ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fun project over the weekend. I picked up some Legacy GT (snowflake) wheels for winter use and decided to paint them GK1 gold.
First, the original wheels, in pretty good shape, but going to be sandblasted down to metal, anyway.

Forgot to upload a picture after sandblasting, so skip to primer coat (after cleaning with Prep-All to ensure good adhesion to the bare metal).

Spraying two part PPG basecoat in Subaru code GK1 gold:

(glad I wore the respirator! Methyl Ethyl Ketone is no joke.)

The spray gun was just a $14.99 touch up gun from Harbor Freight and worked perfectly for the small spokes:

After the first coat of PPG two part clearcoat, you could really see the vapors that you're better off not breathing in!

There was no sanding between coats. The filler primer smoothed out the rough 54grit sandblasted cast aluminum surface pretty well, followed by the basecoat, and by the time the final wet coat of clear was sprayed, the surface was smooth as glass.

The clear coat is still hardening (I can just barely put a dent in it with my fingernail after 36 hours of cure time) so I'm waiting until Friday to get the tires mounted. General Altimax snow tires in 205/60R16.
I'll post pics of them on the car next week!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It was a lot of fun working with this paint. I'd never used a two part paint and it really made a difference, being able to spray coat on top of coat, separated by no more than 10-15 minutes, knowing it will still harden. And the paint flowed a lot better than any rattle can job I'd done. The resulting wet coat was so smooth and glassy, it really surpassed my expectations.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Looking great man! You really did a good job on them!

Want to donate them to an old e46f friend?? :rotfl:

·
Æternum
20,598 Posts
They look great! Won't 205/60 section tires gear-up the Rex? I think you want 205/55 IIRC

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking great man! You really did a good job on them!

Want to donate them to an old e46f friend?? :rotfl:
Haha, thanks! I have plenty of paint leftover, if you want to come over!

They look great! Won't 205/60 section tires gear-up the Rex? I think you want 205/55 IIRC
It'll go from 796 revs/mile to 785 revs/mile, so about a 1% difference. Hopefully it'll give me a little better mileage at highway speeds! To match the OEM diameter, 215/55R16 is recommended. I just decided to take the difficult/unproven route, so I decided narrower/taller would be better for snow/offroad.

·
Æternum
20,598 Posts
Haha, thanks! I have plenty of paint leftover, if you want to come over!

It'll go from 796 revs/mile to 785 revs/mile, so about a 1% difference. Hopefully it'll give me a little better mileage at highway speeds! To match the OEM diameter, 215/55R16 is recommended. I just decided to take the difficult/unproven route, so I decided narrower/taller would be better for snow/offroad.
I'm nit-picking because everything else I like! ;)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! Going to get the tires mounted today. Can't wait to see how they look on the car!

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Been eying up this thread since you started it...definitely looks great!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! A few more, now that the server is back up:

So glad the 205/60R16's fit! They ride great, no clearance issues, and the cornering isn't nearly as bad as I'd prepared for.
Just trying to decide whether 15mm spacers will be enough.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I need to start finding small projects like this. Soon i will be working on my wife's 70 impala and i have no experience in painting. Looks good.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks! It was a fun project, but definitely made easier because I bought the wheels with no tires mounted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wow SamXP those look great, i have some questions for you about these rims, I'm assuming these are 17inch from the year of your wrx, i also found the same legacy GT rims but in a 16 inch 5 bolt 100mm pattern, will these fit on my 2002 wrx?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts