Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm painting my calipers red. i have 1 can of the high temp caliper paint. it's like 20 degrees out here. this is what i want to know

1) is 1 can enough for the 4 calipers
2) is it to cold to paint them while the car is outside or in a non heated garage.

can i get some pics of painted calipers also.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Many painting specifications call for 60 degrees F and rising.

It's hard to tell if one can is enough. Perhaps you could check with the mfgr. for coverage specs.

X

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I hate to say it, but I think you should wait til the spring. I have done a lot of spray painting in my life and I cannot say that it comes out at all good when done in improper weather conditions. The paint will not dry correctly, and you might wind up with a rather piss-poor looking finish.

-joe

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
A friend of mine just painted his calipers on his 944 and they came out horribly (red as well) because they didn't dry correctly... It was just too cold... I would suggest to wait for higher temps or access to a heated environment in which to do it...

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<little kid whining voice> noooooooooooooo i wanna do it now <little kid whining voice>

ok i'll wait until spring i guess :mad: :mad:

thanks for the info

·
Registered
178 Posts
I sprayed my brake calipers red.

I sprayed it when the temp was around 20-21 degrees C, not when it was 20 degree F (alot of difference).

Trick is, when you end up spraying it, give it many layers, each layer should be a thin, even spray. Between each layers being sprayed, give it 10-15 minutes to dry before the next.

Also, before you spray, use to sandpaper and sand away as much of the black/grey shiny stuff on the brake calipers as possible, if you don't, the paint does not stick too well.

And one can should be plenty.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aust-WRX said:
I sprayed my brake calipers red.

I sprayed it when the temp was around 20-21 degrees C, not when it was 20 degree F (alot of difference).

Trick is, when you end up spraying it, give it many layers, each layer should be a thin, even spray. Between each layers being sprayed, give it 10-15 minutes to dry before the next.

Also, before you spray, use to sandpaper and sand away as much of the black/grey shiny stuff on the brake calipers as possible, if you don't, the paint does not stick too well.

And one can should be plenty.
how did u do the white lettering. did u use a brush? or did u just tape off the whole caliper and blast it with black. thanks for the info and pic man

·
Registered
38 Posts
Aust-wrx, that looks soooo sweeeet! Didn't know painted calpers could look so good. Very nice. I'm gonna do mine just like that when the weather warms

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Those do look GOOD. How is the lettering on there? I might have to do that.

·
Registered
966 Posts
just paint them in your basement (if you plan to take them off te rotors). just don't inhale too much fumes while painting. (unless that's your thing;) )

·
Registered
178 Posts
Shard said:
Those do look GOOD. How is the lettering on there? I might have to do that.
Thanks. Its not that much work to make your car look slightly different from others, and only cost the price of a spray can ($20).

Around 1/2 hour prep work, sand, clean and cover all the parts you don't want paint to get on, and another 40 minutes to spray 4 or 5 layers (that's with 10 minute waiting in between each re-spray) so x4 for all 4 wheels.

Masking tape does the trick to cover the lettering, but make sure you push it down firmly as you don't want the paint bleeding through.

·
Registered
442 Posts
What's better, spray paint or brush on paint? A friend used brush on paint for his and they came out nice. Just wondering how the spray compares.

Did you use any high temp paint? Or special caliper paint?

·
Registered
18,630 Posts
these paints can be bought at a Home Depot or Lowe's?? tia

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just did this yesterday.

I used 1200deg f engine paint with ceramic by plasti-coat, from auto-zone.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I sprayed it, its for Brake Caliper, Drum & Rotor, 900 degree F/490 degree C, Chemical Resistant, made by VHT (USA).

We have alot of auto/car (Autopro) product shops, thats where I bought it from.

Here is a pic of the front calipers:

·
Registered
178 Posts
bsieling said:
Do not spray paint in the basment, you will blow up the house when the when the furnace or waterheater kicks on.
Hope you're not providing this advice through personal experiences?

Yes, on the can, it does say to spray in a well ventilated area, and keep away from open flames and stuff like that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is there any kind of paint that can take rotor heat? My rotors have the light rust starting and I would love to clean them up when I paint my calipers this spring.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts