Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My car has been popping a P0031 (Heater Circuit Low) and with a bit over 130000 miles I recognize that the front O2 sensor needs to be replaced. No problem.

Of course everytime something dies on my car, I try to upgrade it. So I would like to do a wideband sensor with a gauge, and it makes sense to replace the front one since that is considered the AFR sensor, but it seems that people are useing the rear sensor for their wideband gauges. Am I correct when I read this?

Doesn't it make more sense to measure this before the catalytic convertor rather than after?

I love this forum, I find it incredibly helpful. I am hoping for a quick answer as my inspection sticker expired months ago, I need to fix this quick.

Thanks!
Kevin

·
Registered
108 Posts
You need your O2 sensor... It sends its signals/readings to the ecu. Widebands normally go in the down pipe/ after the turbo. Replace broken sensor with oem or equivalent.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
You cannot use an aftermarket wideband in place of the factory front sensor.

·
Good news, everyone!
2,013 Posts
http://www.aemelectronics.com/wideband-air-fuel-uego-gauge-kit-745

This is listed as compatible for a 2002 WRX manual...

I'd hate to have to cancel an eBay sale, but we shall see.

Post #2? I am fully aware of my need for an O2 sensor
To be fair, that guage will work in any vehicle with a gauge pod. You can't use a wideband O2 sensor in place of the stock O2 narrowband sensor. Your ECU will get the wrong readings or even unusable data from the wideband and so your fueling will be off.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts