Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2,210 Posts
Ahem. The question should probably be 'Link or UTEC?' Depending upon your needs, the PossumLink could be regarded as a vastly superior solution to the Unichip or as a dangerous piece of electronics. There is a reason why it costs exactly twice as much as the Unichip.

The Unichip is a very sophisticated piggyback computer and must be mapped by a tuning shop with specialized equipment. It is constantly battling with the ECU to maintain your timing curves.

The PossumLink is a standalone computer that entirely replaces the Subaru EMS. While it is not nearly so sophisticated as the stock ECU, it allows complete control over all of your tuneable engine parameters. The parameters that you program-in, are what you get. There's no Subaru ECU to protect you. I can walk outside to my car right now, hook up my laptop, enter some bogus fuel and timing values, remove the knock threshold, and cause my motor to immediately grenade itself. You gotta love that kinda control. ;)

-Pace

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
pace said:
There's no Subaru ECU to protect you. I can walk outside to my car right now, hook up my laptop, enter some bogus fuel and timing values, remove the knock threshold, and cause my motor to immediately grenade itself. You gotta love that kinda control. ;)

-Pace
I LOVE IT! :) And congratulations on the 12's my friend!

Aloha,
Richard...

P.S. Any thoughts on the Utec vs. the Link?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will i lose use of the thing's the stock ecu control's in the car? or have to splice in 135 wires?

·
2,210 Posts
l.i.wrx said:
will i lose use of the thing's the stock ecu control's in the car? or have to splice in 135 wires?
The TurboXS Unichip comes with a plug-n-pray harness that requires no splicing of wires. Since the stock ECU is still in place to manage the mundane stuff, you lose nothing.

The Link is a complete replacement for the OEM ECU. It also plugs in and requires no splicing of wires. The Link however requires a certain amount of time dedicated to setting up the tedious stuff such as; idle, cold start fuel compensation, hot start fuel compensation, AC volts and fuel compensation, and many other housekeeping tasks that most WRX owners take for granted.

It sounds to me as though you are the Unichip poster child. If you wait around a month or so, there will be a bunch of Unichips being sold off for cheap as people ditch them in favor of the new UTEC solution.

-Pace

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pace said:

The TurboXS Unichip comes with a plug-n-pray harness that requires no splicing of wires. Since the stock ECU is still in place to manage the mundane stuff, you lose nothing.

The Link is a complete replacement for the OEM ECU. It also plugs in and requires no splicing of wires. The Link however requires a certain amount of time dedicated to setting up the tedious stuff such as; idle, cold start fuel compensation, hot start fuel compensation, AC volts and fuel compensation, and many other housekeeping tasks that most WRX owners take for granted.

It sounds to me as though you are the Unichip poster child. If you wait around a month or so, there will be a bunch of Unichips being sold off for cheap as people ditch them in favor of the new UTEC solution.

-Pace
You gathered that i am the "Unichip poster child" from what little i said ?? Dont you think that is akin to a quantum leap on your part? And quite frankly i am not a big fan of dastek/the unichip.

·
2,210 Posts
is2scooby said:

I LOVE IT! :) And congratulations on the 12's my friend!

Aloha,
Richard...

P.S. Any thoughts on the Utec vs. the Link?
Well, I haven't been fortunate enough to have my hands on the UTEC. From what I know, I would be willing to make the following comments:

The UTEC is a piggyback computer, and comes with the benefits therein, but few of the drawbacks. It will allow the ECU to manage the mundane housekeeping tasks. It is user-tunable, like the Link. Many of the features that are being touted as the latest and greatest in the UTEC, such as raising of the rev-limiter, closed-loop boost control, Lambda diagnosis, etc. etc. have been present in the PossumLink since it's inception. The Link is more of a known quantity, and that includes bugs. The Link has a more sophisticated and user-friendly GUI. The UTEC will come preloaded with base maps that more closely match your modifications. The UTEC costs $450 less; $700 less if you are the original owner of a TurboXS Unichip. The UTEC, being TurboXS' flagship product will likely come with more responsive support in terms of bug fixes, software updates, etc.

Finally, I read that the UTEC uses MAF-based tuning. Somebody else can probably confirm or deny this and better articulate its tradeoffs compared to the PossumLink which reads from the MAP sensor. Certainly it has implications as regards changes in air density due to weather or altitude, etc.

-Pace

·
Registered
160 Posts
pace I think you pretty much nailed it.

l.i.wrx I think he (and I) peg you as a Unichip customer because if you're asking which is better, then you don't realize that they are intended for two completely different WRX owners. Clearly you could take it upon yourself to learn and make the decision to go standalone, but right now, you are the target audience of the Unichip type stuff.

Unichip: "I don't want to or know how to mess with tuning. Give me something to plug in and go. I don't change mods all that often." Install time: 30 minutes. Setup time: 5 minutes (If it knocks, you're screwed; send it back or get it dynoed, which you should have done in the first place).

S-AFC: "I don't want to pay for a standalone or give up the safety nets of the stock ECU. I can wire a little bit if it'll save me lots of money. I can do some basic fuel tuning." Install time: 1~2 hours (to do it right). Setup time: 1 hour (if you've done it before).

UTEC: "I don't want to wire stuff in. I want to be able to tune some but have a fallback (preset channels) since I'm just learning moderate tuning. I don't mind revisiting DOS-like interfaces. :)"

Link: "Yeah it has bugs but it's a great entry standalone custom made for the WRX. I still don't want to wire stuff in but I change mods a lot and want to fine tune everything myself without sending a chip out all the time. I don't want to revisit DOS." Install time: 30 minutes. Setup time: 1~3 hours (to get running decent, not perfect).

TEC3: "I have lots of money to spend on a standalone. I love to tune and I'm pretty experienced at it. I don't mind wiring. I want high resolution sensors, robust tuning system, capability for wideband closed-loop , along with the often overlooked improved ignition system." Install time: 3 days (to do it right) . Setup time: 3~5 hours (to get running decent, not perfect) if you don't have a decent map.

These are listed in order of what I consider superior products.

·
2,210 Posts
l.i.wrx: The poster-child comment was not intended as an insult. I ran one myself for 6 months. The basic questions that you asked lead me to believe that you had either done little research of your own volition, or that you are not a wrench-head type. Asking which of the Link or Unichip is superior is analogous to a woman asking whether a vibrator or a man is 'better'. They satisfy different needs.

If that sounds patronizing then give us more information regarding your buildup experience and your goals for the car, and then we can attempt to relate our knowledge of these products to your specific application.

WizardBlack gave a pretty good generalized rundown of the pros & cons of the most popular solution. Another is the Greddy E-Manage. I would slot it in between the UTEC and S-AFC, although I believe it is actually a standalone computer.

Best regards,

-Pace

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
pace said:
Ahem. The question should probably be 'Link or UTEC?' Depending upon your needs, the PossumLink could be regarded as a vastly superior solution to the Unichip or as a dangerous piece of electronics. There is a reason why it costs exactly twice as much as the Unichip.

The Unichip is a very sophisticated piggyback computer and must be mapped by a tuning shop with specialized equipment. It is constantly battling with the ECU to maintain your timing curves.

-Pace
EXACTLY. Link and Unichip are in different leagues. Link and UTEC are on par, and I'd give the nod to the UTEC simply because it is newer technology designed with the WRX in mind.

AEM will eventually GET THEIR ACT together and release their ECU, but by then, the UTEC and Link will own the marketshare and have the most programmers in the US.

Your other option is a remapped stock ECU. Ecutek and Godspeed offer this option, but only one gets mapped in Canada instead of Autstralia. ;)

-Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pace said:
l.i.wrx: The poster-child comment was not intended as an insult. I ran one myself for 6 months. The basic questions that you asked lead me to believe that you had either done little research of your own volition, or that you are not a wrench-head type. Asking which of the Link or Unichip is superior is analogous to a woman asking whether a vibrator or a man is 'better'. They satisfy different needs.

If that sounds patronizing then give us more information regarding your buildup experience and your goals for the car, and then we can attempt to relate our knowledge of these products to your specific application.

WizardBlack gave a pretty good generalized rundown of the pros & cons of the most popular solution. Another is the Greddy E-Manage. I would slot it in between the UTEC and S-AFC, although I believe it is actually a standalone computer.

Best regards,

-Pace
You know you hear "poster child" and you think"jerry's kids" no matter though no blood no foul. Actually i only have a rudimentary grasp of the engine control options for the wrx(as if you couldnt tell). I guess i should have stated that i was a neophyte off the bat (oops) . Now with that out of the way what exactly is UTEC??;)

·
Registered
456 Posts
i agree.....the UTEC and other hi tech options are great.......IF you know what you are doing!!!! and ONLY then....i would love to play around and learn about them ( on someone elses car of course ) but for now i'll stick with a Uni chip.....I AM the poster child for them ok??? Dont go honing in on my royalties Damnit! *laughs* i am a newbie and freely admit it....i spend time hear to learn although all the BS makes it hard!
sifting thru the BS....friend to all,
DML

·
Registered
142 Posts
re:

i think someone in the i-club mentioned something about making a more user-friendly gui for the UTEC.....so UTEC owners won't have to settle for DOS.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I was at Vishnu Performance last week and they were telling me that they'll have some kind of standalone ECU replacement out fairly soon. Sounds like the one GodSpeed is selling, but not sure if it is EXACTLY the same or not.

-Jason-

·
Registered
456 Posts
must be nice to be able to GO there.....LOL is that the way into the 'secret service club'???ALMOST makes me want to live in that area!!! but not quite....
DML

1 - 18 of 18 Posts