Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our First National Meet Y2k3

Pace and I brought this up earlier, but I'm serious about this.

I want to do a national meet of epic proportions next year.

My glance at the MAP of the USA looks like Chicago or Detroit would be our best bet for a Spring meeting. We have to avoid winter because even with AWD, six feet of snow will stop you. LOL.

Suggestions?

-Jim

·
2,081 Posts
I'd recommend staying away from ANY large city. Not much go-fast potential there, and it's not like we'd be there for the nightlife, right? Holding it farther south affords more flexibility in time placement.

How about finding a track to rent? Talladega Gran Prix Raceway in Alabama is open year-round and doens't have terribly restrictive rules. Lots of car clubs rent it for a day or more, and it's pretty affordable compared to the big-name tracks.

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
I think I'm about as far away from anything so it'll be hard for me to go to it no matter where it is...

Montana would be nice though! Are all the "safe and prudent" signs down though? :(

·
Premium Member
23,369 Posts
Hows about:
St.Louis, Mo. ?
Devils Tower, Wy ?
Denver, Co ?
Sturgis, Sd ? (if harley d's go) y not us (different time though)

just some idea's....

·
2,516 Posts
Anywhere in the middle and not too much altitude!!!
A drag strip just for us could be fun too.
I'm up for anywhere.

Someone mentined St Louis - there is the Gateway International Speedway just over the river in IL.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
I vote for Detroit, MI. Dan's shop....

-Jim
I think it'd be better to have it further south so as to include more people. Folks in Texas, Southern California, Florida, etc. would have an awful long trip to get there. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Devil's tower would be awesome! Well, for photo ops, at least.
Everyone is going to take a shaft at driving and there is no real way around that. Maybe people could caravan together...then all meet in one place. I'm thinking center of the country - just so it would be fair. Verdugo and myself are 3k miles apart, and making me drive all the way to Washington isn't fair, and making him drive all the way to NY isn't either. I think somewhere near the center of the country.

·
2,516 Posts
From my rough 'big hand, small map' guestimation (Aussie Style) puts us in Wichita, Kansas as THE most central place. But I have no idea whether there is anything any good there!!!???

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WRXed said:

I think it'd be better to have it further south so as to include more people. Folks in Texas, Southern California, Florida, etc. would have an awful long trip to get there. Just a suggestion.
There is a thread for this discussion in Everyday Impreza Talk now.

-Jim

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have EAST COASTERS, WEST COASTERS, COLORADO, MICHIGAN, TEXAS, and THE SOUTHEAST to consider MAINLY.

We need a BIG track in the middle of the country to decend upon.

-Jim

·
2,516 Posts
I could check out Gateway (nr St Louis) if it was considered central enough.

I would be keen to help with organisation wherever it ended up. Need to form a committee!!!! Then hold meetings - the practical alternative to work!! ;)

Seriously though - keen to get this off the ground and put in the time to make it happen.

Cheers,

Andrew

·
5,799 Posts
WRXed said:

A good point.

Bear in mind though that Detroit is an 18 hour drive from Colorado. Any place on the east coast would be a little too far for us methinks. As it is, somewhere in the midwest would probably not be feasible for the west coast members anyway. And too much further south might make it a prohibitively long drive for the Northeast/New England folks.

Any suggestions? Kentucky is fairly central to that side of the country. Missouri (St. Louis?) would be great for those of us a little further west, but I don't know how far it would be for Northeast folks. I think it's about 10 or 12 hours from here.

We need a western states and an easterns states meet.

-Pace

·
5,799 Posts
Ok, I posted that before last I saw the thread had been split.

I vote for St. Louis, or some place in Kentucky. St. Louis is a crap hole (no offense intended to anyone), but it's relatively central and they must have several decent drag strips and plenty of extra curricular activities that we could participate in. Wherever we go needs to have both a drag strip, a racetrack that we can rent for a day, and a karting track.

However, if none of the west-coasters would show, then I'd be willing to drive a little further east to some place such as Kentucky or Ohio.

Just my 2c.

-Pace

·
5,799 Posts
Jim,

Why don't you turn this into a poll?

- St. Louis
- Detroit
- Someplace further south/east in the midwest (KY, OH, TN)?
- Someplace in the central western states (Denver, SLC, KC)
- Someplace on the east coast (yuck).
- Someplace on the west coast (yuck).
- etc. etc.

-Pace

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.