ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i have an 02 black WRX with the stock wheels, and want to make the stock set up look a little better since i cant affort new rims yet........so i want to paint my calipers red. i have a few questions though for thoes of you who have does this before or know the best way to do it...

1) what kinda paint, and where do u get it?
2)ive heard brush on, and spray on...both sound good to me, which is better?
3)is it something that can dry overnight, or do u have to wait to drive again?

some of you may think these ?'s are gay, but im new to everything, i just got my ride last thrusday, but im super excited and would appreiciate anyones time in helping explain the best way to do this....
thanks

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
You can get the spray paint at any practically Autozone etc and it will say brake caliper paint. I did mine durin the day and drove it that night and it stayed on fine, just make sure you give it several coats.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
i got the brush on type in silver, did not take long to put on and i had to do less masking....
dries almost instantly

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I painted mine black with a spray can that I bought at Vatozone. FYI- Red calipers looks super ghey with the stock calipers.... and even gheyer with stock rims. Really ghey.

·
"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout"
4,124 Posts
I bought a caliper paint kit (brush on) from eBay for like 20-something. I got silver because it would clean up the ugliness of the calipers, but it wouldn't make them stand out at all and look ricey.

Masked off the immediate surrounding areas. The kit suggested that I let the paint cure for 24 hrs before driving, so i did about 20 hrs. It was easy to put on.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
qoncept said:
I think painting your ugly calipers black to hide them would look better.
I agree. Paint the stockers black. Anything other than Brembos, Willwoods, etc etc etc...look like isht painted anything other than black.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
crazycam31 said:
I painted mine black with a spray can that I bought at Vatozone. FYI- Red calipers looks super ghey with the stock calipers.... and even gheyer with stock rims. Really ghey.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone, i am not sure what color i want to do, but just one more ? for anyone who cares........
is it better to take them off to paint, or just leave it on and mask around it?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
dah, just leave em on much easier, i painted mine gold, yes that's right not black and i dont think they look too bad, dont stick out like a sore thumb and cleaned up their ugly silverishrust nastyness;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
IMO the spray method is a pita and looks like crap after a year or two. Use the G2 kit, it's guaranteed for life to never chip or crack. It's a little pricey at $40 but worth it for the results you get.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I dunno, the spray can cost like 5 bucks and took like 3 min a wheel. I didn't even really clean the calipers and about a year later and a colorado winter they look great.

·
Registered
342 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
I also painted with the G2 kit. Only thing I would advise to get aside from what the kit offers is a smaller paint brush for tight areas.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i painted mine red. Use the G2 caliper paint kit. I got it on ebay for like 35 bucks including shipping. its the way to do it, supposed to be the best kit out there.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
crazycam31 said:
I dunno, the spray can cost like 5 bucks and took like 3 min a wheel. I didn't even really clean the calipers and about a year later and a colorado winter they look great.

i'd have sex with your wheels.

dR

1 - 17 of 17 Posts