Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 WRX Hatch running Stage 3 AP.

My mods are

Cobb Accesport V3
Cobb SF Intake
Grimmspeed EBCS
Grimmspeed TMIC W/Perrin Throttle Body to Intercooler Coupler
Perrin Turbo Inlet Pipe
Stock BOV
Invidia Catless Divided Wastegate Downpipe
Invidia Catless Catback Exhaust W/1 O2 sensor

I'm currently running the cobb stage 2+sf 93 mt v331 LWG Map
I was running Tourqed Performance Stage 3 Map
I did a data log and took a picture of my parameters. I am still over boosting in every gear. I'm boosting up to 20.1 PSI and once I hit 3rd hear an at 5500RPM it throws a code and puts my car into limp mode. The code of course is the overboost code. The check engine light comes on, the cruise control flashes, the brake light comes on.

Here is what my AP readings are in 1st-4th
gear 120mph 11° degrees out and I'm in mountains high altitude

Boost
11.76/19.57

Feedback Knock
-1.40/0.00

Fine Knock Learn
0.00/0.00

Dyn. Adv. Mult.
1.000/1.000
DAM

Dynamic Adv. Len
0.00/6.50

Dynamic Adv.
0.00/6.62

So first off is that a bad knock reading? And second how the hell do I stop over boosting before I blow something up?? [

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the data from my most recent log. This is after I ran 1st-4th gear 120mph 11° degrees outside in the mountains of PA so very High Altitude. Does anyone know how to read these data numbers? And why am I over boosting to 20psi?

Attachments

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
First and foremost. Your car needs protuned. I wouldn't drive it if at all possible until it is protuned. If you must drive it then stay entirely out of boost until you get protuned.

The cobb map you are running is not calibrated to run a lot of your modifications. Cobb has map noted for each map of what modifications are allowable for said map. With the current map you are running, the only mods that should be on the car are the cobb SF intake, and a turbo back exhaust with a CATTED (not catless) downpipe.

Driving your car in the state it is in now will eventually cause serious damage to the engine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Overboosting is obviously your issue here... -1.4 knock isn't bad. But I don't know if all your mods are correct for the tune, definitely not for the Cobb 2+ tune. If I were you, I'd get with Torqued Performance tech support with your data log and see what they have to say about it. To me, this has a tuning problem written all over it and a protune would be your fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey I have a Tourqed Performance Stage 3 map that I bought last night. It says that all my mods are okay for this map. But when I uploaded onto my AP and I ran there map. I didn't overboost any more but it kept cutting off at idle.

And as for the Cobb stage2+ map that was the highest stage map that they offerwed for my car currently. This is my daily driver and my only car. I have an appointment Jan 14 at IAG performance in Westminister MD to get a protune. I was just wondering was there any changes I can make until then to help with the Stage 3 Tourqed Performance Map with getting it to not cut off at idle or was there a way i could make some changes to my Cobb Stage 2 map?

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
Overboosting is obviously your issue here... -1.4 knock isn't bad. If I were you, I'd get with Torqued Performance tech support with your data log and see what they have to say about it. To me, this has a tuning problem written all over it.
Exactly. The obvious problem here is that he is running base OTS maps on a car that requires a pro tune.

OP, either demod back to the map notes, or get a pro tune. Only options here really.

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
Hey I have a Tourqed Performance Stage 3 map that I bought last night. It says that all my mods are okay for this map. But when I uploaded onto my AP and I ran there map. I didn't overboost any more but it kept cutting off at idle.

And as for the Cobb stage2+ map that was the highest stage map that they offerwed for my car currently. This is my daily driver and my only car. I have an appointment Jan 14 at IAG performance in Westminister MD to get a protune. I was just wondering was there any changes I can make until then to help with the Stage 3 Tourqed Performance Map with getting it to not cut off at idle or was there a way i could make some changes to my Cobb Stage 2 map?
I also go to IAG for my tuning. Great place. Nothing you can do. At this point it is dangerous to drive your car. Stay OUT of boost entirely. Baby the thing like its a prius until you get tuned. Best advice I can offer you other than returning the car to where the mods match the cobb map notes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was just wondering was there any changes I can make until then to help with the Stage 3 Tourqed Performance Map with getting it to not cut off at idle or was there a way i could make some changes to my Cobb Stage 2 map?
Don't adjust the tune if you don't know what you're doing, the cobb tune is conservative tune for stage 2+ configured cars and isn't meant to be screwed with. Either don't drive the car until you get a protune or like WRX-maniac said, demod the car to match the map notes. This is absolutely a tuning issue so I would demod the car for now. Overboosting is a serious problem and isnt to be taken lightly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Hey WRX-Maniac so is IAG a good place to go? I live in Pennsylvania about an hour and a half from there. I really didn't know where to take make my car. So I just googled the closest place that times Soobies. I guess I'm just gonna have to baby the **** out of the car until I get my tune.

Hey from you having already worked with IAG and have got a tune from them. With my current mods where do you think I will be at as far as horsepower and TQ go?

And I ran a 12:9 1/4 on my old stage 2 setup. Do you think I will break into the 11's in the 1/4 mile after my protune?

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
IAG is an outstanding shop. Top notch. You made a solid choice going to them.

As far as numbers go, I had the following mods done to my 2011 wrx when it got tuned. AEM cai, GS ebcs, process west tmic, invidia turbo back exhaust, and an IAG AOS. The car made 315whp and 337wtrq.

But understand that dyno numbers are skewed. They all mostly read high so that the customer is happy. My concern was safety and health of the car knowing that it was properly tuned for the mods, and drivability. Cleo, the resident tuner at IAG, is very good. You will be happy with it once it is done.

As far an times on a track, I don't know. I don't drag race my STi, or have I ever dragged any of my subarus. If I wanted to do that I would have bought a v8 lol. I will be building my STi for autocross. But your times should come down some.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks buddy I appreciate the feedback. Yeah I can't wait until I get it tuned. It's gonna be like driving a totally new car. Is there any WRX meets or Subaru meets? It be cool if there was!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The knock is not really the issue, the DAM dropping from 1.0 is baaaad. That TP 3. Like all his other AP maps is a base map, Eric will make adjustments and revisions based on the unique mods you have. He is super good about quick response. Im curreny on revision 3 of his stage 1 map. Dec takes some ironing out to get the fuel trims compatible. Maniac is spot on with his suggestions. But be careful and don't go into boost at all with it acting like it is, till u make adjustments.

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
Now that we have cleared up the facts about needing a protune, and that the current map(s) you are using are not suitable for your modifications and you have set up a date for a protune, we will cover the next issue. And that is overboosting.

Not sure what the target boost is for your current map (remember you need to be staying entirely out of boost until a protune), but if you are indeed overboosting by a few psi then you may have boost creep. Boost creep is when a fully opened wastegate not being able to flow enough exhaust to bypass the housing via the wastegate itself. More times than not this is caused by having a catless downpipe. It is a common misconception that tuning can get rid of boost creep, but that is a myth. The only way to get rid of boost creep is going with an external wastegate setup. IAG should be able to diagnose boost creep if it is present while being tuned. But if you are boost creeping be prepared to drop some money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts