Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is the solar car i helped build and race last year... since this is a car forum thought you guys might want to check it out... hehe

a little info... its a chromemoly steel frame and the body is a carbon fiber - nomex - kevlar composite. the car is capable of goin about 70 with a 0-60 of about 3 years hehe. It's uncomfortable as hell especially when racing from chicago to los angeles in july... :) when its like 120 degrees in there.

we didn't do to great.... this was our first solar car attempt and our thing was a beast... too heavy hehe. also we didnt have time to design and build front wheel fairings and exposed wheels cause TONS of aerodynamic drag. lets just say though if it were a rally race the other cars would have gotten smoked with their 1" suspension travels. :)

i'm enclosing one pic of the car... but the website has hundreds from all phases of construction to the actual race and pics of other team's cars. the website is :

http://www.sunrayce.northwestern.edu/media.html#asc01

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh what the hell i might as well post some more pics :)

AND..
a pic of me... I'm the attractive eastern european on the right in the dark Beograd shirt (YUGOSLAVIA FOREVER :) )

and check out my dreadlocks before i chopped them off! 5 years of nappy head! whOOOOOOO!

...sorry for all the pics BUT YOU MUST SEE hehe
THE GUTS:

check out our front suspension F1 style with a rocker arm actuating a horizontally mounted strut above...

a pic of the rear suspension and power point trackers

And to continue my vanity theme... a pic of me passed the hell out in the trailer... the last 5 days before the race i got a total of 8 hours of sleep... i don't recomend this by the end i was completely delerious and halucinating

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah our car was stock class which meant it could only use Lead Acid batteries and had restrictions on the solar cell type. basically the batteries weight about 275 lbs so that's a little heavy (but all stock classers were in hte same boat)... the open class can use lithium ions which for the same amount of energy storage weigh about 70-80 lbs. Our route didn't take us through colorado we went through northern texas, new mexico and arizona. there definitely were some major up hills though, but since it's an electric car, it has regenerative braking (the motor turns into a generator)... so on the downhill we could get some of our energy back. there was one 1000+ downhill outside of LA that completely recharged our battery pack... hehe. it was a pretty wicked hill the regen brake was full on and we were still going 55 mph down the hill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Speaking of alternative energy sources for cars, do you know anyone who runs or has ever run one of those veg oil / "grease car" conversions on a car?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts