ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new here, I have a bone stock 2016 Subaru WRX I bought 2 months ago used with 37k miles. Due to the FA24DIT being direct injection I wanted to install a Perrin Air Oil Separator. I ended up buying and installing it and a month later I wanted to check on it. When I pulled off intercooler to inspect hoses there was a slight amount of oil in the intercooler, which was a red flag. I then looked at the top most tube of AOS (where clean air should be coming out) and the hose and fitting had a coating of a white oily substance coming from it. It is spring time and occasionally gets below freezing where I live, so I know about condensation building up. I also left in the foam filter which Perrin does not recommend if you live in a cold climate. Thinking about removing it. Also same white oily substance coming from both front and rear crankcase vent tubes to AOS. Also noticed coolant level lower than normal. To me, this all sounds like a head gasket leak, but upon inspection of my oil dipstick, there's not any white goop, while my oil fill cap is goopy with white substance. Is there any other way oil could be mixing with coolant being sent through combustion chamber?
Show less

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I should add I cleaned engine bay last week (possible source of water mixing with oil) but shouldn't lead to oily substance in intercooler still.

·
11,226 Posts
An AOS will drop everything in the oil sump. Water, oils, debris, whatever. drain and check the oil and see if it's milky.

Sometimes in cold climates if the oil isn't allowed to get to temp and stay there it won't burn off the moisture in it. That could be an issue if you drive a lot of short trips.

Your wrx also doesn't have a fa24dit. That isn't even a Subaru engine. It has the fa20f. The only fa24 engine is the fa24f and it's in the ascent, legacy and outback.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An AOS will drop everything in the oil sump. Water, oils, debris, whatever. drain and check the oil and see if it's milky.

Sometimes in cold climates if the oil isn't allowed to get to temp and stay there it won't burn off the moisture in it. That could be an issue if you drive a lot of short trips.

Your wrx also doesn't have a fa24dit. That isn't even a Subaru engine. It has the fa20f. The only fa24 engine is the fa24f and it's in the ascent, legacy and outback.
Sorry typo meant fa20f. Also this is a photo from the instructions and this tube (AOS Vent Hose) is collecting some of oil/moisture mix, which leads to the intake system. Could there be an issue with the Oil drain hose which connects AOS to Turbo Sump Vent Hose?

·
11,226 Posts
I don't know if it's normal I've not had one installed. I do know that catch cans are nasty with a capital N

1 - 5 of 5 Posts