ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#$%^&*&%$#@# Piece of stainless/aluminum came up from under an SUV and hit my Subi :(

Well I made it 5.5 years without anything other than a couple rock chips and minor scuffs. Tonight on the way home from a oh so wonderful day at work, I got hit with a large piece of metal.

Was in the 3 lane of 6 when all of a sudden the SUV in front of me swerves like mad, hits the piece of said metal with 2 wheels and kicked it up into my car. Ironically had they just gone straight, nothing would have happened. Piece of metal was about 24" x 40", I was doing about 25mph.

Nothing structural damaged, but hood is dented in 4-5 spots and scratched. Hood scoop cracked in several places. Bumper has several deep gouges and scratched paint. Drivers side fender scratched, grille toast, and windshield dinged.

I'm betting $2000-$2800 in damage.

Anyone got parts for sale?

photo-52.jpg photo-53.jpg

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,139 Posts
That really sucks man! :sadwave:

Hope it isn't too much to fix.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
:sadwave:

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
holy ****. that sucks :(

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Weak sauce dude...Get a license plate number?

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Sorry I got to the metal first.. Next time I'll just shoot back a banana peel all Mario kart style.

I feel your pain, it'll get fixed soon tho man. Hope you don't have progressive =P

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hope you don't have progressive =P
No I got Geico. I have been pretty happy with them over the last 10-15 years, although I have found that when something like this happens and it is on Geico's dime, they get stingy with their money. When someone else hits you and you go through Geico to handle the claim, they "Make it rain" and cups overflow.

So it'll be a busy day of going to subi dealer for parts quote, going to my own body shop for parts quote, then seeing their adjuster at 1pm. Hopefully they will cut me a "fair" check. Last time something like this happened (bout 10 years and 2 DD's ago), they way way under bid the claim and the body shop had to file for supplements for $1800 or more.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
well, atleast it is all cosmetic damage, not the functional bits. Good luck with the Insurance adjuster

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
sucks.. but could have been worse.. at least it wasn't through the grill and aced the condenser/radiator..

keep us posted on how it works out. Here in VB there's crap on the road all the time. Last one I avoided was a giant (read 3/4 of the tire) chunk of re-tread.

That and I hate soccer mom's in suv's.. or .. just suv's in general.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Sorry to hear. Things could have been worse.

It's sad the person ahead of you didn't have the decency to stop and at least make sure you were alright. One can only hope that karma is a ruthless ***** and bites them. The same thing happened to my uncle this spring, only at highway speed (they didn't stop either).

Best of luck on getting things patched up quickly and thoroughly.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Ouch sorry to hear dude. As others have said, it could've been way worse...so I guess in a way you lucked out.

Hopefully you get everything fixed up soon.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I suppose I'll play devil's advocate for funsies...(shocking!)

It may be preemptive to blame the person in front...who knows, perhaps the object was kicked out in front of them, or difficult to see for other reasons.

Also, Jeremy, and I'm asking purely out of curiosity, and not to judge..but did you have enough distance between the car in front and yourself? I ask because I've observed in traffic that tailgaters seem to be surprised when things happen suddenly in front of them. Anything will happen suddenly if you're cruising at 75mph, 15 feet off someone's bumper.

Of course, you're a techy type, so I would expect you to be more aware of things like inertia and momentum. :tongue:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts