Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor is a commerical photographer.
Just the back part of his camera cost 11 grand.
Pretty crazy stuff!
Oh yeah, its also 16 mega pixels.
Each shot takes up 48 megs to.
He has one gig flash cards, costing 600 each :eek:

·
1,379 Posts
What brand & model is it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yea, pro cameras are very expensive things. The new digital stuff is very expensive, but you have to pay to play so to speak. There are some great digital backs out now, but most of the cameras are still based on the tried and true pro setups (Hassy, Mamiya, Rollei, etc). The quality of digital is not quite up to par with the medium and large format films yet, but the speed and flexibility more than makes up for it. Besides, if the target media is print, you only need as much resolution as print requires. But, those things are awesome, I'd love to get my hands on some of that gear. I'm going to PhotoExpo in NYC in a few weeks, hopefully they'll have alot of that gear on display.

jb

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
yeah i dont have much to add other than that i am a photographer also. the latch that holds my film door broke this weekend, at the worst time ever. in addition to exposing half a roll of film shot in Florence, Italy, I couldnt take a single picture on the day trip i took to chinqueterra (5 towns) which was one of the most beautiful places i've ever been. i made sure to bring home some mental pictures.
well anyways, i like talking about photography, so if anyone else out there is into it then lets keep this thread going... feel free to post a fav pic or two also...
o-|-<) bryan
p.s. i'm pursuing photojournalism as a profession, but am interested in, and enjoy many kinds of photography
p.s.s. anyone have a hookup at an awesome newspaper or magazine for a photojournalism internship this summer? i'm starting to look very soon... (email [email protected], thanks!)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Right now, I'm using an Olympus digital SLR (with a fixed lens, not interchangeable) for my website stuff - it's a terrific camera, and I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of it. I hardly ever shoot film any more, except for special occasions.

But I want a digital body to go with my Canon EOS lenses in the worst way! :p I just can't justify spending $2500 for one, at least not until my Olympus finally breaks...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
PNG said:
Right now, I'm using an Olympus digital SLR (with a fixed lens, not interchangeable) for my website stuff - it's a terrific camera, and I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of it. I hardly ever shoot film any more, except for special occasions.

But I want a digital body to go with my Canon EOS lenses in the worst way! :p I just can't justify spending $2500 for one, at least not until my Olympus finally breaks...
I'm with you on that one! I wish I could afford a nice digital camera to compliment my 35mm..... oh well, one of these days....one of these days.:p

·
Registered
907 Posts
ill be getting a Nikon F5 soon, digital cams are cool and all but nothing beats a true 35mm film SLR...

·
1,379 Posts
I might have agreed with you back when I worked at a photolab, but now that I have to pay for processing... I'm inclined toward the digital camp. My Nikon had been gathering dust for much of the year until I finally bit the bullet and got a Coolpix 990. I knew I'd be giving up a great deal of flexibility and resolution, but in the end, I can say with confidence that it was worth it. I can actually take my camera out and shoot like crazy, just like I used to. That's a good feeling. But it does have its drawbacks....

The other weekend I got to shoot an autocross with my friend's EOS-1d, and it did away with most of the things that annoy me about the CP990- most notably, the delay between hitting the button on the shutter firing. But its record time was also much faster, which was nice. It was really very close to using a 35mm.

I'd kill for a Nikon D100, which has a sensor big enough to correct what was IMO the biggest flaw of digital SLRs to date- the focal length handicap. And 6 megapixels, which IMO, will mean resolution much closer to 35mm. It's where my $2000 would go, if I had it.

Then there's the Canon EOS-1Ds. Way overpriced at $8k, but knowing that the tech is out there to build an 11mpxl digital SLR compatible with 35mm lenses just warms my heart, because I know when I'm finally in a position to replace my 990, I should be able to afford one. :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
AutoXJunkie said:
I might have agreed with you back when I worked at a photolab, but now that I have to pay for processing...
IMO, that's the biggest thing digital has going for it. It's just getting way too expensive to develop all of the film. I used to take rolls and rolls of pics, but I can't afford to do that anymore. Actually, my EOS A2E hasn't seen too much action lately. I need to pull it out and start snapping again....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts