Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, keep in mind that I do not have a 4EAT, so I may not understand some basics but...
From my understanding/research 4EAT stands for "4 speed Electronic Automatic Transmission", meaning that the shift changes are controlled electronically. I assume that this means that an electric charge is sent to a shifter solenoid (or something) to tell it to shift up or shift down. If this is true then it would be easy to tap into the signal wire and manually send a signal to the solenoid/ecu/whatever. It would seem that with a couple wires in the right place and buttons or paddles on the steering wheel it would be possible to have a paddle shifter type set up.
Has anyone explored this further or have an idea about why this will or will not work?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a little research for those interested (I may be the only one) and found a couple places that the wiring could be spliced or interupted. here:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No replies ehh? nobody finds this remotely interesting? stupid? pointless?
:sadwave:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hey this is cool. I just don't have an auto. I bet Nate would try something crazy like this.
You might be able to get an S4 wheel and use the wiring from that so you don't have to mess up the momo???
Cameron

·
Registered
949 Posts
it would be interesting to see. Although I'm not sure what benefits it would have on performance. Unless you can lock into what gear you want, at exactly what point, it'd be a waste. Because you'd downshift with the paddle, and the ECU would immediately upshift. (depending on the revs, rate of speed, etc.)

Don't get me wrong though, it's an interesting concept.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you would be able to override the ECU by removing its ability to send a signal to the shift solenoid (even though it would still probably be trying it's hardest to shift). You would be able to choose which gear to be in and have it stay there even past redline....

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you get some professinals in here that kow wat / how to set it up and can give me a cool pair of paddle shifter ill voulenteer my car for it :wiggles: i think that its a cool idea. and should be persued further.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts