Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a PWR radiator and zerosport thermostat and I seem to be overheating, My needle is hitting 3/4 of the way up on idle. I'm using 70% distilled water and 30% prestone antifreeze with some redline water wetter. Is there air trapped in the cooling system that is casusing me to overheat; if so, how do I get it out to fix the problem. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you believe there is air, try this. When the car is cold start it with the radiator cap off. Watch the fluid level- it should peak at the top of the radiator. If it does'nt and the fluid level falls so there is a reasonable ammount of core exposed- could mean air was trapped. So, with the car still running- fill with fluid/water until the top of the core is covered. Replace the cap. Run the car around for awhile and check the plastic resoivor bottle. Add there idf needed. if you overfilled should be no problem. Last- what is the temp rating of your new thermostat. same as stock? If so remove and test it in boiling water with a thermometer to see when it opens. It would not be the firts defective thermostat ever sold.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. i'm actually running the zerosport thermostat. I will try out what you said and get back to you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i know the benifit of a bigger radiator is that the engine keeps cooler so has higher horsepower, but how much hp gain can you actually expect from a new radiator? or is it just one of the pieces that needs to be upgraded when you highly mod your car?

·
Registered
559 Posts
newbie967 said:
i know the benifit of a bigger radiator is that the engine keeps cooler so has higher horsepower, but how much hp gain can you actually expect from a new radiator? or is it just one of the pieces that needs to be upgraded when you highly mod your car?
Good question.
I think the PWR Radiator is good for highly modded cars or for very hot places.
Tuca

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think it is a good mod for the following scenerios:

-do a lot of road racing/endura type of stuff
-drive it hard in places like Phoenix in the summer
-stock radiator starts leaking at the top after warranty is up

My bet is the system still has some air pockets in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts