ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being away from the Subaru brand, I'm looking foward to bcoming a WRX owner. I stopped in today to look at and drive the WRX for the first time. Wow! I am very impressed with it.

Am I wrong to expect the dealer to work with me on a new 2011 on the lot? What I've gotten so far is that he sells at or above list (it's a WRX Premium, not the STI). He is hemming and hawing at letting it go at list, plus title, tax, etc.

Is he playing hard to get?

·
Registered
133 Posts
It depends on your area but dealers are pretty reluctant to sell WRX's on the lot for less than list price, although you should be able to order a 2012 for closer to invoice (or maybe below if you get lucky) if you are willing to wait the 6-10 weeks to get it. Depends on how bad you need it, but it's usually worth the money to order one and wait.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your thoughts on this....I'm in no great hurry and the dealer knows it. I suspect I'll hear back from him soon to discuss further.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That's good, as long as you don't need it right away the ball is more in your court...I would definitely shop around for the best quote, I talked to 4-5 dealers through email and in person before I found one that offered the price I was looking for- I ended up saving close to $2000 off sticker and my car even arrived in less than a month

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
I dunno where you are located, but when I'm looking for a car I shop the internet sales managers all over. Often times you get $1500 off instantly just by talking to a different guy at the same dealership.

For example, this summer I bought the wife a KIA Sorento. Sticker on the window was full boat plus $4500 markup about $32,000. Talked to a salesman and that's where he wanted to start, and "he couldnt go much lower than that." Left and emailed the internet sales manager, no nonsense, no haggling, same car $27,500 OTD!

Remember salesman/sales managers are in it for the game and commission, any mind games they can play to put more money in their pocket, they will.

My philosophy is I will drive/fly 600 miles to save $1000 and I let the dealers know it.

No harm in pitting dealers against one another either.

Take your time and be smart.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hit the internet, as suggested. Found the same car at the same dealer for 4% discount. That sales manager I spoke with was more than just a shyster, he's an idiot also.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Edmunds is a really good resource.

Also, there was a thread (now a sticky, I think) in the MAIC section of NASIOC where someone who is a salesperson at a dealership got a good discussion going about buying cars. Some good info, a lot of common sense, and some insight into the misadventures of salesperson profiling. Not very often I say you should go to NASIOC but this is one of them.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
You should be looking at 2012 models at this point. The dealer has better incentives to sell them, and they have better value for you at resale time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've gotten 2 offers for 750 under invoice just by emailing. One was a 2011 the other was a 2012. They said I can get the same price ordering one. Just saving up the down payment and going for it.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Obviously then you're going for the 2012 then right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah. Most likely ordering one because I don't want many options. And I like to know that it hasn't been beaten on.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dunno where you are located, but when I'm looking for a car I shop the internet sales managers all over. Often times you get $1500 off instantly just by talking to a different guy at the same dealership.

For example, this summer I bought the wife a KIA Sorento. Sticker on the window was full boat plus $4500 markup about $32,000. Talked to a salesman and that's where he wanted to start, and "he couldnt go much lower than that." Left and emailed the internet sales manager, no nonsense, no haggling, same car $27,500 OTD!

Remember salesman/sales managers are in it for the game and commission, any mind games they can play to put more money in their pocket, they will.

My philosophy is I will drive/fly 600 miles to save $1000 and I let the dealers know it.

No harm in pitting dealers against one another either.

Take your time and be smart.
I like your philosophy and agree with it....what really PO's me is the fact that I purchased 3 cars previously from these A-holes. Apparently, the Jr. sales manager I spoke to didn't get the memo (sales rep. didn't pass the info to him?). At any rate, I do have time and will probably head in the direction of a 2012. I'll also look for another dealer, or at least deep-six the Jr. sales manager I dealt with.....

BTW, I like your avatar, very T/A like....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts