ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After asking my wife for this for 2 years I finally got it for Christmas. I installed the short shift adapter on Monday and wanted to put my thoughts on here in case anyone else was looking at this part. First off, it was cheap - I think around $60 through Perrin (on sale) and came with free bushings.

Install was easy, I am not mechanically inclined and figured everything out, I set the adapter at 49 cm (close to the shortest throw but not quite) and am very pleased with the results. It's like driving a different car, the shifts feel much tighter and the throws are about half the distance (to the point I thought it wasn't in gear). Overall there's not a noticable difference in shifter height and I paired it with a momo subaru knob. It really has improved the feel of my car. I would say it's almost a no-brainer for the cost and install time. If you have the extra cash, I've heard a full kit (like Kart Boy) is better, but I'm content with the Perrin adapter for now.

I did have a question about the bushings, as I said I have no experience working on cars, and don't have the tools (jack stands etc) to install the bushings myself - my Subaru dealership said they could do it for me for around $100. I've heard the bushings make a bigger difference than the short shifters, so my question is, would it be worth it to spend $100 to have them install the bushings? Anyone with some feedback about the difference in feel, please let me know so I can make a decision. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
The difference in feel is night and day, that's a no brainer. Is it worth paying someone $100 to install them? That's really up to you and what you feel your skill level is. It's a fairly easy DIY but if you have no interest in doing it yourself, it would be worth paying someone to do it for you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The difference in feel is night and day, that's a no brainer. Is it worth paying someone $100 to install them? That's really up to you and what you feel your skill level is. It's a fairly easy DIY but if you have no interest in doing it yourself, it would be worth paying someone to do it for you.
Thanks for the reply. I would say I'm somewhere between a 7-8 year old child in terms of auto repair/install. I have more money than I have time (2 kids and work a lot) but I don't want to waste $100 if it isn't very noticeable...so if it makes that big of a difference I may go for it when I take my car in for an oil change. If anyone else has feedback let me know!

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Bushings are more important than the lever itself.

Which bushing(s) did you get?

You can buy a set of ramps for $30, a socket set for $20, a case of beer for $15, and invite a buddy over to help with the install and give you some much-needed time away from said wife/kids. Use the remaining money saved to ship them off somewhere so you can have uninterrupted solitude.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bushings are more important than the lever itself.

Which bushing(s) did you get?

You can buy a set of ramps for $30, a socket set for $20, a case of beer for $15, and invite a buddy over to help with the install and give you some much-needed time away from said wife/kids. Use the remaining money saved to ship them off somewhere so you can have uninterrupted solitude.
I got the Perrin bushings that came with the short shift adapter. Good suggestion! I'm thinking though, that I'll pay the $88 (sent them the instructions and got a more accurate quote) and spend the leftover $12 on beer that I can drink after bringing the car home.

·
Registered
41 Posts
After asking my wife for this for 2 years I finally got it for Christmas. I installed the short shift adapter on Monday and wanted to put my thoughts on here in case anyone else was looking at this part. First off, it was cheap - I think around $60 through Perrin (on sale) and came with free bushings.

Install was easy, I am not mechanically inclined and figured everything out, I set the adapter at 49 cm (close to the shortest throw but not quite) and am very pleased with the results. It's like driving a different car, the shifts feel much tighter and the throws are about half the distance (to the point I thought it wasn't in gear). Overall there's not a noticable difference in shifter height and I paired it with a momo subaru knob. It really has improved the feel of my car. I would say it's almost a no-brainer for the cost and install time. If you have the extra cash, I've heard a full kit (like Kart Boy) is better, but I'm content with the Perrin adapter for now.

I did have a question about the bushings, as I said I have no experience working on cars, and don't have the tools (jack stands etc) to install the bushings myself - my Subaru dealership said they could do it for me for around $100. I've heard the bushings make a bigger difference than the short shifters, so my question is, would it be worth it to spend $100 to have them install the bushings? Anyone with some feedback about the difference in feel, please let me know so I can make a decision. Thanks!
I'm seriously considering this as well. I put a short shifter in my previous car and it made a huge difference. And I really like this Perrin adapter because it requires practically no work (unless you change the bushings too). I'm totally ok with the overall height of the shifter (which this device won't change), so that is fine with me. I had been previously looking at the Cobb Tuning adjustable short shifter and in their instructions, they note that there is a metal surround that you may have to modify to clear the shift rod since it will attach to the shifter at a higher location. See pics below. Did you have to do that with your Perrin adapter?
Shifter metal surround.JPG

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm seriously considering this as well. I put a short shifter in my previous car and it made a huge difference. And I really like this Perrin adapter because it requires practically no work (unless you change the bushings too). I'm totally ok with the overall height of the shifter (which this device won't change), so that is fine with me. I had been previously looking at the Cobb Tuning adjustable short shifter and in their instructions, they note that there is a metal surround that you may have to modify to clear the shift rod since it will attach to the shifter at a higher location. See pics below. Did you have to do that with your Perrin adapter?
View attachment 103021
Yes, but it was not a big deal, used a small set of pliers to bend the thin metal up to make everything fit.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My opinion differs slightly from the masses.

I wouldn't waste your time with the front and rear shifter bushings. I saw the biggest improvement from the Group-N Transmission mount and a short shifter.

I was amazed at how much the transmission moves around with the stock mount. That movement is what is masked by the shifter bushings but in my opinion can cause binding and un-needed stress. If you install the transmission mount, you won't need the shifter bushings and a short shifter will make the shifting even nicer.

To replace the shifter, you only need a screw driver, a 12mm ratcheting wrench, a pair of pliers or channel locks, and a c-clip tool.

I have the kart boy shifter, front and rear shifter bushings (cobb), and group-n transmission mount. the shifter and transmission mount make the most difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts