Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know MBC's have this problem, and that it can cause high EGT's. I was wondering if anyone knows if the SBC-ID or a Unichip (Turbo XS chip) cause this problem too?

· Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I thought the Turbo XS unichip did not need a separate boost controller, unless you wanted to adjust boost because you were at a different altitude. Does the Unichip increase any boost by itself, and if so to how much? Their page also says this about the chip

Built in part throttle boost controller (<=30%) limited to 7psi -
Protection from high boost when factory ecu runs in closed loop @ 14.7:1 air fuel ratios. Factory boost level is 7psi and when using aftermarket electronic and manual boost controllers, full boost can be reached at partial throttle, resulting in high exhaust gas temperatures and lean run conditions.

I guess I don't understand exactly how the unichip, or for that matter the stock ECU differs from the EBC in the sense of how it controls boost at different throttle positions. Does the ECU control the boost at different throttle positions the same way as the Unichip would? And with a EBC it has 4 boost levels, so you could do 25% boost at 25% throttle, 50% at 50% and so on.

· Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So would the best thing to do would be to get a SBC-ID and set different boost levels at different TPS/RPMs whichever one it does it at. So you get a nice curve, but when you WOT, you get full boost. Then it would be pretty close to stock in how it will only give partial boost at partial throttle.

I just don't want to see my boost guage shoot up when I am accellerating normally. My commute to work has lots of stop and go tracffic and I don't want it accidently go full boost on me.

· Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool, I think I will probably go with the SBC-ID to try and avoid those partial boost problems, after all the car is first a daily driver (work pays for the car), then a street racer/rally car (car gives me something to look forward to at work). Its a win win situation until one is not there anymore, gotta find the right balance.

· Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so anyone who has a SBC-ID, have you had any problems with full boost at partial throttle, thats really all I am worried about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.