ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 WRX WRB
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I am a new owner of a 2018 Premium WRX. I want to start by saying I love my car. With that said I want to work on it! I bought a WRX because it is a car that I can really make my own with modifications, as a recent college grad with a limited budget. I thought that a great place to start would be a cold air intake. I have always been a bit disappointed the stock intake was not more aggressive. I dove into the research and found the Mishimoto intake that looked pretty perfect for my needs. I have lots of friends who have done it to their cars and just gone on their merry way leaving me the only one thinking about the tune. Part of the Mishimoto intake that has be writing this is that it says that running 93 octane I do not need a new tune. This is where I start to understand very little. I have never owned a car that I needed to tune so I am so very lost. If someone has an article about tuning WRX's please let me know. So now for the questions.

1. Do I just shell out the $600 to Cobb and get the accessport? Or is there another option?
2. Is the Mishimoto worth it? Would I need to tune it?
3. Can I tune the car without a just a laptop and a OBD-II cable?
4. Is a Cobb stage 1 package the best option so suck it up and spend the money?
5. And any wisdom about tuning the car and other engine modifications that would give me more power.

Thanks for all of your help in advance and I apologize for any dumb questions in there.

·
12,230 Posts
Your only option for that mishimoto intake is to buy the intake, buy an accessport then buy a specific tune for it. it's not a one size fits all ordeal.

Cobb is usually the all in one stop as they will have an the intake and off the shelf tunes available for it for free.

But specifically

1. There are more tuning options, cobb is the most accessable and well supported.

2. Yes it has to have a tune, no idea as I've heard both good and bad.

3. I don't know what open source software is available for the 2015+ cars. Most of the guys who worked with it are now employees of cobb.

4. Your best option is to leave it alone and not modify it at all.

5. You have to pay to play. The wallet is the limit and that limit can easily be smashed. With that comes unreliability issues and crazy expensive rebuilds?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
325 Posts
You need to find yourself a local and REPUTABLE Tuner to discuss these things with.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
BooSTIng
2,913 Posts
You need to find yourself a local and REPUTABLE Tuner to discuss these things with.

I agree and disagree with this. For a simple bolt on such as an intake, I don't think finding a protuner and getting their advice on an intake is needed. When you start getting into things such as boost controllers, bigger injectors, turbo upgrades, and fueling mods is when I suggest to find a good tuner and pick their brain. Most tuners have their desired parts in which they feel most comfortable tuning. The OP really answered his own question here. A cobb intake and a cobb stage 1 +intake OTS tune from the accessport is all he needs.

OP, all intakes need tuned for. Some companies will claim theirs does not. But it literally is just a marketing technique to trick uneducated or non knowing customers to buy their product.

The easiest thing would be to buy the cobb sf intake, and the cobb accessport to flash the map (tune) to the car. The accessport is extremely user friendly and easy to use. And if you cant figure it out, cobb's customer service is top notch and anyone would be willing and able to walk you through it by phone.

Reactions: a5m

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
325 Posts
I agree and disagree with this. For a simple bolt on such as an intake, I don't think finding a protuner and getting their advice on an intake is needed. When you start getting into things such as boost controllers, bigger injectors, turbo upgrades, and fueling mods is when I suggest to find a good tuner and pick their brain. Most tuners have their desired parts in which they feel most comfortable tuning. The OP really answered his own question here. A cobb intake and a cobb stage 1 +intake OTS tune from the accessport is all he needs.

OP, all intakes need tuned for. Some companies will claim theirs does not. But it literally is just a marketing technique to trick uneducated or non knowing customers to buy their product.

The easiest thing would be to buy the cobb sf intake, and the cobb accessport to flash the map (tune) to the car. The accessport is extremely user friendly and easy to use. And if you cant figure it out, cobb's customer service is top notch and anyone would be willing and able to walk you through it by phone.
Which is why OP should discuss his plans with a Tuner. They'd explain to him that he could probably skip the intake for now because there are better ways to spend your money.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
The stock intake is rated to handle a lot more power than you're pushing stock. I'm not sure what you mean by more aggressive. The most you'll gain from this mod is noise, or whatever the Cobb tune itself will give you.

·
Registered
2018 WRX WRB
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which is why OP should discuss his plans with a Tuner. They'd explain to him that he could probably skip the intake for now because there are better ways to spend your money.

What is something you would do before an intake?

·
Æternum
21,275 Posts
Budget and goal.

Determine those two things first.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
As stilletto has said, and zax as well, there are 2 things you should look at:

1) Budget and Goals
2) Supporting Mods within Budget and Goals

IMO, and many will agree, an intake of any aftermarket kind is nothing more than a noise maker on a stock block. The stock boxes on our cars are good to at least 350whp and higher. If you want "super cool turbo wooshy noises" then it will be more beneficial to get a J-Pipe and a dyno tune/e-tune. There are too many factors that can go wrong with an aftermarket intake such as:

1) Incorrect filter placement on the pipe
2) MAF Extension cables that corrode easily

1 - 11 of 11 Posts