ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so tired of this.

Two examples have been in my mind recently of people using "action" words to spice up an activity or event that has no "action" taking place in it.

1. Accounting

In my accounting class, a phrase my teacher used to describe left over monetary supplies that were emptied into Retained Earnings was "So the $15,000 also hits Retained Earnings on the Balance Sheet."

Excuse me? hits ?? What is this? A contact sport? Did financial accounting just turn into a full contact activity with one word forcefully contacting another? NO! You wrote down $15,000 on the line that says Retained Earnings. No action verb necessary. Holy sh*t that's annoying.

2. Restaurant Business.

In the restaurant I work at, the Bus Boy is responsible for pouring water, clearing dishes, and serving bread, along with a number of other ones. At the end of the night, the Bus Boy must put all the unused bread into the bread bucket thing and wrap it all up and put it back in the walk-in fridge. Then he must scrub the area to get it clean and shiny for the next day. Not a big deal. However, at the restaurant I work at, the activity is known as "Tearing down the Bread Station." What the f*ck is that?

Are we ripping down plasterboard? Are we at a construction site? Ripping down the bread station? Jesus, I'm embarassed to even say it.

Why do we feel compelled to add action verbs to activities that don't suggest any action of fast movement?

I hate my life.

:mad: :eek:

·
Banned
5,806 Posts
Trailboss said:
I hate my life.

:mad: :eek:
It's gonna be ok buddy, we can help you through this :)
Ok, start with the "Tearing down the Bread Station". Tearing isn't really a fast movement, and neither is...umm...'disassembling' a bread station, right? ...I didn't want to say breaking down the Bread Station :p
But 'disassembling' a bread station IS an action, unless you have one of those cool robotic bread stations.

Sh*t I forgot where I was going with this. Good luck

:tongue:

edit: are we allowed to fake swear in moderator threads? I'm not from these parts of town....

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Well, maybe you should deprioritize your current action items so you can accomodate your new service task objectives and augment your task plan for a more aggressive service response training schedule.

Josh, if it bothers you that you're told to tear down the bread station, I recommend you take the leadership initiative to be the best bread station worker you can possibly be so that when the time comes for you to make important nominclature decisions you're able to correct those wrongs which have caused you so much displeasure.

Good luck, the strong are the ones who do and the weak are those who do not, be strong and always let your conscience be your guide my son.

Have a blessed day,

~Tim

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
This thread is quickly and visciously exploding into a violent fury of fast-paced, exasperated wheezing and chest pain. And you didn't think a thread could do that. Well, think again, adjective wankers.

:eek3:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ahh Trailboss, the resturant business....

"Getting Slammed" - We aren't being thrown to the ground by the fat chick that has to wait 5 minutes for her dessert. No we're, just getting busy.

"running food/drinks" - I sure as hell wouldn't eat/drink anything what had been sprinted over to me by a sweaty waiter that had just been slammed. It means to deliver food/drinks to a table.

"2 bite check" - So after spriting the food over, and fending off that fat chick with one arm the server waits intensely for that second bit to happen, and screams 'how's the fooood!?'. For God sakes no, it means to just check in a few minutes to make sure the customer's don't find hair/gum/uppipe bolt in their food... simple!

"86'ed" this one I never got. It's supose to mean 'we sold out, are out of the item' If I didn't know better, and some sweaty waiter told me that I couldn't have a burger because it was "86'ed", I say, but you have 86 of them :confused1

I'll stop here

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oneliner said:

"86'ed" this one I never got. It's supose to mean 'we sold out, are out of the item' If I didn't know better, and some sweaty waiter told me that I couldn't have a burger because it was "86'ed", I say, but you have 86 of them :confused1
GAHH!!!

They say that ALL THE TIME about this one item, and I had no f*cking clue what they were talking about.

"We're 86 on the Cafe de Bodino"

*me thinking to myself* "Why would they tell someone they have 86 left of them?"

God.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I use THIS to make up trendy business phrases so my bosses think I'm motivated... When in reality I'm sitting at my desk watching Sealab 2021 and ATHF episodes on Winamp's Internet TV.

Don't forget to aggregate e-business infrastructures! :wiggles:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts