Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I brake moderately approaching a junction, I'll often shift into first right at the very last moment before I come to a complete halt ( <5 mph ). If there is grit on the road, the stupid ABS will kick-in right as I'm shifting, which causes a semi-crunch where the shifter will jump around in my hand!

Am I the only person experiencing this? Why does the ABS going active during a gear-shift cause the tranny to crunch!!?!:eek:

I gotta get myself an ABS kill-switch.... :rolleyes: Really, this is the worst (most oversensitive) ABS system I have driven. Too bad they calibrated it for snow conditions instead of agressive pavement driving.

-Pace

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Subaru decided to make a sure footed grandpa of an ABS system. To tell you the truth, most of the rallyers here don't use ABS either....and I quote, "I think it pretty dangerous sometimes"......I concurr

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Pace,

It sounds to me that you have a mis-calibrated ABS sensor on atleast one wheel. I always downshift into first when I'm on the brakes approaching an intersection. My ABS never kicks on in this situation. Also, as the brakes wear down (I have 18k+ miles of mostly hard driving) the ABS becomes much better. It seems a lot less likely to come on unexpectedly and when it does it works MUCH better.

I agree that the ABS seems to be calibrated for snow. Fortunately, during the summer, you can yank the ABS fuse out and be on your way.

-Jim

pace said:
When I brake moderately approaching a junction, I'll often shift into first right at the very last moment before I come to a complete halt ( <5 mph ). If there is grit on the road, the stupid ABS will kick-in right as I'm shifting, which causes a semi-crunch where the shifter will jump around in my hand!

Am I the only person experiencing this? Why does the ABS going active during a gear-shift cause the tranny to crunch!!?!:eek:

I gotta get myself an ABS kill-switch.... :rolleyes: Really, this is the worst (most oversensitive) ABS system I have driven. Too bad they calibrated it for snow conditions instead of agressive pavement driving.

-Pace

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have heard many problems about ABS sensitivity, isn't their a way to adjust this. Its probably not easy but I figure that their has to be a way?

·
Registered
17 Posts
i completely agree with the oversensative abs. :mad:

i don't have a wrx yet but i do have a impreza outback and i think i can stop faster with my non-abs second car in the wet, dry or snow!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I pulled the fuse on my abs- everytime I would hit the brakes and hit a bump I would loose my brakes for a sec or two. which can't be good. I've heard of a lot of people who have had this problem too.

·
895 Posts
yeah, i too have the same problem. whenever i stop and theres sand or gravel or a small puddle ahead of me, the abs kicks in for a second or two. so you're not alone with this problem. anyways, i installed the abs switch, but i keep it off (for safety reasons) during daily driving, so i just deal w/ the problem. heres the thread if you wanna install the abs, it only cost me 3$ for the switch, plus 2$ for the wires.
abs

·
Registered
3 Posts
i had something like this happen to me once, i was going 4 mph and turning slowly.. the ABS kicked in and disabled ALL braking, i had to e-brake to prevent from going off the road and down the side of the mountain. I know have an ABS disable switch easily accessible if this happens again. ABS turns off immediately and takes a couple seconds to turn on again once the switch is flipped back.

edit: "ya, what he said..." ABS is always on unless I know I can do better braking without it or I am experiencing the problem at that moment.

/\
|
|
|

·
895 Posts
yeah, only take abs off when the road is DRY or you're at the autox or a road course. otherwise you might be putting yourself in more danger.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
couple things.

i have the same problem pace. sometimes jut a bumpy patch of pavement will set it off. totally drives me nuts.

does removing the ABS fuse disable anything else?

is there a ways to adjust the sensitivity of the ABS, rather than just disconnect them all together?

plat, i disagree with you, i don't think he has faulty ABS sensors.

dR

·
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking of fitting an ABS disable switch, but I'm also waiting to see what will happen with the NHTSA investigation. A recall would be nice, but my hopes will probably be in vain.

Since there is no electronic traction control on the WRX, I don't think the ABS fuse will disable anything else.

-Pace

1 - 12 of 12 Posts