ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed the perrin crank pulley. The car seem to idle a lot lower. When I put in in first gear and drove it out slowly, the car stalled. I'm guessing it's because the ECU haven't got the time to get used to the pulley yet. I drove it around for about 15 mins to see how the car feels. I couldn't tell the difference in performance. Honestly, I think it pulls a bit slower? Or maybe it's just in my head because the car stalled on me at first. The only noticable difference is like i said before, the idle is really low (idles at 500rpm now). The car haven't stall on me since. I drove home and reset my ECU and then fired it up again. Idle is still at 500rpm. Haven't really got a chance to really push the car yet because it is traffic hours. Going to push it hard tonight to see the difference. Also, Monday I will head out to the track to see the real performance of this mod. I will keep you update....

BTW, is it normal for it to idle so low?

Mods: upipe, turboback, blitz sus, mbc, and now pulley...

-John

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
i just installed mine on weds this week. i noticed that the idle is down to 500rpm as well. no stalling when i first took mine out for a drive. i've run it pretty hard (up to redline) over the last 2 day, and no problems. i also noticed that it doesn't feel sluggish when taking off in 1st with the A/C on.

my mods were Cobb Stg2, Helix DP and GReddy Evo2. the VF30 goes in tomorrow :D

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
qoncept said:
The stall had nothing to do with the ECU. It was because YOU hadn't gotten used to the pulley yet. A lightened pulley isn't going to give you any power, period. It gives you better throttle response.
by saying i haven't got used to the pulley yet meaning it was my driving that made it stalled? hmm... i guess the rpm is so low that i haven't got used to it and stalled during first? yes, pulley does help in throttle response. it also means that i shaved off about 100lbs for the weight. comparing the stock and perrin pulley by it weight is like day and night. you can straight up tell why this mod would shaved off that much lbs. however, butt dyno isn't going to be noticed with this mod. for example, try driving your girlfriend, who weighs about 100lbs. then try driving without her and see if you will be able to tell the difference in performance. but everyone would know that by shaving off 100lbs, you shaved off about .1 sec of your quarter mile timeslip at the track. therefore, i think this mod would be a decent gain for the price you paid.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Only thing I noticed after I installed mine was that the engine LOVED to rev. The RPMs drop a lot quicker and seem to run to redline a tad quicker as well. The only thing I've noticed is the A/C struggles a bit when at a stop...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Quack said:
i just installed mine on weds this week. i noticed that the idle is down to 500rpm as well. no stalling when i first took mine out for a drive. i've run it pretty hard (up to redline) over the last 2 day, and no problems. i also noticed that it doesn't feel sluggish when taking off in 1st with the A/C on.

my mods were Cobb Stg2, Helix DP and GReddy Evo2. the VF30 goes in tomorrow :D
mine always idles at 500... my car is suppose to be stock...

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Pretty sure 750 rpm is the normal idle point for this car.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Did you ever get to the track WiCkeDrEx? Also, is that time in your sig with your current mods? Any EM? Do you recommend the Blitz intake? Sorry for all the questions, trying to decide on what to get for my ride.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
i went to the track yesterday and had a bad day. i guess i only have myself to blame for messing up my launch and got bad sixty feet time. it was a very hot day. i think i had one good launch, but some how my sixty feet turned out bad like those other launches. also, i had a hard time shifting from 1st to 2nd now because the rpm just flew right up after 5k so i redlined it a couple time. i tried not to redline it after but it's harder to shift right at 7k now. i think i have to shift much sooner to hit it right at 7k because the rpm seems to bounce up 500rpm everytime i shift. the engine seems to rev a lot faster after 5k. any input?

btw, i didn't have a hard time shifting 2nd to third before this mod.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1CLNWRX said:
Did you ever get to the track WiCkeDrEx? Also, is that time in your sig with your current mods? Any EM? Do you recommend the Blitz intake? Sorry for all the questions, trying to decide on what to get for my ride.
that time was without blitz sus and pulley. the rest of the mods listed was what help me land that time. i couldn't even break that time yesterday. not even close. like .4 away from that time. :confused:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
WiCkeDrEx said:
btw, i didn't have a hard time shifting 2nd to third before this mod.
might be bacuse your rpm is dropping faster than normal. And therefore the syncros have to work harder / more / loonger to shift into gear.. With a light flywheel you will have the same affect.

Just my a tought...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Well adding a lighter flywheel should give the same affect only more notisable.. Since our engines have so small camshaft I will install a pully kit on my engine when I rebuild it next time.

Hopefully I will get revs like a motorbike ;) lol.. I guess it have to relearn revmatching and stuff... But that would only take 30 min.. ;)

Keep us updated on you experience with the pullys..

Btw did you only change the crank pully or others as well? Is it underdriven or not?

Ang give us a pic :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts