Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys are planning to paint your sideskirts? And also do you guys think it's a good idea to do it yourself?

·
Registered
292 Posts
For $200 you can buy pre-painted side-skirts from www.subaruparts.com. Granted if you are going to buy side-skirts, I'd want some aftermarket ones. But it sure beats fighting with the paint shop to get them painted for you.

And no, painting them yourself is a bad idea. You'd never get the paint / clear coat just right. It takes the right equipment and the right talent. The only cars I've seen with a DIY side skirts are high school kids with 92-95 Civics. A $25,000 car doesn't deserve to have someone cut corners to make it look better.

-- Rich

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's true... i'm just a little anxious becuase I have to repaint my bumper and all that... I'm probably going to get a bodykit sooner or later too so I might just hold off on the skirts. Thanks for the advise though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Won't believe this

I saw a 96 or 97 Civic on the way to work today with Vinyl strips on his side skirts in an attempt to color match the body. Believe me, the car was red and those strips did not even come close to matching. Plus with all the cold, dry air they were pealing horribly. In any case, I had to show the kid what cold, dry air will do for a WRX's forced induction system. Didn't even have to try hard to beat him. It wasn't clear that he was even racing until I heard his misquito-of-an-exhaust pass me as I was making the left turn into the office.

Damn, I don't miss having a Civic!:D

-- Rich

·
Registered
25 Posts
IMO buying the pre painted sides is not the best option. If you're going to spend $200 on new pre-painted sides anyway, what do you have to lose by painting your stockers? It's not like it takes a doctorate in fluid dynamics to use a spray gun, lol.

option 1, estimated cost, $75-100

Get some paint from the dealer, rent a sprayer and compressor, prep/lightly sand, primer, paint. Spray several even coats of primer, paint and clear coat in a clean, dust free environment. Take your time while doing it, then let it dry for 24 hours... it will come out just fine. (note: you may need to add a "flex agent" to the paint)

Option 2- est cost $100-$175 - body shop painting stock sides.

Whoever said you can't paint these sides doesn't know what they're talking about, you can paint anything as long as it is done right. Shop around and get the best value.

Option 3 - buy pre painted - $236 shipped. Who said these are going to match perfectly either? I think I'd rather let a body shop match the paint instead of going blind and drawing from what could very easily be two completely different batches of paint anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I went to a local car parts store. I gave them my wrx's color code 01G for platinum silver metallic and they gave me everything i needed to paint half of the car. Primer, flexible primber, paint, clear coat, and much more. Paint is guarantee to match exactly. All for less than $150 CAN thats roughly $90 US. For this price and amount i should have more than enough to paint the skirts at least a couple of more times.

I needed the paint to do a front lip and decided i want the side skirts painted too. My friend works at a body shop and he said it shouldn't be a problem with the skirts - just use some flexible primer and don't drive crazy.

Anyway this weekend i'm going over to his house and paint the skirts and front lip. He has ALL necessary hardware in his garage. :D

-thuynh2

·
Registered
907 Posts
BlazinWRX said:
How many of you guys are planning to paint your sideskirts? And also do you guys think it's a good idea to do it yourself?
Painting your sideskirts yourself is NOT a good idea...no matter how even you think you can make it...the human arm cannot match the consistency of those robotic painting arms. Did anyone see Minority Report when Tom Cruise had that phat Toyota assembled around him? Shiiii-zaaa!

Why would anyone want to paint thier sideskirts anyway? Isnt that kindof defeating the purpose? The WRX is all about sleeper performance and looking average...its not a showcar. *sigh* amateurs!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well, the whole car does look like a sleeper. Have the OEM painted skirts and see how nice it looks. I really think the car should have had those on, stock in the first place. Plus the stock 17" wheels.

·
Registered
907 Posts
ticrab said:
Well, the whole car does look like a sleeper. Have the OEM painted skirts and see how nice it looks. I really think the car should have had those on, stock in the first place. Plus the stock 17" wheels.
You know the ironic thing? THe new body style 2.5 RS HAS body colored sideskirts while the WRX dosent.

Usually car companies give thier higher badged trim levels the solid color scheme to preserve prestige...i wonder why Subaru didnt. :confused: prolly setting everyone for the highest trim level-to-be: STI.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
i think the car looks more complete and balanced with either side skirts or the painted oem ones. but i wouldn't reccomend doing it yourself. somethings are better left to the professionals.

dR

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: Re: Painting your sideskirts

Jtek said:

Painting your sideskirts yourself is NOT a good idea...no matter how even you think you can make it...the human arm cannot match the consistency of those robotic painting arms. Did anyone see Minority Report when Tom Cruise had that phat Toyota assembled around him? Shiiii-zaaa!

Why would anyone want to paint thier sideskirts anyway? Isnt that kindof defeating the purpose? The WRX is all about sleeper performance and looking average...its not a showcar. *sigh* amateurs!
Sleeper ? you obiously haven't seen some of the Aussie WRX's check out www.hot4s.com and look at some of their back issue pics and you will see some very unsleeper WRX's. That bonnet scoop really isn't very sleeper either ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
BlazinWRX,

Sorry to mess around and not helping answering your question sooner. Well, after I was rear ended last year and got some work done on my rear bumper, I asked the shop about getting my side skirt painted. They are an All State certified shop and have a lifetime warranty on all their services related to an insurance claim. Though they wouldn't guarantee the paint job at all on my side skirts. Actually the guy went to feel the material on those skirts, came back and told they woldn't do it. It's weird because a lot of people told me otherwise and said it would stick with no problem. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Jtek said:

You know the ironic thing? THe new body style 2.5 RS HAS body colored sideskirts while the WRX dosent.

Usually car companies give thier higher badged trim levels the solid color scheme to preserve prestige...i wonder why Subaru didnt. :confused: prolly setting everyone for the highest trim level-to-be: STI.
Actually the new RS does not have painted side skirts. Ill let you do some searching...

[email protected]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts