Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Subaru WRX and it has been overheating for a week now. It would randomly spike to the red, then drop down to normal in a matter of seconds. I think it’s the thermostat not opening to let coolant in. Because also my heater runs cold at times. Most of the time it is hot. Let me know if you guys have any info on this. Thanks ✌

·
Super Moderator
10,883 Posts
I have a 2010 Subaru WRX and it has been overheating for a week now. It would randomly spike to the red, then drop down to normal in a matter of seconds. I think it’s the thermostat not opening to let coolant in. Because also my heater runs cold at times. Most of the time it is hot. Let me know if you guys have any info on this. Thanks ✌
Thermostat is most likely the issue. However it could be anything in the system plugging including trapped air. You need to pressure test the system, replace the thermostat, and if you haven't it may be time to take a look at the timing belt and water pump

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m at 107600 miles . It’s. 2010 and has never been replaced so yeah I’m going to have to do that eventually it just overheated again as I pulled into the grocery store and idk what to do.. I know to turn the heat on full blast. My coolant is full so that’s not the issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thermostat is most likely the issue. However it could be anything in the system plugging including trapped air. You need to pressure test the system, replace the thermostat, and if you haven't it may be time to take a look at the timing belt and water pump
I’m hoping it’s not a hg issue . There are no signs of it my oil is clean . Not losing coolant. No white smoke. Nothing on my oil cap...

·
Super Moderator
10,883 Posts
When it overheats pull over and let it cool down.

If you don't have a head gasket issue now you will. The car needs parked. With that many miles and the age you need to do the timing belt and water pump. If the belt fails you won't be worrying about the overheating problem because you'll be buying a new shortblock and rebuilding heads.

Because is you need to open the system for the water pump it's a prime time to fix the over heat issue. You can take it somewhere or do it yourself. If you take on the task you should be able to get any tools you dont have loaned to you by eurozone. If I remember they have the equipment to pressure test the cooling system available to loan.

You may want to check the compression as well. This many overheat situations I strongly suspect the head, block, or both are warped

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When it overheats pull over and let it cool down.

If you don't have a head gasket issue now you will. The car needs parked. With that many miles and the age you need to do the timing belt and water pump. If the belt fails you won't be worrying about the overheating problem because you'll be buying a new shortblock and rebuilding heads.

Because is you need to open the system for the water pump it's a prime time to fix the over heat issue. You can take it somewhere or do it yourself. If you take on the task you should be able to get any tools you dont have loaned to you by eurozone. If I remember they have the equipment to pressure test the cooling system available to loan.

You may want to check the compression as well. This many overheat situations I strongly suspect the head, block, or both are warped
I had it inspected by my mechanic and they said it was a leaking head gasket . I have a 6mo warranty and took it back to the dealer and they said two mechanics looked at it and said there was no overheating issues and the heads were fine. I now am hiring a lawyer because it overheated again on my way to work. And I called a Subaru dealership and made an appt for them to look at it

·
Super Moderator
10,883 Posts
Well good luck sir. Hopefully everything works out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts