ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done it? I'm getting my house next wed. and I was thinking about doing it before I move everything in. Does anyone know how much it would cost to get a pro. job done?
Any knowledge would be great!
Thanks.
~BRad

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
skimann20 said:
Has anyone done it? I'm getting my house next wed. and I was thinking about doing it before I move everything in. Does anyone know how much it would cost to get a pro. job done?
Any knowledge would be great!
Thanks.
~BRad
...no idea, but I'm curious too. :)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
We had Arvada Hardwood come out to refinish the floors in our old house. But, I have no idea how much it cost to have done. I am like the world's most clueless person when it comes to how much stuff costs. :eek:

I do know that they did a nice job with the floors, except for the dust getting EVERYWHERE. They covered the cabinets with plastic, but didn't help very much.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry Floor. I've help do the varnish/seal, but never sanded it. I guess more than anything. I would like to know how long it takes. My house is 1200 sq.ft. but there is no hard wood in the kitchen or bath.

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
skimann20 said:
Sorry Floor. I've help do the varnish/seal, but never sanded it. I guess more than anything. I would like to know how long it takes. My house is 1200 sq.ft. but there is no hard wood in the kitchen or bath.
Dood... are you moving into MY house? ;)

Actually, I think mine is a hair smaller....

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
skimann20 said:
I sanded my sister's hardwood floor with a "hardwood belt sander". It took me about 3 or 4 days to sand, varnish, and seal the wood and I think her place was somewhere around 1200 sq ft. It's really not too hard; I think I was 14 when I did it and it came out great! Then she moved out a month later :mad:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GetawayInBouldr said:
I sanded my sister's hardwood floor with a "hardwood belt sander". It took me about 3 or 4 days to sand, varnish, and seal the wood and I think her place was somewhere around 1200 sq ft. It's really not too hard; I think I was 14 when I did it and it came out great! Then she moved out a month later :mad:

So How long did the actual sanding take? I have to rent a sander (I have the option to rent a drum or orbital, I think I'm going to use the drum.) I hope no longer than 2 days? Yo Zem, after I get done with my house I can help you with yours...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Me and my wife just purchased a house in longmont three months ago. The house was built in 1961, and a major motivator was that there were hardwood floors under the carpet. From what i could see they were in average condition (wood was exposed in hall closet and built in cabnet in hallway). After closing the we had two weeks until we were going to move in, so the house was prime for some work. I bought two sanders, one was a 3/8 dewalt belt sander ($229) and a dewalt palm sander ($49). It took me two days to rip out all the carpet, tack boards, and 40 years of staples from layers and layers of carpet. That was the hardest part of the entire process. I recommend knee pads, needle nose pliars, a pry bar, and lots of beer. After taping all vents, i got into the nitty gritty. First i broke out the belt sander. I got about a foot, and realized that it was way to powerful, and was stripping away layers of wood faster than i could blink. So, i went to the palm sander. It worked awesome!! I didn't want to remove wood, just layers of gloss and grud that built up opver time. I also wanted to smooth out the wood rather than remove it. If you go to far and remove more wood than neccessary, it's very expensive to have it filled. The floors were in average to better than average condition. The sander is the exact width of two planks. I used three grades of sandpaper (started with 40 grit, then 100 grit, then 220 grit). After all three grades were used, the floors were softer than a babies butt. Then i used a natural shalck, to bring out the natural color and shine. After each coat of shalack, i had to sand again with 220 grit sand paper. I shalacked the entire area twice, sanding after each coat. Total, i sanded the floors five times. Saw dust gets everywhere, and i mean everywhere. Tape off everything that leads to the furnace, and make sure you close off areas that you are not sanding. I would do it when the house is empty if at all possible. I can't imagine cleaning you furniture after sanding. It would be a nightmare. I'd never done this before, and i was amazed at how easy it was. Requires lots of elbow grease and time. I looked into getting it done professionally, and for 960 sq. ft. it was going to be $3500.00. I did it for about $200 (after returning the belt sander), and it took me 10 days working slolid. I didn't have much help either. If you had another person pulling out staples it will help alot. You can pm me if you have any other questions. The whole process was a real labor of love, but now i see them everyday and they look f'in sweet!!! Good luck to ya!!
Peace,
nick.

·
Registered
225 Posts
skimann20 said:
So How long did the actual sanding take? I have to rent a sander (I have the option to rent a drum or orbital, I think I'm going to use the drum.) I hope no longer than 2 days? Yo Zem, after I get done with my house I can help you with yours...
The problem with those industrial drum sanders is that they remove wood very, very, very fast. If you stay in one area to long it will become uneven, and loook bad. Like i said, it's very expensive to fill in any areas that are uneven. I would avoid using anything that might possibly damage the floors. I guess it all depends on how comfortable you are using such equipment. If you've never done it before, i'd stay away from from the sanding machines (drum or any other variety). I can help if you need some assistance.
Peace,
nick.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
npreston said:
The problem with those industrial drum sanders is that they remove wood very, very, very fast. If you stay in one area to long it will become uneven, and loook bad. Like i said, it's very expensive to fill in any areas that are uneven. I would avoid using anything that might possibly damage the floors. I guess it all depends on how comfortable you are using such equipment. If you've never done it before, i'd stay away from from the sanding machines (drum or any other variety). I can help if you need some assistance.
Peace,
nick.
Yo Nick, thanks for the offer! I went to the homedepo rental department and the guy there said to use thier orbital sander. It looks like a giant palm sander. He suggested this for first time users. But he said its alot slower than the drum. What you descibed in your write up is exactly what he said to do but with their large orbital sander. He said its real hard to screw it up with the orbital. But like you said very easy to do it with the drum sander. I guess the key is to stay at a constant speed and don't STOP!!!

I did find this: http://www.finishingwoodfloors.com/finishing_procedures/manual.html

It seems to have alot of good information. I guess I'm looking to see how long its going to take to sand because I plan on renting, and I'm trying to budget... I'm planing on doing it all day long for two days.

Nick, how long did it take you by hand? sanding?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
skimann20 said:
So How long did the actual sanding take? I have to rent a sander (I have the option to rent a drum or orbital, I think I'm going to use the drum.) I hope no longer than 2 days?
I think it took me about 2 days with my mom sanding the corners with a palm sander to make sure the walls didn't get messed up from the belt sander.

Going at a steady pace is the key to a nicely finished floor. Definitely be careful with high powered sanders. They can really strip layers of wood off in no time flat!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Skimann -

Actuall sanding time probably took about 3 days with the palm sander. Shalacking took two days, since you have to sand after each caot, then clean up all the saw dust and debris. The most time consuming and difficult part of the whole process is removing all the staples and tack boards. You have to remove EVERY staple. If you don't, when you go over a recessed nail or staple, it will catch the sand paper ruin the current sheet you were using. I didn't have any help, so that was a real *****. Basically i had to use a combination of needle nose pliars and a pry bar. The more recent staples (withing ten years) came out relatively easy, the older ones flat out sucked. The only reason i didn't use the orbital in which you refering to is because the rooms i did were not very large, total sq ft was approximatley 900. It was very easy for me to get into small corners and areas that the orbital can not reach. If you don't have a palm sander, you are more than welcome to borrow mine. It's a dewalt, and it is really good for this application. I also have alot of shalack left over if you want to use it. I just applied it using a standard size paint brush. During the clean up process, i used a swifter sweeper thing. It made it real easy to pick up loose saw dust. On a side note; 3M makes a new, more durable kind of sand paper. It supposedly will last 3 times longer than normal grade sand paper. They made all types of grits, and it was about the same price. I really liked it. Hope all this information helps. If you want to use my palm sander, or need any help, holla at me. Good luck and god bless.
Peace,
nick

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Brad,

My dad has an orbital. That thing rocks and I will bet that you could borrow it if you want. :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay this makes no... I typed this big thing up and its not on here!!!! Why is that? Anyways... Thanks Nick and J for the offers. I have some things to say. First, I went on line last night to look at pictures of the inside of my house. I SMOKE ALOT OF STUFF!!! the floors look all shinny!!! Not what I remember. I have my walf through next wed. I'm take a ssecond look. Second, I went to Home Depo last night and there was a different guy working there. He was the guru of hard wood floors. He had alot of the same things to say as Nick. From prep, sanding, finshing. I talked to him for like 45 minutes. Also, they had a hard wood floor there that I could practice on. The Drum sander is easy once you get the hang of it. He said as far as sanding it should only take me a FULL day to get the sanding done. Thanks for all the advice it really helps! I'll let you know what I deside to do come wed.
Once again, thanks a bunch,
~brad

·
Registered
225 Posts
Brad -
Every time i went to home depot it seemed like there was a diffewent guy with a different idea of how to do things. Essentially, i'd go with what ever works best for you and the space you are refinishing. Beer and smoke included of course. Larger spaces require larger equipment. The main thing is that you don't remove unneccessary wood. Just take your time. Slow and low is the tempo.
Peace,
Nick.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
npreston said:
Brad -
Every time i went to home depot it seemed like there was a diffewent guy with a different idea of how to do things. Essentially, i'd go with what ever works best for you and the space you are refinishing. Beer and smoke included of course. Larger spaces require larger equipment. The main thing is that you don't remove unneccessary wood. Just take your time. Slow and low is the tempo.
Peace,
Nick.
Yes, beer and smoke And I'm really good with it slow and low... At least thats what the lady's tell me.:D

·
Registered
225 Posts
skimann20 said:
Yes, beer and smoke And I'm really good with it slow and low... At least thats what the lady's tell me.:D
That's funny. However, i heard it was the gentleman saying you were nice and slow. I'm just messin with ya, it was actually the seniors saying it. : :) :eek:

Good luck with your floors bro. I can offer some assistance after work and on weekends if you need some help. I'll bring a smokey treat and six pack to help pass the time.
Peace,
nick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts