ClubWRX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i know this has probably been answered before but on perrins website they say you do not have to tune for there intakes. If you are running a stock tuned ecu that is. Is this true or safe, to not tune for there intakes. Thanks also i have a 2011 wrx

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
I'm not sure about the '08+ cars. Previous MYs required a tune (as per testes1010).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked under the 06-07 years and it doesnt say anything about not tuning like it does for 08+ so maybe its just the newer cars that dont need tuned which is kinda hard to believe.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
teddy37 said:
I looked under the 06-07 years and it doesnt say anything about not tuning like it does for 08+ so maybe its just the newer cars that dont need tuned which is kinda hard to believe.
Do you have any way to monitor fueling?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
You should be perfectly fine assuming you don't over-oil the filter and cause MAF issues. Technically the older models don't require a tune to run with an intake either, but the answer to the question varies a lot in terms of the particular intake, your location (i.e. altitude), and what you use the car for/how you drive it.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
from what ive heard you have to tune for an intake, im tuning mine when i put my intake on tomorrow

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Perrin provides a map for their intakes if you buy the AP from them.If they say their intakes do not need a tune as such,why do they have intake specific maps?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
teflon_jones said:
Technically the older models don't require a tune to run with an intake either, but the answer to the question varies a lot in terms of the particular intake, your location (i.e. altitude), and what you use the car for/how you drive it.
Have you seen the MAF scaling changes that need to be made with the various stock-sized intakes on previous MYs?

·
Registered
141 Posts
From the Perrin website:

"PERRIN Intakes will run safely with all stock cars, running stock ECUs. No modifications are required."

"For clients with re-calibrated ECU's (Reflash or similar), or cars with aftermarket parts installed. This intake will require custom programming due to slight changes in AFR. Please contact our Tech Department for additional details."

My take on it is that if it is your only engine mod, you dont have to tune. but if you have anthing else done, you should re-tune.

If you plan to get an Accessport, get a supported intake like the Cobb SF or AEM. If you only want the sound, i think the Perrin is safe.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
From what I've read .... intakes don't so much for the newer models. Id save your money for a tune or for a downpipe.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Have you seen the MAF scaling changes that need to be made with the various stock-sized intakes on previous MYs?
Like I said a lot depends on how you use the car, your particular location, your particular car itself, your other mods, and which intake you use. There is no absolute answer to this question.

From what I've read .... intakes don't so much for the newer models. Id save your money for a tune or for a downpipe.
And that would be exactly opposite of the truth.

If perrin says its ok im sure it is.
They also say it adds a bunch of HP/TQ. Do you trust that too?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Im glad you can bring your infinite knowledge to the discussion. I don't particularly care if the intake does much for the car or not. There are quite a few people who would disagree with you... and while im not some huge perrin fan I think they know more about their own intakes than yourself. Crazy thought I guess though huh?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Trust whoever you want. Obviously Perrin speaks the absolute truth with their claimed HP/TQ gains with the intake so you should just rely on that and ignore everything everybody here says.

Don't come asking for advice and then bash very experienced, knowledgeable members. The cars in my signature have more money in mods than you've ever spent on cars in your life.

Adios.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Trust whoever you want. Obviously Perrin speaks the absolute truth with their claimed HP/TQ gains with the intake so you should just rely on that and ignore everything everybody here says.

Don't come asking for advice and then bash very experienced, knowledgeable members. The cars in my signature have more money in mods than you've ever spent on cars in your life.
Adios.
LMAO!!! Where's the cookie icon somebody? lololol

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
You'll make friends around here quickly....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.