Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been very worried since last Saturday and I don't really want to know the real consequences, but I have been losing sleep over this so here it goes.

On Saturday, I installed my TurboXS MBC and went for a drive. I thought all the hoses were set up correctly and I turned in the set screw all the way in and 2 turns out. I drove off, turned the corner, and punched it. My Blitz TT boost gauge WARNING is set for 1.12 hkpa (16.24psi). I took off and heard my warning go off, let off the gas immediatly, and couldn't believe my eyes. I got a reading of 1.40hkpa(around 20psi). I immediatley pulled over and turned in the set screw all the way in. Took off again, punched it in 2nd, and the warning went off again, immediately letting off the gas. This time it went to 1.2hkpa(17.4 psi). So by now I am REALLY pissed off, I look at the hoses and the hose that connects to the back of the turbo was put onto something else. I said OH $hit!!!!! I put the hose back on to where it was supposed to be, and then went ahead and set my MBC at 15.5psi.

I haven't had any idle problems, no stumbling of acceleration of any sort, no oil consumption, and no smoke coming out ot the tail pipe. I am just worried.

Should I be worried about over boosting for a split second. Can these cars take overboosting for a split second? I need to hear some feedback. Right now there is no problems with my car but I am scared. I have read that 18 and 20 psi can be run on these cars. And I only boosted for a SPLIT SECOND. Do I have anything to worry about? It almost just wants to make me take the MBC off and run stock from now on. But I can't stop worrying.

GOD, I would like to hear some feedback from you too, since your comments are probably the most well respected on this club.

Thanks in advance.
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
33 Posts
i was running a MBC a while ago and i dont think you have anything to worry about if the car is running fine now

anyone correct me if im wrong, but i think that the ECU will pull back the timing if the boost gets too high and/or the fuel cutoff will kick in, thus protecting the engine

i know that i could feel timing being pulled when i was accidentally running at about 16-16.5 psi

BTW i found that my car ran the best (fastest) with the MBC set at 15.5 (i think 1.05 Bar) in 3rd WOT

PS....u NEED to get the uppipe...its a must

·
Registered
424 Posts
If the CEL didn't come on and everything is running OK, count your blessings, you should be OK. I would reset the ECU so it doesn't continue to pull timing and won't remember this incident

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a_is_a_1984, Thanks for the info. And my Godspeed Uppipe came in the mail today. It will be A WHILE before I put it in. I am also going to get a EGT gauge after or during the Uppipe install. And yeah, the car runs perfect. It just scared the $hit out of me.

jmussetter, Nope NO CEL light. I will reset my ECU tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

You guys are making me feel better already. Maybe I can get a whole nights sleep tonight. Thanks fellas.

Anyone else have any suggestions or comments??

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
907 Posts
interesting...Im sure there was no major damage due to the overboost. If its running fine like "aisa1984" has mentioned there should be no problem. But check for leaks in case. In any case, any type of mod such as the mbc that we do will reduce engine life through accelerated wear and tear. You got lucky, I would of expected some damage from 20lbs of boost. Be careful next time...

·
Registered
15 Posts
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:

Should I be worried about over boosting for a split second. Can these cars take overboosting for a split second? I need to hear some feedback. Right now there is no problems with my car but I am scared. I have read that 18 and 20 psi can be run on these cars. And I only boosted for a SPLIT SECOND. Do I have anything to worry about? It almost just wants to make me take the MBC off and run stock from now on. But I can't stop worrying.

GOD, I would like to hear some feedback from you too, since your comments are probably the most well respected on this club.

Thanks in advance.
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
I wouldn't lose sleep over it...i dont believe two split second overboosts would do much damage.. i mean if it would have, your engine probably woulda been toast by now. Besides, when something is engineered, it's usually "over engineered"(as in the label says less than what it can actually handle) so it can last long and under abuse the engineers didn't think of when designing. If you are very paranoid about this, you can probably get some engine dianostic and compare numbers against a fresh engine to see if you have any damaged seals or what not, but I highly doubt two split second burts would have killed anything.

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah, I know of engineering since I work in R&D. All the products we manufacture are ALL over engineered above some type of level. I am feeling a lot better. And the car seems to run fine still. And the best thing, no CEL. Don't you think that I would have gotten a CEL if the computer thought I was doing harm to the engine? Just like if I was going to rev the engine over REDLINE, I would probably get a CEL. I gues every scenario has its own circumstance. I turned my MBC down to 14.5psi now, just in case.

I really don't trust my boost gauge either. I think someone asked this question, but I am too tired this morning to do a search. Are there any brands of boost gauges that are calibrated or can be calibrated by another company so you can rely on a BOOST GAUGE or any gague for the matter, like EGT, Fuel Pressure, etc. The reason I ask, is here at work, all of our gauges are calibrated by an outside vendor, but that is for FDA purposes.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Keep them coming.
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
1,911 Posts
It's really a non-issue especially with the tiny stock turbo. You didn't even have a chance to heat up the charge in 2 seconds so don't worry. It's just fine. Now if you did a 4th gear pull at 20 PSI then I'd start to worry that you're damaging your bearings. Otherwise sleep well. Car's fine.

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
God said:
It's really a non-issue especially with the tiny stock turbo. You didn't even have a chance to heat up the charge in 2 seconds so don't worry. Otherwise sleep well. Car's fine.
Thanks God. I thought the same thing but wasn't sure. I just don't know enough about all these computer controlled cars and this is my first turbo car.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Plat
[BNo worries. The ECU would've cut the fuel before any damage occured anyway!!![/B][/QUOTE]

I also read that somewhere too Jim, and thanks to all that answered. I feel a lot better now.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts