ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woo Hoo! Well, I think I found a house that I really like and I'm probably going to put a contract on it tomorrow. :) Exciting and kinda scary at the same time, since this is my first time... :)

It's a 3 Bedroom/3 bath in Saddle Rock, which seems to be like a great area for resale value. It was built by Richmond in 2001, and has all the right upgrades. I'm exicited! Of course, I'm putting all the contigencies in the contract such as appraisal, inspection, etc.

BTW, should I have a structural engineer look at the house in addition to a inspection? Is it worth it? I couldn't find any cracks, etc in the foundation but you never know...

JJ

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
If the house is 3 years old, I wouldn't worry about hiring a structural engineer, unless you have a hookup to get one cheaply. Chances are, unless the builder has a shoddy reputation for building crap houses, the structure will be in good condition.

Congrats on the find. :wiggles:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Good luck JJ.

I agree with Chris about the structure, it would make more sence if the home was older or the builder was questionable. I don't know how much it would cost, but it wouldn't hurt if it made you feel more comfortable about it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
<--- liscensed realtor

Definately get a structural engineer to take a look at the house. Richmond is a pretty good builder, however one issue with large builders is that they might rush a few things and lay down heavy bits before the foundation might be cured. Also in the sandy/clay soil in colorado it's not too un common for foundations to shift within very short time frames. Think of it as yet another piece of insurance against the most expensive thing you'll ever buy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
analog_909 said:
<--- liscensed realtor

Definately get a structural engineer to take a look at the house. Richmond is a pretty good builder, however one issue with large builders is that they might rush a few things and lay down heavy bits before the foundation might be cured. Also in the sandy/clay soil in colorado it's not too un common for foundations to shift within very short time frames. Think of it as yet another piece of insurance against the most expensive thing you'll ever buy.
I agree, my wife is a structural engineer, and one of the things her company does a lot of is try and fix buildings around here that are on swelling soils. She has been to many $1 million houses with cracked foundations. She says the first 5 yrs are the worst for that kind of stuff. I guess usually after about 5 yrs anything that will happen due to soils is pretty much done.

I don't know about your house manufacturer/location, but I definately think it is worth the money, especially for the kind of cash you are about to drop on the house.

Get ready to make several trips to Home Depot... You will love it though.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I bought a house last month and I had a structural enginer look at the house. granted my house was bult in 1910... And the Home-depo thing is so true... I bought stock in them because I knew I was going to be spending so much money there. ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Congrats! I would third the structural inspection. Also, make sure that if you have a sub-floor/sump-pit in the basement, that there is a sump-pump and it's in working condition.

You can take a 5 gallon pail, and fill up the sump-pit. Make sure the pump works!

I say this because the first house I bought, I got screwed.

3 days of straight rain = flooded crawl-space = lots of work to clean up.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Congrats JJ

JJ,

Good luck with this. I have lived in that general area for about 5 years now - make sure to get a soils report (might be a requirement actually) as this part of town is nothing but a big Jurassic sand bar.

And, if you are successful, welcome to the neighborhood. A lot of the OG are out here (myself, wrxnate, Ronin, and a few others.)
No, most of us dont drive subes any more, but who cares. :D

J

·
Registered
296 Posts
Re: Congrats JJ

JaMa said:
JJ,

Good luck with this. I have lived in that general area for about 5 years now - make sure to get a soils report (might be a requirement actually) as this part of town is nothing but a big Jurassic sand bar.

And, if you are successful, welcome to the neighborhood. A lot of the OG are out here (myself, wrxnate, Ronin, and a few others.)
No, most of us dont drive subes any more, but who cares. :D

J
JJ is the super OG! nasioc member #291 or something like that. He will teach us all the ways of stuff.:confused:

Nick C.

·
Registered
707 Posts
A lot of the OG are out here (myself, wrxnate, Ronin, and a few others.)
noobs, the lot of ya... :)

Congrats on the purchase, JJ. Get ready to have a lot less "car money". It's well worth it, though. Unlike our precious money pit scoobies, real estate should appreciate in value.

-p

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Dizzy said:
Congrats on the purchase, JJ. Get ready to have a lot less "car money". It's well worth it, though. Unlike our precious money pit scoobies, real estate should appreciate in value.

-p
I can fully attest to all parts of that statement. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, for many reasons, I didn't put in a offer yesterday but am this morning. :)

Soils report??- does the inspection typically include this or where do I get ahold of it?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
JJTheSubeDriver said:
Soils report??- does the inspection typically include this or where do I get ahold of it?
Usually from a civil/soils engineer, but if you get ahold of a structural engineer that works for a larger consulting engineer firm, you could probably get them bundled into one price.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Does

JJTheSubeDriver said:
Well, for many reasons, I didn't put in a offer yesterday but am this morning. :)

Well, IIRC, the county requires the soils report be given to every new buyer, but I am not so sure if it is required on a resale. The Soils report just tells you how much Bentonite is in the soil under your foundation so you can be prepared if your floors crack, wet heave, etc.

I KNOW City of Aurora gives this to everyone, but on a resale with Arapahoe County I am just not sure.

Check with your inspector, they will know what youre talking about.

J

1 - 20 of 20 Posts