Subaru WRX Forum banner

Performance and Longevity possible??

2K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  Yogiwerx 
#1 ·
I am buying a new 04 WRX within the next week and have two very big dilemmas:
1. Sedan or Wagon- I ski alot and want something to hold my gear, but I like the styling of the Sedan more. But the functionality of the wagon REALLY appeals to me. I also hear that the Wagon is 100lbs heavier, and thus I wonder if the 0-60 performance is any worse. Is it? Is the Sedan faster than the Wagon
2. This is more of an important dilemma. I plan on upgrading my car, but I dont want to decrease engine life AT ALL. What mods are safe for the 04 WRX and wont decrease engine life. I plan on getting a Cobb AccessPort because I want to get better gas mileage and performance. What else is reccommended. I want to keep the "SLEEPER" look on my car, i dont want any obnoxious exhausts.

Thanks in Advance,
Bob

#2 ·
w/ the accessport and a turboback exhaust, ur car will last as long as stock, and its plenty fast. the wagons weight penalty wont' hurt performance really, its actually a closer to 50:50 weight distribution.

#3 ·
As long as you keep the modifications minimal, you wont have to worry about your car's reliability being sarcrificed. However, if you decide to make major modifications, like more powerful turbo, then you begin to really tax your stock components.

I suggest a cat-less uppipe, catless/high flow cat downpipe and engine reflash (like cobb)

#5 ·
I have the wagon, and as per Subaru's specifications, it is only 80 pounds heavier than a sedan WITHOUT sunroof. If you're comparing it to a sedan with sunroof, there's almost no difference.

I don't think 80 lbs is enough to present a noticible performance decrease, but that's just me.

Did you know also that the wagon is $500 cheaper?

Might as well get the wagon if you ski. Sure, the sedan has thelittle pass-through to the trunk through the back seat, but the seats do not fold down. With the wagon, the do - plus the roof rails are already there, just waiting for your ski rack.
:)

There's a thread over on NASIOC talking about how people have tens of thousands of miles on highly modded WRXs with no issues. Don't mess with aftermarket intakes or MBCs... as it seems like those guys who run those mods do experience problems.

Basically, I think that the wagon, + accessport, a turbo-back, and an up-pipe is what you're looking for. The car will be fast, and there's nothing better than a fast wagon.

If you are looking for a quiet exhaust, the Borla Hush is considered to be pretty quiet, with a nice low rumble. Looks almost stock too. This guy has great service and several other exhaust options: www.daddysscp.com

Here's a pic of my wagon. I hope it helps your decision:

#6 ·
At first I wanted a Sedan.. for the performance 'advantage' and at the time I liked the fender flares. But I've grown tired of the flares, and now prefer the looks of the wagon.. perhaps that's just me convincing myself since a wagon is what I ended up with. I just needed that space back there too much to consider the sedan.

As for the performance advantage... the wagon felt a little mushier in the turns. I upgraded to a 20mm sedan rear swaybar and it was good. Aftger doing that, it was very hard to tell any difference in power or handling. Maybe if you were on a clock, but seat of the pants feel? You can't tell.

Wagons Rock! :)

And I've done the TBE, UP and Cobb AP Stage 2 and it's fast enough to get you in trouble. :)

#8 ·
a "mod" that's overlooked is increasing the oil capacity. When you make the engine pump more power, you increase the heat...the oil can absorb so much heat before breaking down...

An easy solution is to increase the oil capacity.

How???

Something like an Amsoil bypass filter kit. It will increase the oil capacity by roughly a quart, and filter the crap out of the oil much better, so your engine, turbo, AND oil lasts longer.

How's it work? It takes a portion of the oil and the filter has denser medium that allows the oil to take its time to get filtered out, down to about 1 micron. About every 45 minutes of the engine running, the entire crankcase oil has been through the bypass filter.

The regular oil filter is made for flow and some filtering (compared to a bypass filter).

The problem with Amsoil...their smallest bypass filter is huge. So you need to find a good location with enough room.

An Oil Guard bypass filter is smaller, and you replace the element only.

Some food for thought

#9 ·
Get a Wagon! I just bought WRX Wagon on 7/2.
I love snowboarding, camping, and jetsking.
Before I bought it, I owned 2000 celica Gt-s, 1990 Talon Awd Turbo, and 1992 Pathfinder 4x4 at the same time. I figured just having one costs much less for me.
Celica was traded in, Talon is sold, Pathfinder is for sale now.

I was loking for just one car that meets my requirements that are
1. Fast, turbo chagred and have a great potential to be very fast
2. AWD
3. Have some room for hobbies
4. Little and gets good mpg
5. Reliable
6. Affordable

I found only one kind available in the US that I wanted.

THAT WAS WRX WAGON!!!!!

I'm very happy with my wrx wagon.

#10 ·
Wagon Wagon Wagon!!!!!!!

I love my wagon. When I got it with the 16's it was ok. When I did the splrings & the 18's it now just looks flat out awesome.

Everywhere I go I get tons of compliments such as
"that is one bad ass wagon"!!!

As far as the mods you have to do the UP/Down pipes, & some sort of eng. mgnt. When Subaru made the WRX they left all kinds of reliable power on the table & you really need to get it in the car.
Last month I really wanted the COBB AP & I think they are great however since I live in AZ. where it hits 115 degrees I need the flash for the power but it is very wise that I get it dyno tuned for my nasty climate. So I have decided to get at ECUTeK flash & dyno tune for 50 safe little tuned ponys. This is a little more expensive however I think it's a safer way to go for the AZ weather.

But anyways get a wagon & pimp it out I think you will love it.

J.D.

#11 ·
Wagon wagon wagon!!

The storage space back there is humongous. You could easily fit a couple dead bodies back there if you had the back seats folded down (another plus against the sedan, no fold down seats).

#13 ·
I was considering the same thing and i went with the wagon as i am a big time skier. Also this is my practical car so i wanted it to be as practical as possible. I LOVE IT. Get the wagon.
I too want the longevity and performance. Basically you asked the same question i would have asked a week ago. I am going to get the AP for sure. I am debating between wheels and tires ore a TBE.

WAGON WAGON WAGON.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.