ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While washing my car this weekend I noticed that multiple paint chips from rocks have now started to rust. I plan on using DrPaintChip to repair them but don't know what steps I should take before to remove the rust?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sanding the chip? I don't know any other way to remove already present rust. I used Dr. Color Chip on my fender for a couple rock chips... its OK. Its still a cover up so it doesn't really "fix" anything. If you look closely you can still make our the chipped area so that's just a heads up. Fill in layers for the best result to build up the chip area.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
rust is like cancer to a car... or any metal for that that matter. ALL of the rust must be removed or one day your whole fender, door, etc will just fall completely apart. I would probably sand it, the best way I could think of is either you can do the old sander paper on the eraser trick, which is where you cut out circles to fit the size of the eraser on a new pencil and then try to only move it enough to where you get the rust out. depending on if it is just surface rust or not will depend on what the best grit is. I would likely try a 400 grit paper (not wet sanding because you don't want any water to get on the fresh area) and obviously sand until you only see shiny metal. At that point you might want to order a can from paint scratch.com to match yours, tape the area(s) off and spray them.. or better yet, have the paint there. If the spot isn't to large you can apply it little by little with a toothpick until it completely fills the sanded area and then use the same pencil trick again with 2000 grit and after a few days of filling (allow 24 hours and only apply a little at a time) the spot sand it down even the rest of the paint... do so VERY gently and then either polish with a mild grit polish yourself, or take it to a detail shop and let them do it. You could actually do it by hand... it will just take a while and might leave marring that a buffer wouldn't. Don't wax it for at least 30-45 days.. i'd wait longer ... but you will have the paint coating it so at least the metal won't be able to go any moisture and air to it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I had a nice dent on my body line that resulted in chipping. After getting some PDR done to the dent it only made the paint worse. Since it was a temporary fix for me, I put a coat of clear nail polish to the area to seal the area from moisture. I recently had my car repaired from a break in so the shop fixed the area professionally while other parts were being repaired. So if you see chips seal it with something first to prevent moisture getting in and rusting the metal. Methodical4u is correct, rust is like cancer to cars. Take care of it before things get worse. Not sure the extent of your chipping but maybe do a temporary fix and save up for a respray.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Methodical4u's advice is extremely sound. Rust is just about the worst possible thing you can have happen to your car.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
There's a far easier way to deal with rust than trying to remove it which is to use rust converter. Then paint over that. No need to do any sanding of what is likely just light surface rust on your car.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
There's a far easier way to deal with rust than trying to remove it which is to use rust converter. Then paint over that. No need to do any sanding of what is likely just light surface rust on your car.
I've never been completely convinced by them... but if it works then go for it... definitely would take less time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts