Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like a really dumb question, but...

Does anyone know what the "parking lights" are for?! I never even knew I had them, but I took my car to the car wash today, and I guess after rubbing down the inside of the car, the guy hit the parking lights. I drove home & went inside, and when my wife came home, she told me my lights were on. "That's impossible," said I, "because my lights turn themselves off!"

Well, I was wrong. Evidently the parking lights which, if you don't know, are activated by flipping a switch on top of the steering column, don't turn off when the key is removed.

Anyway, what's the point of these lights? I'm certain there's a perfectly good function for them, but I really can't think of why I would want a separate switch for a set of dim lights that don't turn off with the rest of the lights.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, my understanding of this is the following. Subaru though it was a good idea to have the lights go off automatically when you shut the car off. However there is a US law that mandates that you can keep certain lights on (parking lights) while the car is off. The solution therefore was to place a seperate switch for this. I believe that's the deal. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm...

Now I'm trying to think of a good reason for there to be such a law. The only reason I can think of that those parking lights would be useful is if, somehow, you've broken down, you're sitting inside your car, AND you've lost your keys! But how would you be inside without your keys?? Hmm...

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good question...

I got this straight from an i-club FAQ.... pretty much what I said before...

Q: What is that funky switch in the middle of the steering column? Why is it there?

A: That switch is known as the "parking light switch". One of the greatest Subaru features requires that switch. When you turn the car off, the lights go off too. In order to be legal in some countries - you must be able to put the parking lights on (while parked - imagine that). The switch is there so you don't have to leave the car running.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
thanks...i have been wondering what the deal was with that switch...

·
Registered
249 Posts
I asked my dealer about them when I picked up the car and he acted kinda confused and said "yeah, they're for off-roading I think"

Kinda funny

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Speaking of automatic light-turnoff and such, what is the best way to disconnect the light deactivation on the handbrake? As some of you know, the lights go off when you pull the handbrake as well. However, I like the use the handbrake when stopping on a hill and at night, I think this is a sketchy situation. Otherwise, I like the fact that the lights turn off when ignition is off.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
The parking lights, in many European countries, allow for either side to be on, depending on how your car is parked. This makes your car visible to motorists so they won't smash into your car.

Then again, I wouldn't do this in Philly....makes the car stand out too much it would get broken into.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Like Tan said, they are there to make your parked car visible at night when you are parked on the side of the road. You'll notice truckers almost always use them.
The parking lights are not to be used while you are driving. You can get pulled over for it in some states.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know I think they are for winking you lights when a tracker trailer is try to pull over. NO? Let see who can come up with the strangest use for them.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Speaking of automatic light-turnoff and such, what is the best way to disconnect the light deactivation on the handbrake? As some of you know, the lights go off when you pull the handbrake as well. However, I like the use the handbrake when stopping on a hill and at night, I think this is a sketchy situation. Otherwise, I like the fact that the lights turn off when ignition is off.
Why don't you turn the headlight knob to the ON position. Then you can e-brake and the lights don't go out...

You shouldn't be e-braking this car either, unless you parking...not good for the center diff.

Personally, I disconnected my DRL anyway, that way I can BlackOut the lights and still leave the car running...handy when doing drug deals... ;)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
jmussetter said:

Why don't you turn the headlight knob to the ON position. Then you can e-brake and the lights don't go out...

You shouldn't be e-braking this car either, unless you parking...not good for the center diff.

Personally, I disconnected my DRL anyway, that way I can BlackOut the lights and still leave the car running...handy when doing drug deals... ;)
E-braking while stopped on a hill only....it's not going to hurt the center diff. The lights don't go off when the headlight is in ON pos? I'm quite sure mine does.....I'll have to check that wiring in that case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like Tan said, they are there to make your parked car visible at night when you are parked on the side of the road. You'll notice truckers almost always use them.
The parking lights are not to be used while you are driving. You can get pulled over for it in some states.
Isn't that why cars have emergency flashers??

·
Premium Member
12,314 Posts
Isn't that why cars have emergency flashers??
Hi and welcome to the club.

That post is from 2002 BTW.

Emergency flashers indicate you need help, parking lights indicate that you are parked. Also, if you are in Puerto Rico, you can drive drunk with your hazard lights on, but not with your parking lights.

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
Emergency flashers indicate you need help, parking lights indicate that you are parked. Also, if you are in Puerto Rico, you can drive drunk with your hazard lights on, but not with your parking lights.
Seriously??

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,314 Posts
:: Packs bags and expedia's puerto rico ::
Highly recommended. It was remarkably inexpensive back in '99 in the off season. Our room on Vieques was $40/night.

I'd take a cab though, driving there is scarey even when your straight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts