ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a perrin cold air intake on my 2012 WRX and I have notice when I get on it and my RPM are between 4000 and 5000 the car is bogging a little. I retighted everything thinking there may have been a leak somewhere but the same thing is happening.

ANY IDEAS?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
What are you using for a tune?

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
If you have not tuned for the intake then my guess is that your car is going lean, probably dangerously so.. it's probably causing knock too..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have not tuned for the intake then my guess is that your car is going lean, probably dangerously so.. it's probably causing knock too..

According to perrin you do not need a tuner with there intake.......... I was just on the phone with them.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
MY-WRX said:
According to perrin you do not need a tuner with there intake.......... I was just on the phone with them.
Nothing against Perrin (I have no experience with their '08+ intakes), but they may have an agenda. If they tell you that you need to spend an additional $XXX on a custom tune to use their intake, how many would they sell?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
MY-WRX said:
Yeah I am sure however i know others that have had it installed with no tune
What was their AF Learning?

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Let's see...car was running fine before the intake. Intake goes on with no tune and car acts up.....

Try putting the stock intake back on and see if the problem doesn't go away.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Easy Turbo, only a question but your statement does make sense. Like I said i was told it did not need a tuner so i got it but it seems to me it does.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Easy Turbo, only a question but your statement does make sense. Like I said i was told it did not need a tuner so i got it but it seems to me it does.
I did not mean that in a rude way. I honestly think the best way to figure it out is to go back with the stock intake. At least until you can get a tune in place for the CAI.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
You can continue using it if you tune.

You have 4 options

1.AP purchased from Perrin with a map for their intake

2.Torqued Performance map via Tactrix/AP. Torqued Performance

3.Pro tune

4.Take the intake off & save your money for Stage 1/Stage2

If you are not looking to do anything more to the car,the cheapest route would be Torque Performance map via Tactrix

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can continue using it if you tune.

You have 4 options

1.AP purchased from Perrin with a map for their intake

2.Torqued Performance map via Tactrix/AP. Torqued Performance

3.Pro tune

4.Take the intake off & save your money for Stage 1/Stage2

If you are not looking to do anything more to the car,the cheapest route would be Torque Performance map via Tactrix
Do you think I did any damage running it like that ?

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Lol,no worries.

CEL=Check Engine Light.Like,are the dash lights flashing like a Christmas tree?

If not,don't worry about it.Either get a tune or take the CAI off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took it off. I was going to get a cobb AP tuner but it is $600 any other good cheaper options?

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Like I mentioned above.If you have a laptop with Windows you can go the Tactrix & TP route,which is cheaper & probably better.

But I would seriously suggest you read up before you do whatever you plan on doing.

Also be aware about warranty related issues before flashing your ECU.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts