Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a "pacing ticket" last night. I had no idea there was such a thing. My wife and I were going up a canyon, when a Sherrif passed me going around 70-75. I decided to pass the cars in front of me and proceed to go 70. The Sherrif then punches it and pulls away from me, so I gave it a little more gas. He then hits his brakes and falls into the right lane. I kick off the CC and reset it at 65. He then decides to follow me and stay right on my tail for about 5 miles. We came to some traffic so I slow down to see if he will pass me, just as I signal to pass the traffic, he lit me up. He takes his time to get to me, he then tells me that I was "pacing" him and that I was going 90. Mind you the roads were wet and this is a canyon road. There is no way I was going 90, maybe during the summer, but not in these conditions. He tells me he's cutting me a break and he wrote me a ticket for going 80 in a 65, because he knew he had no proof I was going 90. I am going to fight this ticket all the way. Hopefully the judge will see things my way. DiabloWRX

·
Registered
125 Posts
If he had no proof that you were going 90, he had no proof you were going 80 either.
Sounds like he was pissed about you keeping up with him and wanted to scare you off.

It's like following a cop in bumper to bumper traffic. His lights are on so everyone gets out of the left lane, you scoot to the left lane as soon as he passes you and it saves you 30min on your commute home from work :p
You should have no problem getting out of that ticket.
Scott

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Definitly fight that.

You can probably win, too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
see this is exactly y i hate cops. U'r in your lane minding your own business, not goin insanely fast and some donut buster pulls u over and tries to set you up for good. man i hate this kind of "super troopers" damn!!!:mad:

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
I don't understand how the cop makes all of this sound good in court.

"Yep, I was out patrolling, and just for the heck of it I decided to punch it and hit 90. This guy started staying with me, so I decided to light'em up and write him a ticket."

Wouldn't a valid question be: "Why is it safe for him to do 90, but not for me?", since he initiated the speeding frenzy?
:confused:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Sounds like the cop was driving in an unsafe fashion for no reason. Cops have to obey the speed limit too; I'd file a complaint besides just fighting the ticket!

-snowcat

·
Registered
38 Posts
crazy I got pulled over the same way... I was in the fast lane and noticed this cop was right on my ass for a bit as soon as I switched over to let him pass(i was going to slow down)he turns on his lights

my method for fighting tickets is... get an extension to go to court 2 if you can.
then when you go say not guilty and tell them you dont desire a speedy hearing. after all that took me around 6mo before the real hearing and the cop didnt show up.

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
23,896 Posts
rallymaniac said:
see this is exactly y i hate cops. U'r in your lane minding your own business, not goin insanely fast and some donut buster pulls u over and tries to set you up for good. man i hate this kind of "super troopers" damn!!!:mad:
My thoughts exactly. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spoke with a Lawyer yestersday, and he said he has never heard of a cop giving a ticket for pacing. Especially when the cop was in front of me. I think he was just pissed I kept up with him and he just wanted to waste my time.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Pacing is a really touchy subject. If a cop doesn't want to use radar, either because you have a detector or he doesn't want to, he can follow you and 'pace' you. However he needs to be within a certain distance, i think 5 car lengths, for a certain amount of time, not sure what it is. Even then it's a judgement call. There is no way he can pace you while being in front of you, so fight that to the death. That's total BS.

You might want to consider not speeding behind a cop next time, too :rolleyes:

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
Blue2004WRX said:
You might want to consider not speeding behind a cop next time, too :rolleyes:
Yeah, I was trying to be nice and not mention it, but he's right...

·
Registered
133 Posts
rallymaniac said:

And I can't stand people that sterotype all groups of people.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
sorry but i have not seen a nice cop yet, every time they have to be dick$, even when you are polite and cooperative, not to mention that one time it was on my birthday. So based on my experience so far i hate every cop, untill i come across a nice one i'll continue to do that. Free couuntry can think what i want.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
First of all, you should have no trouble pleading not guilty, since you were speeding, but not at the speed for which you were cited.

Second, you should demand the calibration records for his patrol car's speedometer, since it was used to "measure" your speed. They have to be able to prove that it is accurate and has been calibrated regularly. If he doesn't bring them on the day of the trial (and there's a good chance that he won't) then he has no case.

That's about all I have to offer, do your own research for what works in your state, and good luck :)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Also found this bit of advice:

PACING is a technique that uses the police cars own speedometer to measure your speed. The officer must pace you for a predetermined distance or time to accurately gauge your speed. They will try to follow you for a reasonable time to add effectiveness to their testimony. Any type of obstruction whether it is manmade or natural on the road or freeway is a good defense to prove that the officer did not pace you long enough. An officer that is following you might lose sight of you just long enough in a curve on the road, a hill, or heavy traffic. The farther a police car is behind you when pacing the less accurate their readings are. Any police car that is bearing down on you at a rapid pace is not registering your speed accurately. You must show in court that their "pacing" speed was in fact their "catch-up" speed. Pacing at night is much more difficult due to only taillights being seen by the officer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Wade-O, I have talked to several ex-officers that I know and they both told me to ask for the calibrated speedometer readings, and that he will not have them. They also said that its even harded to "pace" at night especially when he is in front of me. I think I will win this case. I always expect the worst when dealing with the system though. I really appreciate all your comments and advice. clubwrx rocks, Thanks guys and gals

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
he has proof you were going 90. his word.
he's lying. if you were truly doing 70 max, then 65 and he paced you (legitimate tactic for ticketing) at 65 then he's lying and will continue to do so in court.
but don't think the judge will see it your way.
any good cop knows the difference between 90 and 65, hell anyone else does as well.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My first ticket and only speeding ticket was a 'pacing' ticket. Which was BS, cause he was going the other way, turned around, and hit his lights as soon as he caught up with me. He got on my case, saying 'I had to do 80 to catch up to you.' I was like, "well of course, you were going 60 in the opposite direction." He said he clocked me at 57 coming the other way, which is BS cause I was doin like 10 over that. He ended up giving me a ticket for 54 in a 40. Of course, I was 17 and too dumb to challenge it.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts