ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bobby, where would you say your dyno falls in terms of reading high/low in comparision to other dyno's?.

Involved in a few conversations right now that are making me question my motor.

My 03 EJ20 with Full catless exhaust and K&N Drop in filter with Cobb stg 2 91 octane map baselined at 202 WHP.

The general consensus is that a stock ej20 puts down 170-185. This would mean my stage two set up gained 15-30 whp??

Additionally Cobbs site says 224 for that map on a mustang Dyno. I've heard the Mustangs read lowest of all, so was my motor down on power? If so could I get up above 250 by resolving what ever was causing that? Or would those issues have been resolved by the tune?

What do you think, should my car(badass sonic wagon) make more then 250whp?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought all Mustang Dyno's were named "Heartbreaker"!

Your numbers are not much more then mine. Do you have a baseline number before Bobby got in there?

I do realize that sonic yellow is good for 35WHP.....

·
Premium Member
14,838 Posts

Your numbers are not much more then mine. Do you have a baseline number before Bobby got in there?

Billy has a VF 39 and Don't you still have a stock TD04? thats where he gets alittle more power then you.

And yes Dyno Dynamics is known as the HeartBreaker... I guess, some people say it reads low but every dyno reads little different.

·
Registered
159 Posts
trying to compare dyno numbers is really difficult to do when comoparing between different dyno's, but what you need to focus on is power gained between cobb off the shelf map and your protune. People argue all the time on who's dyno is more accurate. From what I have seen I feel that our dyno reads just about the same as a mustang dyno, and it goes up from there with other dyno manufactures. We have dynoed a couple of bone stock wrx's and they land between 179-190 baseline power, we have also dynoed a couple of bone stock sti's and they land between 240-250. I dont think your car is in anyway down on power, 249 to the wheels on a protune is really good for a stg 2 setup we typically see about 240-245 on stg 2 2.0 with stock tmic protuned, when you get larger tmic it goes up a little and when you get the fmic in there we have seen as much as 265 wheel on stock turbo and other supporting mods. I think your car is right in there with the mix.

thanks-
bobby

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I bellieve after bobby tuned my car i'm at 248 at the wheels with a cobb turbo back. I'm still running the stock turbo with oem tmc. I just recently did the up pipe and oh my god did it make a difference:eek::eek:... I hit boost a lot more quicker then i did previously.. Not to say i was lagging at with the tdo04 with the cobb turbo back. My goal is to see how much power i can get out of my stock turbo after gutting the exhaust. Only have to get headers now and to get a bigger tmc.. I'm hopping for something around 260-270 to the wheels after i get it tuned again.

·
Registered
237 Posts

base line off the shelf cobb vf39map was 240whp/230ftlb or somewhere around there +/-.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I bellieve after bobby tuned my car i'm at 248 at the wheels with a cobb turbo back. I'm still running the stock turbo with oem tmc. I just recently did the up pipe and oh my god did it make a difference:eek::eek:... I hit boost a lot more quicker then i did previously.. Not to say i was lagging at with the tdo04 with the cobb turbo back. My goal is to see how much power i can get out of my stock turbo after gutting the exhaust. Only have to headers now and to get a bigger tmc.. I'm hopping for something around 260-270 to the wheels after i get it tuned again.
ROBeRT u really got ur mind set on those mods man that rox. cant wait to see ya sat. u still goin?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
yah, It would be really nice if i could car pool with somebody.. I kinda already made the trip down there recently and wouldn't mind just relaxing while somebody else drives.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
base line off the shelf cobb vf39map was 240whp/230ftlb or somewhere around there +/-.

So that would mean your VF39 set up (with OTS map) was good for an additional 40ish WHP over my td04. That sounds high, am I wrong?

If that is high, that again makes me think I was down on power when I baselined 202....

I really just need to go to PIR and see what I can trap. When are you all going there again?

·
Registered
3 Posts
you know for the numbers your putting down it would be fun to race down at the track with you. next time the crew meets up you need to go man.

·
Registered
159 Posts
So that would mean your VF39 set up (with OTS map) was good for an additional 40ish WHP over my td04. That sounds high, am I wrong?

If that is high, that again makes me think I was down on power when I baselined 202....

I really just need to go to PIR and see what I can trap. When are you all going there again?
if you were down on power I would not be able to magically make your motor up on power and get you 249 whp. your off the shelf map you had on there was just not working well with your mods you had, which is a good reason to show why a protune works out best always. you should be able to run low 13's pretty easy and if everthing goes together well for you maybe even high 12's trapping around 102 would be my best guess.

I think you are to focused on what you had before your tune and not seeing what you have now like I said before if you are down on power then you would still be down on power and your tune would of netted you less of a gain.

thanks-
bobby

p.s. you are more than welcome to come hang out with us and run with us the next time we head to the track.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay Bobby, No more focusing on the past.

You think I would see any benefit from one step colder plugs? Currently running Stock ej20 plugs.

I definately want to go to the track. Let me know when your all going next.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Okay Bobby, No more focusing on the past.

You think I would see any benefit from one step colder plugs? Currently running Stock ej20 plugs.

I definately want to go to the track. Let me know when your all going next.
colder plugs are not really needed until you start talking about turbo upgrades. As far as going to the track we are having our dyno day this sat. and if weather is nice we might hit the track after that.

thanks-
bobby

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
wow bobby now you are really sucking me into bring my car... When you say track assume to watch right??? Not to actually drive your car on right?? Unless you can drag race it.. That would be cool but i would be taking it easy on my tranny.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Oh... Tempted to see what my car can do...

·
Registered
3 Posts
yeah ive been dying to go. last year i trapped 13.7 with 210 whp the next week i got tuned to my 240whp and then realized that PIR was closed for the rest of the year, so ive been dying to see what i can pull now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts