pro-kit and the upcoming prodrives, whose drops are rumored to be around -20mm, but prodrive still deems their spring rates as classified.

Link to Prodrives on Sti: http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=11693

Anyways, I was just seeking the opinion of you guys cause you all know a hell'uva alot more than me. What are your thoughts on the pinks. Would the Eibachs or Prodrives be "worthy" contenders. All input/opinions are welcome and appreciated. :)

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that the part#'s of the JDM GDB struts and the USDM GDB are the same. FHI has a history of not changing struts much year to year (springs yes, not much on struts).

The JDM car is a little lighter, if they were to change damping between the US J spec cars, it would make sense to give the US one more damping (not less). If the jdm struts can "handle" the STi v8 pink lowering springs, the US ones should as well.

It's possible that Prodrive will come out w/ a better spring, don't know. I do know they include instructions on changing out the bump stop w/ their new springs- the Prodrive pieces have been out in the UK for some time now.

It's possible the additional lowering of the springs is the culprit on strut failure. The v8 cars already come 10mm lower than the v7 ones- if they didn't make much for changes to the v8 struts (different part #'s, but don't know what they changed) then dropping an ~ additional 20mm might be too much<- this pure specualtion, but seeing that Prodrive is including shorter bumpstops, might add some credence to this theory.

Big Sky

·
Registered
542 Posts
I thought the difference in weight was more along the lines of ~90 lbs. :confused:

I looked up the vehicle weight on the japan site and got 1460 kg for the STi, ours comes out to about 1496. I'm not sure where the 200-300lb figure is coming from. Interestingly, they list gross vehicle weight at 1735 kg in japan.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MasiveMunkey said:
Yeah the link was comparing the Spec C to the usdm STI. Not the jdm STI to the usdm STI.
It appears, the guy in the first link was a little off in his weight, and I was wrong for not double checking them.

As supermarkus said the 2005 JDM STi is around 1460kg, it's weight jumps to 1735kg with a "Manual Airconditioner" and sun roof according to their site.

2005 JDM STi: 3218lbs
2005 JDM STi (w/ AC + Sun Roof): 3825lbs
2005 Spec C: 3020lbs

2005 USDM STi: 3298lbs

But these weights are for the '05, I'll see if I can find the weights on the '04 later, cause IIRC the 05's are a little more beefier than the '04s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts