ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to go to a Cosworth 2.8L within the next year and wondering what parts I will need to do this right. All ideas are welcome and

Right now I have a 2002 WRX at stage 4

Thinking I will need:

stronger gears (helix PPGs or what?)
FMIC (AVO or ?)
Large turbo (GT40?)
rotated pipes
external wastegate
high flow fuel rails
1000cc injectors
oil cooler
high pressure boost controller (one I have works well but only goes to 20psi)
lightweight flywheel
stage two clutch
Stand alone ECU (hydra or AEM or ?)
protune

Not sure:

Stronger LSDs
Stronger half axles

what am I missing and what parts do you suggests?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Right now you have a stage IV running 14.012 @ 100.42mph? Is that because your a mile above sea level? (a little less)

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Step 1 find a tuner.
Step 2 do lots of research.
Step 3 ask tuner which parts he likes.

Most of your list will be Tuner dependant, (i.e. what he likes to use etc.). There is nothing worse than buying a bunch of high priced parts and not being able to make them work right together. So.....find a tuner and see what they like to use. That will narrow 99% of your list down.

Also why cosworth 2.8l? What power level you trying to reach? whats the car for?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Step 1 find a tuner.

Most of your list will be Tuner dependant, (i.e. what he likes to use etc.). There is nothing worse than buying a bunch of high priced parts and not being able to make them work right together. So.....find a tuner and see what they like to use. That will narrow 99% of your list down.

Also why cosworth 2.8l? What power level you trying to reach? whats the car for?
^^^Best advice thus far...

You seem to be on the right path, but work with your tuner and plan thoroughly.

Also, if you let us know your plans and projected power gains/goals, people here can help you out a little better. I'm interested in what you want to achieve :thumbup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now you have a stage IV running 14.012 @ 100.42mph? Is that because your a mile above sea level? (a little less)
Yes I'm at 5,200 ft, I should be a little faster on a good day (it was raining)

Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
Step 1 find a tuner.

The car is going to for road racing but needs to be streetable. I am looking for around 500-600 whp with little lag and needs to be unbreakable as possible. Thanks for the advice about talking to my tuner, thats going to be my next step. I would like as much outside advice as possible as the tuner I have been using got hired by a software company and I haven't had much exp with my new one. Keep the thoughts coming.
thanks

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
I am looking for around 500-600 whp
You are lookin at a lot of money for that power level. A lot of money. Built stroked race block, huge turbo (with lots of lag), If I had to ball park it I'd say you are lookin at $20k-$30k to do it right, maybe more.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
I was thinking more around 15-20K over the next year or two.:eek:
Keep the parts coming
Your engine alone will be over $10k to get to that power level.

So youll have:

Built stroked race engine $10000
turbo $1500-$2000
rotate mount exhaust $1500
FMIC $1500
injectors $700-1000
Hydra or AEM $2000
PPG's in tranny $6000-$10000 for full dog box
axles $1000
custom rear end? $1000
Dyno Tuning $600-1000
water/meth inj $600
EWG $300-$500
Fuel rails $600
TGV deletes $600
clutch and flywheel $600-$800
custom driveshaft Aluminum or carbon $1000-$1500
All other BS $2000

I'd say realistically you're lookin about $37,600 and thats if you install several parts.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Good luck with the build. It sucks that built blocks are so pricey, but they should be pretty "unbreakable"

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
The car is going to for road racing but needs to be streetable. I am looking for around 500-600 whp.....
I would not 'road race' a 500-600whp car.....it will be useless for roadracing, you want a very broad powerband not a peaky one w/ high whp numbers.

My max recommendation would be 400-450whp. As for the 'unbreakable' part, run a 100% stock 2.5 STI shortblock, NOTHING is as durable as the factory blocks, properly tuned w/ the proper turbo setup you'll have no problem hitting 400-450whp especially on race gas.

Port every single part of the car that is port-able, port the wrx heads especially, add 272/272 cams & some Supertech valves & springs. Lightened the car drastically. You will have a nasty road racing car powerwise, then its all on the suspension & shoes.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,208 Posts
This is what I don't understand: if you are going to use the car for road racing, why is there a choice of what parts to use? Doesn't the rule book specify what can and cannot be done? What organization are you racing under?

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
This is what I don't understand: if you are going to use the car for road racing, why is there a choice of what parts to use? Doesn't the rule book specify what can and cannot be done? What organization are you racing under?
I dont think it had got that far. Most people like this IME, say hey Im gonna build a really fast car and then take it to a track and race it. Completely devoid of thoughts of sanctioned racing rules and stipulations.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont think it had got that far. Most people like this IME, say hey Im gonna build a really fast car and then take it to a track and race it. Completely devoid of thoughts of sanctioned racing rules and stipulations.
ya...well you got me there:rotfl:
really should look into that as well, thanks for bring me back to reality.
So you think that 500-600 is too much?
Would a built 2.5 do the trick then? without too much lag and getting a
wide power band?
I was thinking that reusing the WRX heads would be a bad idea:confused:
I need to redo my clutch over Christmas and was going to do the tranny, flywheel, and clutch at the same time. Ideas for parts? Keeping in mind my goals and the need to keep everything streetable as this is my DD for now.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,208 Posts
The parts don't matter. The power does not matter. The motor does not matter. None of that actually matters.

Realistically, if you are going to race the car, well... don't build it. Never, ever (e v e r) build a race car. Buy one ready built with a full book and tech stamps from last year's season from someone that's moved on. Buy the car, the paperwork, and all the spares. Someone simply walking in with a newly-built car is unlikely to pass tech inspection initially, and if they do, well, you may want to reconsider racing there to begin with. Talk to stewards and tech personnel from whatever sanctioning body you are interested in, and get to know them. Download the rule book and memorize it. Ask everyone if they know of the car you are buying, and buy a car that not only runs, but also passed tech on every occasion last season.

If you are not going to race the car, and just want a fast car that you can put license plates on and drive around town (when it's not being paraded about by a flatbed tow truck) that's a different story. I'd recommend a stock 2.5L block, a 6spd gearbox, the smallest turbo you can get away with, and EM of your choice plus a healthy chequebook.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
The parts don't matter. The power does not matter. The motor does not matter. None of that actually matters.

Realistically, if you are going to race the car, well... don't build it. Never, ever (e v e r) build a race car. Buy one ready built with a full book and tech stamps from last year's season from someone that's moved on. Buy the car, the paperwork, and all the spares. Someone simply walking in with a newly-built car is unlikely to pass tech inspection initially, and if they do, well, you may want to reconsider racing there to begin with. Talk to stewards and tech personnel from whatever sanctioning body you are interested in, and get to know them. Download the rule book and memorize it. Ask everyone if they know of the car you are buying, and buy a car that not only runs, but also passed tech on every occasion last season.

If you are not going to race the car, and just want a fast car that you can put license plates on and drive around town (when it's not being paraded about by a flatbed tow truck) that's a different story. I'd recommend a stock 2.5L block, a 6spd gearbox, the smallest turbo you can get away with, and EM of your choice plus a healthy chequebook.
A lot of wisdom here.

There is an old saying...."To make a small fortune in racing.....start with a big one."

Definitely buy a racer if you can. It will save you tons of $$$.

Now if you just want a fast fun street car, then I'd go:

Sti 2.5l
PPG's in the 5mt $6000
Flywheel and clutch $1000

Two turbos based on power levels id want.

td06-18g 7cm $1000 350whp

or FP GREEN $1800 420whp

Spearco TMIC or FMIC $1200

Equal length headers $700

protune $300-500

Water/meth inj $600

1 - 15 of 15 Posts