ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i purchased the car about a month ago and it had many issues with it, well i took care of everything but these last 2 issues. first i keep getting a CEL code #p1230 (which says, AIR FUEL METERING) now i have researched it, and correct me if im wrong, but i read its either a vacuum leak or my Mass Air Flow... and then there is the PINGING! i cant even enjoy my car because as soon as i start to hit 3-4psi the car starts pinging and i cannot ruin this car since it is my daily... any help is good help guys... thank you in advance!

·
Registered
226 Posts
P1230 -fuel pump controller malfunction, i can pull the procedure for you if you want. It looks like mostly its a bad connection, bad ground a short somewhere in the circuit. Definently gonna need access to a DMM.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Definitely do not boost the car with this condition.

·
Registered
226 Posts
beat me too it :D yea i asked the master mechanic here at my shop about the code and the pinging. He said hell yea that'll cause a ping becuase you'll have low fuel pressure causing a detonation which will make the car run lean. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
As far as the "pinging", I'm not sure if it is related. Sometimes wastegate flutter can sound like pinging until you get used to it. If it is actually pinging due to detonation then that can cause instant death in a boosted car.

The best way to tell is by looking at the data the ECU stores and or logging the car. A tactrix cable is the most affordable way to do this, and you may well be able to borrow one in your area or find someone who can do a simple learning view etc.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for the quick response guys! im lovin this forum already!.. but that makes sense tho, when i have my key on "ACC" my pump stays on and wont shut off until i start the car then it starts to work appropriatley. there is a local shop in town with the Tactrix cable so i should be takin it to them tonight and puttin the car on the dyno so i can get some better readings

·
Registered
226 Posts
mycologist ive been meaning to ask what in gods name is that in your picture?

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Don't put the car on the dyno unless it checks out and I'd fix the CEL issue first as well.

Have them run learning view - the car doesn't even need to be running. Your IAM should be at 16 and there should not be major knock correction figures in the table. Your A/F learning should be <5%

It should look like this:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so this chart you posted here^^^ is that something similar to what mine should look like once the tactrix cable is hooked up?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we werent going to do hard passes on the dyno more like just regular driving but not on the street, that way we can see how everything is functioning

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
so this chart you posted here^^^ is that something similar to what mine should look like once the tactrix cable is hooked up?
That is the output from the free program "learning view" which can be easily run with the tactrix cable without even starting the car. It shows the long term learning and basically tells you if you have any serious issues that have required long term or major correction. IAM is a good global indicator of car's health - if it is less that 16 then the car has been experiencing enough detontation for the ECU to detune the car. The table with zeros shows finer learning - it should not be populated with a bunch of red numbers even if the IAM is at 16. The A/F learning shows how long term fueling looks - i.e. if you CEL is causing an issue there will be major corrections there.

Here is a link to the program: RomRaider • View topic - UTILITY: Learning View (version 0.6a 03-21-09)

Here is how you can look at your car's performance in real time by logging:
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tunin...nagement/134322905-datalogging-romraider.html

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you very much! if the tuner im going to doesn't have this i will run it by him and make sure my car gets fixxed correctly.. i really appreciate the info guys!

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
No problem!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well help me out with this real quick.... the car has a three inch downpipe, full 3 inch exhaust system with test pipe and headers and up pipe... and a KNOCK OFF BOV.. the previous owner also has a Grimm Speed boost solonoid and may have had it hooked up wrong. so since i dont think the car has been tuned, i have boost running straight from the wastegate, omitting the boost solonoid... you think that may contribute to my issues??

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I.e a line running straight from the turbo to the wastegate actuator? That is just going to limit your boost to the wastegate spring pressure (~7psi) and may be a reasonable safety measure until you get everything sorted out.

I'm not sure about how the BCS was hooked up, but most people who know enough to run one do have a tune for it. You can find out if your car was tuned with the cable - download the map that is on the ECU and look at basic stuff like target boost, WGDC. Or upload it somewhere and we can look at it for you.

Edit - the way you have the line might make the wastegate flutter more (no harm, just noise), and may explain the sound you are hearing - don't count on it though and still check for det.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah i was wondering why the heck i could hear my wastegate so much lol, it sounds pretty cool,, but i definitely hear the det still there... :( i really hope i get this fixed tonight... ill keep you posted

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I went to the dyno, changed my plugs, oil, car is still pinging... This is stressful already.. still getting P1230 (which is air fuel metering code) and now I'm also gettin a P0546 (which is bank 1 sensor heat etc)... I ordered my tactrix cable so I can pull the map on the car and see if its ever been tweaked, my wideband is going in tomorrow as well

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Instead of messing around with a wideband at this point you need to fix the issue with the fuel pump controller or whatever is causing that code. The other code is from the front EGT sensor in the uppipe. Look from under the passenger wheel well there is an observation window - remove the cover and you can see if it is a stock uppipe and if the EGT is installed. With an aftermarket uppipe there is no need for a sensor there (it monitors the cat.) and therefore the CEL is disabled with most tuning options.

I wonder if this car was reverted to stock in a half-assed way.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts