Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to PA law - Front Side windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in. What has been your experience with the police in Pennsylvania. I'm thinking of tinting 5-10% more than the limit. Has anyone had any issues in this tint range? I'm thinking the Philly/city police don't care, but smaller towns might.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Depends on the cop. And whether or not you have a pba card sometimes. I'd just stick with whats legal it wouldnt really be a big difference.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have/had

30% on GTO, Impala SS, 2 forresters and 17 WRX
20% on 18 STI
15% on my HC

Knock on wood, no issues, but i dont drive like a dik or attract attention to myself

·
Æternum
16,103 Posts
PLEASE don't tint over the legal limit. As a motorcyclist, I am constantly reading the behaviors of drivers around me. This helps me keep out of blind spots and visible to other drivers. I can often anticipate someone's move before they make it if I can see the person.

The heavily tinted vehicles are highest risk factor to me -- it's unpredictable for other drivers and bikers. Please be conscious of this.

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Why even tint heavy on a car? I just moved to Florida and rarely see crazy tinted rides. Go with the legal number unless you have a medical condition that is backed up by something.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm with the others. When I was younger I thought the heavy tint was cool, but night vision sucked, especially having to back up with the door open to avoid curbs and low objects. Plus, I got stopped by cops just because. They thought it looked dark and wanted to meter the window. Of course I didn't go over legal on the moving windows so they didn't get anything but yeah, I stopped doing that.

My current car - '16 - is Maryland legal max, I think the tech said 35%. But he told me to keep in mind, some OEM / factory car windows come with light tint from the factory and if you use max legal tint (for your state) on top of the car's light window factory tint, it may go over when metered by the cops. So again, it comes down to how much of a **** the cops wants to be when you get pulled over anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My experience with all my cars:

2013 Dodge Dart - 18% in the front, 5% everywhere else

2014 Evo X - No tint because all my money was going into mods

2016 Jetta - 5% All around

2019 Sti - (being built) Gonna do 2.5% all around

Cops don't really look for beef for people where I live until you drive to the city. I've only ever been cited once for tint when I got pulled over for speeding in the Jetta. The officer was incompetent and filed my tint as being bought with the car when I told him I got it done after I got my car inspected (I already had that car with tint for a year and a half, I was just keeping my word to the place that inspected my car,) so it got thrown out because he couldn't do his job properly. I have been pulled over once specifically for tint in the city, but I wasn't fined because the cop knew my sister. I told him it was 5% all around, but he still check it anyways lol.

I've driven to Philly, Jersey, and New York multiple times without any issues

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have had "illegal tint" in NJ for nearly 8 years now, and only got pulled over and ticketed once (and that was in a small town that was looking for ways to raise their revenue). Most cops have better things to worry about than tint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts