Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of purchasing a wrx, should I add the performance exhaust and short throw shifter,
Any gains from exhaust
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
15,471 Posts
No.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just put an Invidia R400 on my 18' wrx. Sounds great with no annoying drone. I highly recommend checking it out. There are plenty of YouTube clips and reviews.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I added both of these to my build and enjoy them. The exhaust sounds far better than the OEM and it just sounds classy with a rumble, for lack of a better word. Not personally a fan of the pop most exhausts have when you go WOT. Also upside, you get to finance it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I picked up a lightly used SPT exhaust for '15up STI (with resonator) for my WRX. I had it on my car for over a year. It had an ever-so-slighty deeper tone than the stock system. Then I decided to replace the resonator with a straight pipe to make the system like the SPT for WRX. While doing this resonator removal I found that there was an incredible choke tube inside the very exit of the resonator (down to about 1-5/8" ID :eek:). I removed the hour-glass shaped choke tube, installed the straight piece of stainless pipe and TIG welded it all back together. Now the car sounds great, much deeper tone...almost reminiscent of the 2.5 rumble.

SPT Resonator 1a.jpg
SPT Resonator 2.jpg

I've heard numerous times on this forum that the SPT system drones, however I see no evidence of that. The sound very pleasant with normal driving and gets a bit deeper and louder with more throttle, but no drone (even without resonator on WRX). I've had cheap aftermarket exhaust systems on a some older cars that did drone. It was usually a resonance at highway speeds in top gear with little throttle. That does get old quick, but again, I don't experience any of that with the SPT system and it makes driving the car fun again!

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
A catback exhaust adds no power whatsoever. It is just a noise producer. I would opt out of the SPT catback. For the price you can buy a quality aftermarket catback of your choice.

·
Super Moderator
10,887 Posts
Also upside, you get to finance it.
Paying a bunch of interest at the same time.

This is exactly the reason not to do it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
289 Posts
A catback exhaust adds no power whatsoever. It is just a noise producer. I would opt out of the SPT catback. For the price you can buy a quality aftermarket catback of your choice.
Yeah this is not true.
Fact: an exhaust is only as big as it's biggest pipe.

However, with reduction of restrictions, power is attained.

Perhaps not monumental gains, but there are gains

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
15,471 Posts
Yeah this is not true.
Fact: an exhaust is only as big as it's biggest pipe.

However, with reduction of restrictions, power is attained.

Perhaps not monumental gains, but there are gains

No, Steve. Gains are not "had," even by your own logic.

Fact: the restrictions are further up the system. Catalyst and downpipe.

·
Banned
289 Posts
No, Steve. Gains are not "had," even by your own logic.

Fact: the restrictions are further up the system. Catalyst and downpipe.

Agree to disagree then.

But there are tons of data on various engines/models that catback exhaust systems increase flow and provide minor power gains.

·
Super Moderator
10,887 Posts
Agree to disagree then.

But there are tons of data on various engines/models that catback exhaust systems increase flow and provide minor power gains.

Actually, almost every shred of tangible evidence points directly away from that on our cars. The only ones claiming anything are the manufacturers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've heard numerous times on this forum that the SPT system drones, however I see no evidence of that. The sound very pleasant with normal driving and gets a bit deeper and louder with more throttle, but no drone (even without resonator on WRX). I've had cheap aftermarket exhaust systems on a some older cars that did drone. It was usually a resonance at highway speeds in top gear with little throttle. That does get old quick, but again, I don't experience any of that with the SPT system and it makes driving the car fun again!
I just took the SPT off my car and installed a Corsa. There is definitely "droning" on the highway with the SPT. It didn't bother me, but I know it bothers some. The Corsa is much quieter on the highway. Kind of off topic from whah OP was asking but wanted to throw in my two cents on your "droning" comment

1 - 13 of 13 Posts