Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in America's Outback. A long, long way from any tuner that has been discussed on this forum or i-club. I want to install some fairly serious mods in about 6 months, and I want it done RIGHT. To me that means a pro install and dyno tuning. But I have some serious reservations about driving cross-country to a tuner I do not know and trusting them to "get it right the first time". If I were to have any problems, or need some tweaking, it would mean at least adays drive (maybe more), and a couple overnight stays to get pretty much anything done. I like traveling as much as the next guy (especially in my subby), but if I were to have a "serious" problem, I would be SOL, trying to solve it via telephone, or pony up for cross-country shipping of the entire car (ouch).

I have been a motorhead since high school (in the early 70's) and I do not hesitate to work on good ole US built muscle cars. I even do a fair share of work on my 88 RX7 (but this I pretty much race only, so if it is down for a while it is OK). I hesitate to tackle a turbo install and especially the up pipe (after hearing horror stories of leak after leak after leak....). I have access to a friends shop, but he is a drag racer of Detroit-powered iron, and he just chuckles at the thought of dragging my little subby (just drop a small block in that thing and be done with it :rolleyes: ) I would certainly give it a go, but I don't want to battle with multiple installs and troubles.

So, to make a long story even longer: would an "average" mechanical Joe be able to tackle say a TSX stage 4 install and then be able to drive it to a dyno-capable shop for tuning, and have a reasonably reliable daily driver? Should I entrust a shop for the install? Or should I just be satisfied with a mildly modded subby and break out my RX7 to blow away the integras at the local stoplights?

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Wow! Where do you live?!?!

It would be quite difficult, but the average Joe might be able to do it (you) Make a road trip out of it if you want to. Family vacation/Tuner shop. Mailorder everything else necessary if there is a problem.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
oooogg...:(
I really dont know what to say about this one...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts