ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see on Perrins website dyno runs saying a gain of 54 ft lbs, and 38whp - these seem like big numbers, but I know Perrin is fairly reputable, what do you guys think? Stage 1 is to what I am referring - 09 WRX.

On the butt dyno would I notice a difference - especially with torque? And what about at highway speeds?

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes its the Cobb AccessPort, Perrins own map which seems to make almost triple the power if you believe manufacturers claims, which is what I am trying to get a feel for - how accurate?

And again thanks for the info on the butt dyno, what setup do you have, looking to see other with the 09/10 models. Especially in regards to low end torque which I miss coming from larger displacement engines - don't worry not going to say it, haha....

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i just installed the ap with a perrin map on my stock 09 wrx. You can really feel the difference. There is more power throughout the rev range. I am very happy, i spent 400 on a used one that already had the perrin map and it was the best money i spent. PM me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
863 Posts
First off, don't believe the hp and torque claims by ANY performance part manufacturer. The are in the business to sell you something so they will take the best results they found a say those are the gains. Think about it. Did they put the car on a dyno once and say that is the number or did they put it on there 20 times and publish the highest rating? I argue the latter. It is a method of measurement and any measurement has a margin of error and a measurement unit. Be sure you understand these two pieces of information.

As for the Perrin maps versus other OTS maps, there are differences. I've run both Cobb and Perrin stage 1 maps in my '09 and found the Cobb map to be more consistent and steady at delivering power whereas the Perrin gives a bit more power in the lower rpms but tapers off faster. Which one is better? I have no clue but I would say there is increased risk with a map that is giving more power. Some of the knowledgeable tuners here can address that issue as I know virutally nothing about tuning.

One thing for sure is you should not buy a map. If anything, get it free with a purchase and try it for yourself.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Best bet is going somewhere and getting a protune...do you all ready have the Cobb AP?
Would that actually be worth wild without any other mods? I agree with this when adding a DP or anything, but stock stage 1 type tune?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've been running Perrin Stage 2 for a while and can I feel the difference? Absolutely, however, if I had an AP by itself, I'm not sure I would pay Perrin $180 for their custom map vs the one that Cobb puts on the AP. Thats my opinion.

That being said, I ran the Cobb Stage 1 map for a while on my stock exhaust until the Perrin exhaust came in, and I had a overboost problem trying to push it in the upper gears. I haven't had the problem since putting on the Perrin exhaust.

I'm very happy with the Perrin Stage 2 power package.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently decided to throw money at my car and get a complete Perrin stage 2 package and Perrin CAI under the hood. The stage 2 package came with the AP + DP and they threw in the stage 2 map for free (in addition, they gave me the map that works specifically with their CAI). How does it feel? Well, I expected to feel a jolt of power right off the bat since for the '08s they claim max torque of 320-330 at around 3000 rpm. In reality, the power delivery is much smoother than I expected and I have to keep telling myslef this is a turbo charged car, not a V8, so torque will feel a bit different. All in all, especially for the '08s, this upgrade was well worth the $$; it feels much faster considering that this isn't a protune. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
For 150 PDX Tuning makes online maps, i have one with my setup but its a stage 3 setup. I hear the stage 2 cobb map they make is alot smoother with a wider torque curve than cobb OTS. My car is without a doubt alot faster than my stage 2 setup i had.

·
Banned
6,622 Posts
I've been running Perrin Stage 2 for a while and can I feel the difference? Absolutely, however, if I had an AP by itself, I'm not sure I would pay Perrin $180 for their custom map vs the one that Cobb puts on the AP. Thats my opinion.

That being said, I ran the Cobb Stage 1 map for a while on my stock exhaust until the Perrin exhaust came in, and I had a overboost problem trying to push it in the upper gears. I haven't had the problem since putting on the Perrin exhaust.

I'm very happy with the Perrin Stage 2 power package.
Perrin's map is not a custom tune. It's just a different generic OTS map as opposed to Cobb's. There is still a huge bit of difference between Perrin's maps and a REAL, custom tune.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts