ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading some threads on air filters but couldn't really figure out what the consensus is. Should I get a new drop in/panel filter, or just leave the stock one and change it every 10/15k miles..
As far as brands, I keep hearing K&Ns suck because the oil screws up the MAF and they dont filter very well..what other choices are there?

Thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've used k&n's, stock filters and I now use a perrin filter. with the stock filter there wasn't as much intake noise(the intake silencer was removed). this leads me to believe that they don't flow as much. I could see through the k&n, so that was out. The Perrin was fairly cheap(around 30 bux) and is a very sturdy foam filter. Did I feel a difference from any filter? No. So choose one and be happy. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Subaru do a STi panel filter (pt no ST165464S000) and it's regarded over here to be one of the best filters you can get. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i know theres not really performance gains..i was just looking for a little better sound...
anyone have a link to a good deal on the perrin filter?

thanks

·
Premium Member
16,991 Posts
As long as someone can convince me that stock Subaru filters aren't robbing me of more than 1 hp, I'll just stick with them. I'm not crazy about the idea of oil getting all over my MAF...

·
Banned
1,637 Posts
I've had stock, Perrin drop-in, and a Blitz SUS short ram.

Best sound - Blitz
Best look - Blitz
Best filter - Stock
Biggest oily mess - Perrin (this thing has more oil than Billy D Williams' old hair due).

What I am running now - stock

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
seems like the sound isn't worth getting an oily filter and risking damage to the maf...maybe i'll just stick w/ the stock one as well.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
unwrittenLaw said:
seems like the sound isn't worth getting an oily filter and risking damage to the maf...maybe i'll just stick w/ the stock one as well.

Is this true???

I just ordered this one like 2 days ago...now i'm not too sure if I want to put it in.

Have others had similar problems with the perrin drop in filter?

·
Banned
1,637 Posts
It is unlikely that the oil will damage the MAF sensor. If it gets oily it can be cleaned with non-chlorinated brake cleaner. While damage of the MAF is unlikely, oil on the MAF sensor will definitely foul the readings. I had my Perrin on there for a while w/ no problems, but I decided to take it out as I really didn't feel like making MAF cleaning standard maintenance and I wasn't seeing any power gains.

·
Registered
598 Posts
there's alot more cars on the road using MAF sensors than the wrx. alot of people use K&N type oil filters, if this was a major problem i think K&N would design something better.

i believe most peoples problems are due to over oiling or using those foam style filters.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Most people do over oil the filter. The trick to cleaning the filter is lightly oiling it in a nice consistent spread and then letting it sit overnight in a dry place with good airflow.

·
Banned
1,637 Posts
Retro said:
Most people do over oil the filter. The trick to cleaning the filter is lightly oiling it in a nice consistent spread and then letting it sit overnight in a dry place with good airflow.
Probably true for the K&N or other fabric filters. The Perrin, on the otherhand, is foam and comes swimming in oil. If you decide to go with a panel filter I would stay away from that one.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Have used KN for 50 000miles. No problems. Just clean it once or twice a year, and don't use to much oil..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WRXSleeper said:
there's alot more cars on the road using MAF sensors than the wrx. alot of people use K&N type oil filters, if this was a major problem i think K&N would design something better.

i believe most peoples problems are due to over oiling or using those foam style filters.
true...

·
Registered
525 Posts
If there is a common thought, its this: the oiled filters don't provide any improvements in air flow UNTIL you begin comparing equally dirty filters. Oiled filters flow much better when dirty than a paper filter. So, if you change your filter often, you'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts