Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished my custom grounding mod yesterday. I have 4 gauge wire coming from the negative terminal, which goes to a distribution block that has four 8 gauge wires going to four different points: Driver and passenger strut towers and driver and passenger manifold.

I have a Blitz DTT DC2, which has a boost gauge that reads in bar. When I first used the timer, the highest boost I got was 1.09 in 3rd gear. I don't have a MBC or EBC, so I know this was just a spike. Just to see if I could ever beat that boost I set my boost warning to 1.09. I've had the timer installed for two weeks and I could only tie the 1.09 one other time, also in 3rd gear.

This morning was my first time driving it. Once I got on the freeway I noticed a big difference. I was in 5th going about 75-80mph. I hit the gas just to see if response has changed. Didn't floor it, just opened it about half way for about 2-3 seconds. The warning on my timer went off. I hit the gas again and it did the same. I checked what my warning was set at and it was still at 1.09. I hit the gas again, watching my boost gauge, and I hit 1.13. I was shocked. Through the drive I kept stabbing the gas while watching the gauge and consistantly it hit at least 0.90 - 1.05. I know these are spikes and not my real boost. But am I actually getting better performance? Or is the grounding mod confusing my timer or ECU?

I also noticed two more things. I've only been driving a stick for 2-3 months now. I still have a little problem with 1st gear being jerky. After the grounding mod, 1st gear doesn't seem so jerky anymore. This could just be placebo. Only time will tell. Plus, when I would coast at 60mph, my car would make a whining noise. After grounding, this noise isn't as loud as before.

Has anybody else experienced anything after the grounding mod?

·
2,210 Posts
Thank you for that articulate analysis of the perceived advantages of single-point ground setups. :)

verbal: You should see no added performance. However, vehicles with poor grounding systems from the factory have traditionally shown some degree of improvement in the drivability or 'smoothness' of the power delivery with this grounding setup. It's unclear whether the WRX is such a vehicle, but many people are reporting positive effects after implementing the grounding mod. I personally found that it helped somewhat when I was running the Unichip, but that was some time ago and I left the grounding mod in place really because it makes my engine bay look pretty. I do find it interesting that the TurboXS UTec comes with a grounding strap attached. Hmmm...

-Pace

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Then why was I getting such high boost in 5th gear after installing the grounding mod? When before installing it, I was lucky to hit 0.60 in 5th. I don't have a boost controller.

·
Registered
401 Posts
i didnt notice any performance increase, but my engine idles a lot more smoothly..dsnt shake the car anymore thats for sure..
later

·
2,210 Posts
verbal said:
Then why was I getting such high boost in 5th gear after installing the grounding mod? When before installing it, I was lucky to hit 0.60 in 5th. I don't have a boost controller.
Is this a trick question? :p Seriously though, I have no idea. It sure as heck wasn't your grounding mod that gave you a 80% increase in peak boost.

Has there been a significant change in the weather in your area? This is just one of many possibilities that could account for the increase in boost, but let me assure you that the grounding mod is not the culprit.

-Pace

[Edit] Hmmm.... 3/16th 'mod'. ;)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Master Of Pain said:
It's bullcrap. The placebo effect is usualy enhanced by the ECU reset effect from removing the battery cables.
I don't think it's bull, I did the mod last week, without resetting the ECU, the cable was only disconnected for about 20 seconds and I didn't even loose my radio stations. No placebo.
At first my car seemed smoother but not as smooth as I thought it would be. Probably due to uppipe/downpipe cats. Since then I've ran through about 2 tanks of gas. For the last few days I noticed my car pulling harder then normal. I was trying to figure out why, and just realized it must be the ground mod :D Maybe it was learning the mod over the last week or so? Today, the car actually suprised me it was pulling so hard :eek: even in third gear, with the A/C on! I have not done any mods to my car at all since I installed a short ram 2 months ago.
I dunno, maybe I'm crazy but my car definitely feels stronger and smoother. I might just be lucky;) I'm sure everyone will not get the same results I did, my car's powerband was pretty lumpy before I did this.

Here's a pic of what I did...

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=344794#post344794

·
Registered
431 Posts
I did a home made ground kit the exact way mention above by verbal. I didn't notice really anything other than the car runs a little smoother at idle, but it really didn't run that rough to begin with. It does make the engine compartment look a little cooler:) . If you're bored and can get the stuff to do it practically for free like I did (best friend is a manager at an audio store), go ahead and do it. For me, it was a reason to work on the car and drink some beers one night;) (this is something I did frequently when I had my truck, it was completely custom, rebuilt it from the ground up). Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about doing this mod until some hard data comes out on it.

P.S. I have heard it helps with hesitation you sometime get after installing the UTEC or Unichip. I don't know though, I don't have either. Later

--Jay--

·
Registered
446 Posts
04silver bullet said:
Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about doing this mod until some hard data comes out on it.

P.S. I have heard it helps with hesitation you sometime get after installing the UTEC or Unichip. I don't know though, I don't have either. Later

--Jay--
Actually there is hard data that this mod works, Turbo mag did a test a while back and said they gained 3hp/3lbs of torque. Not much, but when a $700 catback exhaust only gives like 10hp, not too bad for the $$$. Anyways it can't hurt ;)

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27994&highlight=ground+mod

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
i don't believe it for a second. and i NEVER believe magazine data, especially not turbo magazine.

it's just a signal correction mod. it's got nothing to do with power addition. this mod was created to correct the hesitation of the unichip going from 40 to 60% throttle position. not increase HP.

dR

·
Registered
431 Posts
Was that data that you saw for the WRX? I only ask because this mod only depends on the car and where you mount the grounding points. I saw something in Import tuner where they did grounding kits on a few different cars (none of them a WRX:( )
I can't remember all of the models of cars, but I know they were placing the grounds in different place and running them on a dyno. Most of them seen little hp/torque gain (1-3 max) if they seen any. Some of them actually a little power lost power. The most significant and scariest was an older Talon which at first lost power. They switched grounding points and re-ran it. The engine actually caught on fire:eek:. Basically, it boils down to the type of car and where you mount the points (I checked mine with a multi-meter to make sure the points I was planning to use had the no resistance) I personally haven't seen any data on the WRX, I would actually like to find some when it comes to this. But I completely understand where you are coming from. When it comes to tuning, sometimes you can spend the $$$ on some upgrades and get almost nothing HP or torque-wise out of it.

P.S. if someone can find data relating to this mod for the WRX. please post it. Thanks

--Jay--

·
Registered
446 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I can't give you any hard data because I didn't have my car dyno'd before and after this mod. However, I do have an experience that seems to point to increased conduction.

When I did my grounding mod, I got a monster connector that goes directly on to the negative post. It has 2 4 guage connections and a connection on the top for the car's negative cable. I ran one 4 guage wire to my manifold and one to the drivers side strut tower. Then I ran another piece of 4 guage wire from the passenger side of the manifold to the passenger strut tower, using the manifold itself as a conductor. I also, took off all the factory grounds and scraped the paint off from under them. That's my set up. I like it because there are less wires runing all over the engine bay and I like the elegance of using the manifold as a conductor.

So here's my experience. When I did my mil eliminator mod, I disconnected the negative connection from the top of the monster postconnection, but left it connected to the post with the 2 grounding wires running to the manifold and strut tower. I thought that this would cause the car to lose power. However, when I went to drain the juice by pushing the brake, I noticed that my clock was still working. With the neg connection off and with just the two grounds, I tried turning the key. To my amazement, the car started right up! Just those two grounds were keeping the car powered! I disconnected the neg post connection and then the power was cut.

My point - if the car can start with just those 2 4 guage grounds connected, then there has to be some benefit.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Bilkid said:
I can't give you any hard data because I didn't have my car dyno'd before and after this mod. However, I do have an experience that seems to point to increased conduction.

My point - if the car can start with just those 2 4 guage grounds connected, then there has to be some benefit.
Which leads me back to my point. There really isn't any evidence of a hp gain. It all comes down to where you have the points mounted vs. resistance between that point and the terminal on the battery. As Dark Rex mentioned, the true benefit to this mod is help eliminate some of the hesitation you get from having a uinchip installed. I believe it also help the car run a little smoother at idle also. Unless you have the car on a 4 wheel dyno and test every point you decide you want to hook up for this mod, it is hard to expect anything more that. ;)

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've read in other threads that this mod helps your sensors and electronics work better like they were designed too. Not necessarily increasing HP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
WRX is notorious for terrible idles. One of the first mods i did was the grounding wires. The car idled much smoother but your jerky first gear has alot to do with your stock settings being tampered with. This car is very touchy when you mess with it! I'm sure there is more than one of us who expeienced the dreaded check engine light from hell. It goes away after you re-program your ECU.

·
Registered
9 Posts
04silver bullet said:
Was that data that you saw for the WRX? I only ask because this mod only depends on the car and where you mount the grounding points. I saw something in Import tuner where they did grounding kits on a few different cars (none of them a WRX:( )
I can't remember all of the models of cars, but I know they were placing the grounds in different place and running them on a dyno. Most of them seen little hp/torque gain (1-3 max) if they seen any. Some of them actually a little power lost power. The most significant and scariest was an older Talon which at first lost power. They switched grounding points and re-ran it. The engine actually caught on fire:eek:. Basically, it boils down to the type of car and where you mount the points (I checked mine with a multi-meter to make sure the points I was planning to use had the no resistance) I personally haven't seen any data on the WRX, I would actually like to find some when it comes to this. But I completely understand where you are coming from. When it comes to tuning, sometimes you can spend the $$$ on some upgrades and get almost nothing HP or torque-wise out of it.

P.S. if someone can find data relating to this mod for the WRX. please post it. Thanks

--Jay--

You actually get a 5-7 hp gain with the wires (Import Tuner-on a WRX)

·
Registered
431 Posts
boostfreak said:
How many grounding points did they have and where were they mounted? Maybe if you have the right amount of connections and have them going to tested points on the body or engine, you will get a gain. Until THIS info is released to the general public, don't expect any gain from this mod till you dyno test it yourself. You just can't hook up any point on the car and automatically expect a gain. They have to be tested with a multi meter for resistance. Even then, it is not a definite power gain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't remember the exact amount of grounding points, but they seem t run everywhere! There on the chassis, the terminal, the manifold...you name it, it most likely has a wire attached!

·
Registered
175 Posts
boostfreak said:
I saw that too. Only problem is, they had to try several different scenarios before they got that much of a gain. And they neglected to say what grounding points they ended up using. :confused: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts