ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many perfect shifts would you say you have on average? Ive been driving my 09' wrx now for a couple years, some days I'll be on point but some days I'm off a bit.

This was my first manual car, and i have improved a lot over time, but I would say 50% of my shifts are perfect, the others arent bad. I seem to have the most trouble going from 1st to second. I was wondering what your experiences were, am i the only one, or are these cars more difficult than others to achieve perfect shifts?

Thanks guys, Im new here

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
What do you consider a perfect shift?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Perfect shifting as is the seemless right?
Don't feel too bad. The thing about our 5speeds is that 1st is wayyyy to short and 2nd is wayyyy to tall, it's been covered a bit.

Slow it down, I let the clutch slip just a bit more when going to 2nd when I have passengers. clutch hates it, but i get praises because of it.

Sent from my DROID2 Global using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, that makes sense. 2-3-4-5 are a lot easier to get a smooth shift. Yes by perfect I ment seemless, when you cant feel it at all, no jerking motion.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
If you feel like focusing all the time and know the basics of rev-matching, it's not too hard.

That said, especially when I'm driving on my own, I don't. So my shifts are not "perfect" very often haha. I do always rev-match on down shifts though.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
If you feel like focusing all the time and know the basics of rev-matching, it's not too hard.

That said, especially when I'm driving on my own, I don't. So my shifts are not "perfect" very often haha. I do always rev-match on down shifts though.
Can some explain rev match. I bought my wrx 2 months ago and this car was my first stick. And loving every minute of it.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
98% of my shifts are perfect, but then again I've been driving manuals for over 20 years across many different vehicles and millions of miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rev matching is exactly what it sounds like..you blip the throttle when shifting down a gear so you match the RPM going into the gear that it will be at when you let the clutch out. So it won't be to harmful for the Clutch and tranny. Plus it'll be a less jerky ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I never shift perfectly. What's a clutch again?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
The dead pedal that moves.
Ohhh that third pedal? I thought it was the parking brake pedal. I usually just push the shifter as hard as I can until it just goes into a gear.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Ohhh that third pedal? I thought it was the parking brake pedal. I usually just push the shifter as hard as I can until it just goes into a gear.
You can really hear the turbo spool up when you do that.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Im the same. I've gotten good at rev matching downshifts. Is there anything more satisfying than hitting a perfectly rev matchex downshift right before entering a corner? :drive2:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts