ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TECH: My NA dyno#'s (new title)

http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=005197

I am taking up a collection to get my RS onto the dyno so I can post some numbers for guys looking to do NA builds. To my knowledge, noone with my set up has put their car on the dyno to date. It is really the impact that the cams has that the run will reveal. Everyone and their mother has the bolt ons, but not many run the cams. My set up is as follows:

MY00 2.5RS
Cobb CAI
UD underdriven pulley
Cobb equal length headers
Stromung TT cat back
Cobb "spicy" club racer cams
ACT clutch and pressure plate

It is going to cost me $125 at Modern Garage and I have $60 in donations so far. So, how about some GC NA love?:D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey Matt try posting this on rs25.com, if you do the dyno run at Mac and I am able to come Ill throw in some money, us old skoolerz gotta stick together.:wiggles:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I'M YOUR FATHER said:
I am interested in what the cams do, but not to sound like an ass but, if you can afford to do those mods to your car, you should be able to afford a $125 dyno run.

Nick C.
sho nuff
Nick can I borrow $5 for a blowjob?

FTW

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'M YOUR FATHER said:
I am interested in what the cams do, but not to sound like an ass but, if you can afford to do those mods to your car, you should be able to afford a $125 dyno run.

Nick C.
The money was spent before I lost my job. But this is why I can't afford to pay for a dyno and why I can't afford to finish my Legacy 2.0GT swap, for now. But that's just life and I will get another job and make good money again down the road, at which point I will further my NA build and resume my Legacy project.:D

And this is also why I did not get the complete heads. Cobb was gracious enough to let me apply my deposit towards other parts when the heads got finished because I couldn't pay the $2000 that was till due on them. Furthermore, the install took place as part of my warranty head gasket work that the folks at Mike Shaw did and what little labor I paid for was covered by the small refund that was leftover from Cobb.

Lastly, I was not looking for handouts or your pity. I just had a lot of guys ask me to dyno my car and thought this would be a good way to get it done quickly. And guess what? It worked!:D There were enough guys who wanted to know this info that I got together the money to do this. Thank you to the guys who supported this.

I ran my car at Modern Garage yesterday morning. First off, I want to thank Christian and his crew for showing up an hour early for work and giving me a $35 discount on the runs.And now to the results...

I got 151.1hp @ 5700rpm
and 156.8tq @ 4500rpm
For comparison, Cobb's published #'s for a stock 2.5RS on the exact same dyno is 122.5hp. So this is 28.6hp over stock. This is also a full 10hp over Cobb's stage II power package that includes their mild cams. A stock WRX runs 169.9hp on this same dyno. Depending on how you figure driveline loss, I am making 205-210HP at the crank. This is at 5000ft, so it is representative of how much power I have on a daily basis.

Furthermore, I am not using any sort of engine management. I am going to wait for the Accessport for the RS and not mess around with an AFC or a torque chip. I should be able to pick up close to 10hp with proper tuning.

The other thing I will mention is that I have seen zero change in fuel economy. I still get 29mpg hwy and 25-26mpg when doing mixed hwy/city driving. And I got my car up to 132mph yesterday before I hit an uphill. I think their may be a little more left there, but will have to wait until the next time I get on the open hwy...:cool:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Nice numbers Matt. I have to admit that the spin you took me up in the mountains was alot of fun. Better than a roller coaster. I am still amazed at how your tires stuck. If you are heading up again, I am there. In fact, let me know when you are up for a cruise. Your RS, with your brakes and normally aspirated power is a great ride. Sounds mean too. Noticeable cam sound. Nice to know that you are just a few hp shy of a WRX.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Holy crap! Amazing numbers for an N/A with no tune and at altitude. You've got to run at Bandi. I really want to know what you are going to hit. I think that a 15.5 or better is attainable?!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Awesome numbers. Glad you got it dyno'd.

Makes me mad though that I didn't have my cams replaced when I got my short block replaced under warranty. I just wasn't thinking I guess. I missed the perfect opportunity.:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
D-Speed 2.5 said:
Holy crap! Amazing numbers for an N/A with no tune and at altitude. You've got to run at Bandi. I really want to know what you are going to hit. I think that a 15.5 or better is attainable?!
Should I take up another collection to get it on the track?:D

Demian,
We should hook up tommorrow afternoon if you are free. I also still owe tasq and bugman1964 rides in the car. If you guys are reading, call me. I no longer have internet at home and the only way to get me is the cell phone...

·
Registered
986 Posts
Matt Monson said:
Should I take up another collection to get it on the track?:D

Demian,
We should hook up tommorrow afternoon if you are free. I also still owe tasq and bugman1964 rides in the car. If you guys are reading, call me. I no longer have internet at home and the only way to get me is the cell phone...
i have a $25 bandimere voucher i will donate to your cause, pm me your address and i will mail it. i will not work for any event not sponsored by bandi, so i will not be making it up. i would think it would work for a test and tune. let me know, it expires in sept sometime (it was from the rained out IDRC event last sept.)

cnstman

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Congrats! Those are great numbers up here! I am also curious as to the quarter mile in your car. Tell us when you go. Next wed is test night. Next friday is club clash. You can race with us on friday Coorado Import Alliance!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Sorry so big, but I don't have a clue how to resize the thing. How about that torque curve fellas?:eek:

Harvey,
I will try and make it out as soon as that voucher arrives in the mail. And if you see Demian around the condo complex tell him it is even fasterer with fresh rubber. Now all I need in an ALK on there...:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts