• shutdown, gear with no clutch

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, my question isn't whether all of you manual drivers park in gear, that point is irelevant as I will continue to do so whether you all do or not.

My question is this: If you park in gear do you:

a) clutch in while motor is running, select gear, turn off ignition and clutch out.

b) turn off ignition, clutch in, slide it in gear

c) turn off ignition, slide it in gear with no clutch

edit: for the record, I shutdown, clutch in, then select gear.

I've just wondered how most of you did it, and if there were an actual proper way of doing it.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I always do it this way:

Car running > clutch in > select gear > set e-brake > car off > foot off brake pedal > clutch out

I do it this way because, by letting your foot off of the brake first, you're putting all of the load on the e-brake without any strain on the tranny. If the e-brake fails, then you've got the tranny (1st gear) as a backup.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
b) turn off ignition, clutch in, slide it in gear

But most of the time I leave it in neutral and pull the E-brake. If I'm on more than about a 15% grade hill then I use option B and leave it in gear.

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
Or.....Turn it off, don't do anything, jump out reeeeeally fast, and let it roll into the woods:tongue:

It actually makes no difference how you do it whatsoever with a manual trans. As long as the e-brake is on, and it's in gear you are fine. If the car was automatic you would want to keep the stress off the park gear because they are very weak. On a manual trans you are using the regular gears which are made to stand up to much much more stress than parking.;)

·
Registered
647 Posts
i picked option A.) thats usually what i do. Sometimes i forget to pull the e-brake and then thank god i left it in gear or else i would be screwed.

·
Registered
620 Posts
when i do put it in gear it is always after i turn the car off and let the e-brake stop the car then put the gear in with the clutch while im half out of the car (because thats when i notice its a steep hill :p )

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
engine running - brake pedal - e-brake in - clutch in - car in gear - engine off - clutch out - E-brake out - brake out - car moves until gear catches - brake in - E-brake in - brake out ..

I need professional help :(

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
platano said:
engine running - brake pedal - e-brake in - clutch in - car in gear - engine off - clutch out - E-brake out - brake out - car moves until gear catches - brake in - E-brake in - brake out ..
geezuz, wtf!?

1. Stop
2. Clutch in, select neutral
3. Ebrake
4. Ignition off

I live in what has to be the flattest place on Earth....central Florida. Hills are foreign to us.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Driving stick for over 18 years, and have always:

1. Pull in to parking spot with clutch in and brake on.
2. Stop the car, place into 1st
3. Pull e-brake
4. Engine off
5. Release pedals

Once in awhile I forget the e-brake, so thank goodness that I am in the habit of putting it in 1st!:D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Have the time I forget to put it any gear when I turn it off. So after I turn it off I'll put it in reverse. I live on a hill but it's the flat portion. I interned at a school during the spring and I'd always park on a hill. When I did I'd turn the wheel all the way to the right (stupid non power steering), put the clutch in, shift into reverse, and pull the e-brake.

My brother's Rabbit doesn't have an E-brake, so you have to put it in Reverse to keep it from rolling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts