ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm dreaming of a year from now, when I'll be done with school and hopefully have free time and a garage...but still limited funds...
And I wonder what would be a good "Buy A Beater and Make it Fast & Pretty for cheap" project car.....

I like old, lightweight, RWD platforms.
Which would you choose? Have any others that you like or are currently working on?

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
I think my favorite project car on a limited budget would have to be a FFR Cobra kit car. Nothing like it for 25,000 thousand dollars and a several hundred hours of hard work.

As for cheap project cars I'd love to build a fox body mustang with around 350 hp. Nothing to crazy but enough to toss you in your seats.

I would also love to do any older Supra with a turbo and just mod the crap out of it.

Presently through I must say if I had the time and money I would pick up a used HF CRX, toss in a turbo'd motor and some nice interior with a 5 speed and just run the heck out of it. A conservitive 170 hp should show mid to high 13's. Very possible hp with a LS 1.6 and a simple T-25....Grrrr I want.

·
The Legendary Bad Ass (aka; Buzzz)
5,400 Posts
I have stated this before, but still stand by it.
1972 Chevy subruban with an injected 540 or a dual turbo 509, Jeffco trans and Dana 60 rear. Big tub in the back, yet still fit seven confortably. Like to see a mid 10 second time slip with a license plate. Give me a year and a half.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good suggestions....

The HF would be real easy (I assume you meant LS 1.8L)...but it lacks the character I'm looking for....

The 2002 could be dope..but some of the model years aren't as nice as others. I'd have to choose carefully. I also like that there was a turbo available...that means there are strong parts out there.
It's also cool that my Dad took my Mom to the hospital when she was in labor in a red BMW 2002...so it's got that nostalgic value too!
This might just be my car....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow...good ideas. For some reason the American cars scare me...they seem like too big of a hassle...maybe it's just because I know jack dick about them.
Datsun Z+LS1=teh bomb though...that would be nice

I like the 911+EJ20 idea...has that ever been done? Is the porche a flat 6? What tranny would you use....and the mind wanders...

I just joined up with a BMW forum, but the 2002 population is hurting. We'll see what I can pick up.

Anyone see the 510 in the new SCC? Creamed my martha focking pants....beautiful. I may just look that guy up and go check it out. Torinos are hot.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
scottigee said:
I like the 911+EJ20 idea...has that ever been done? Is the porche a flat 6? What tranny would you use....and the mind wanders...
Didn't someone do the 4g63 into a Porsche 911 swap? I think it was Mike P____? I forgot...he was in the Mischief dvd with his 4g63 pick up truck...iirc it was an insane amount of work to get that engine in there.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I would have to say an old Datsun Z with an RB25DET or RB26DETT swapped into it. The LS1 V8 swaps are for drag only. I like that you stay with a nissan inline 6 just like they came. I was pretty close to getting one and doing the swap this summer. A company is also making kits for mounting an SR20 into the old Zs. A swapped Z is my ideal sports car: fast, lightweight, nimble, dead sexy looking, and semi-exotic since you dont see too many of them around. If you go with any models before 1974 any swap is technically legal since you wont ever have to emmissions test your car.
www.hybridz.org check it out

-Bobby

1 - 19 of 19 Posts