Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Its all up to you and your budget, but I'd always go with the Premium over base. The stuff on the Premium is well worth the bump in price. After that, it's basically about the infotainment system you want. Personally, I wish I could've gotten just and AM/FM/CD...I don't use Sirius, don't use Bluetooth and even shut-off the HD radio because of the annoying way it fades in & out all the time. But I'm an old fart too, so don't really desire all the electronic do-da's.

Most of the other Subie options can be added at anytime, as some are actually installed at the receiving port (or at the dealer). I bought a grey Premium, with STI shifter, body sides and carbon fiber truck trim. The dealer installed the Euro splash guards and STI front spoiler as part on my deal. I've since added a few more OEM options on my own.

· Registered
56 Posts
I bought the base which is plenty fine for me but I wish I got the short shifter, the current is so high... I cant wait to change it out.

Dont bother with the Subaru floor mats as Weather Tech and others are better.

Buy an extra USB cord if you jam music from your phone, while BT ready sounds better with the cord, way better.

I agree with the above poster in the fade in and out with the radio but I dont listen to it, Im a Pandora or playlist user. Its doesn't fade in and out like the radio. Cant stand the radio or Sirius. Using the cord via USB gives you the controls from the wheel/deck.

Things Im doing are window tint, short shifter, switch out the fuse cover with the coin cover, front lip and cover for my gauges.

Im an older chic so I cant rice it out, not my style. haha

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! I am definitely ordering a World Rally Blue Base model. Here is my list of options as of now:

Definitely: Short throw shifter, Center Armrest Extension, Fog Lights(just because I love the look)
Probably: Vortex Generator, Upgraded speakers(opinions?)
On the fence: Floor mats, Cargo tray, Wheel locks, auto dimming mirror w/compass, sti duracon shift knob

I would welcome any further ideas!

Aaron

· Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the info! I am definitely ordering a World Rally Blue Base model. Here is my list of options as of now:

Definitely: Short throw shifter, Center Armrest Extension, Fog Lights(just because I love the look)
On the fence: Floor mats, Cargo tray, Wheel locks, auto dimming mirror w/compass, sti duracon shift knob

Aaron
Cool, I used to have a blue one back in the day, I had a 2004, had some STi mods added, bought it used so previous owner did some mods.

I got a basic set of WRX floor mats that are 'standard' and 'free'. Check out Weather Techs laser fit, the 2016 will fit in the 2017. Front, full back with hump cover, and trunk liner for about $300.(last I checked)

I have read an aftermarket armrest extension is better than OEM. Easy to install.

I would of loved other goodies but I wanted to keep my payment at a certain range... much of the 'upgrades' are gratuitous want not a need for me. haha

· Registered
6 Posts
Congrats on the new order. Sorry to high jack but had a quick question for those with the sti short shifter. Can the short shifter be ordered separately from the sti pkg? I didn't see that option as a stand alone.

· Registered
65 Posts

Aaron

The vortex generator is just a cheap piece of plastic that gets put onto your roof with 3m tape. You can buy the same thing online for cheaper, or other (more attractive options) for a similar price at SubiSpeed. The auto-dimming mirror is cool and I have that, but I don't know if it's worth the $300. I like the floor mats, but again, Weathertec has good ones as well. The armrest extension is awesome, but for a similar price you can get the JDM one (SubiSpeed) and easily install it yourself. The cargo tray is a nice thing to have, as is the rear-bumper applique. I love the short-throw shifter...I think that's a necessity. The shift knob is a waste of money in my mind. And I'd definitely get wheel locks, but you can do that on your own, too. I might consider the upgraded speakers, but I don't know how much of an effect that'll have with the same amp and head unit--I think that's the root of the problem.

And has been said before, I think the Premium is the better value, especially if you live anywhere that it gets cold. Seat warmers and the sun roof were alone enough for me to upgrade...the bigger rims look better, and the fog lights are included. I also installed the Tail-as-Turn kit and rear LEDs. That's it for the moment (aside from tinting the windows).

· Registered
65 Posts
Congrats on the new order. Sorry to high jack but had a quick question for those with the sti short shifter. Can the short shifter be ordered separately from the sti pkg? I didn't see that option as a stand alone.
Yes. You can get the short-throw shifter alone. It's like $400... I just brought that up as a "seal the deal" item on my car. "Throw in the short-throw and I'll sign right now..." It costs them very little to put that in.

· Registered
12 Posts
I bought the Premium version and no regrets so far. Auto dimming rear view mirror is very useful. You also get electric driver's seat and BBS alloy wheels.
Heated wing mirrors and windscreen wiper de-icers are going to be useful in cold climates while the sunroof is nice when the sun is shining. Can't beat the full leather seats.
This is, of course a 2016 NZ model - could well be different for the US 2017 market :confused:

I did ask about the STi locking wheel nuts but passed at NZ$850 a set :screwy:

· Registered
65 Posts
I bought the Premium version and no regrets so far. Auto dimming rear view mirror is very useful. You also get electric driver's seat and BBS alloy wheels.
Heated wing mirrors and windscreen wiper de-icers are going to be useful in cold climates while the sunroof is nice when the sun is shining. Can't beat the full leather seats.
This is, of course a 2016 NZ model - could well be different for the US 2017 market :confused:

I did ask about the STi locking wheel nuts but passed at NZ$850 a set :screwy:
The leather and electric seats only come in the Limited model here. Premium has cloth, and manually adjustable seats. And I believe that I was charged $65 US for the locking nuts??? You could easily get a set online for a reasonable price.

· Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like the NZ Premium is equivalent to the US Limited. You only have the option of a base model or Premium here in NZ (for either WRX or STi).

I've looked around on the net and found a set for around half the dealer price on ebay, but not where close to what you were charged. Are they engraved with the STi logo on the top of each nut?

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to everyone for all the great info! I am buying my WRX at factory invoice and getting whatever options I want at invoice as well. That means my prices for the following options are as follows:
Fog Lights: $295
Short throw shifter: $313
Upgraded speakers: $208
Vortex Generator: $68
Wheel locks $49
Floor mats: $52
Cargo Tray: $52
Auto dimming mirror w/compass: $150
Armrest extension: $102

Looking at premium now....I live in Florida so no need for seat heaters or de-icers :)

· Registered
94 Posts
Really think about that vortex generator, because once it is on there, it is hard to remove without damaging the paint. Also, every one of those options you are adding, are port installed, meaning it will take that much longer to get your car, and that somebody at the port is tearing into your new car to install that stuff.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never thought about that Willy. The fog lights and short throw shifter are done on assembly correct? Maybe I will do the speakers and armrest extension myself since I know I will take much better care. The vortex generator I think looks really good. Can anyone point me to some other options that look better? Thanks so much to everyone for all the great advice and opinions!!
Aaron

· Registered
738 Posts
I never thought about that Willy. The fog lights and short throw shifter are done on assembly correct? Maybe I will do the speakers and armrest extension myself since I know I will take much better care. The vortex generator I think looks really good. Can anyone point me to some other options that look better? Thanks so much to everyone for all the great advice and opinions!!
Aaron
The vortex while looks cool offers no improvements(if so its so minimal you wouldn't notice) and like willy said is on the car forever(or you mess up your paint taking it off). Yes the ST shifter and fogs are fine. personally look is all in the eye of the owner though so whatever you feel looks good is your call. Some people like to debadge their cars and some don't. You already have the functional options.

· Registered
94 Posts
Aaron
Anything you see in the Accessory Catalog will be port installed. Most of these items are very easy to install, and you can do by yourself if your are handy.

http://www.subaru.com/content/dam/subaru/downloads/pdf/brochures/2016_Impreza_WRX_AccessoriesBrochure.pdf

Also, the factory vortex generator may look ok from afar, but it doesn't even go to the edges of the roof, and in my opinion looks really cheesy. It is really just a half-baked attempt by Subaru to get another $68 out of you.

Also, since you are ordering the WRX instead of buying one in stock, you can negotiate a good price. Dealers typically won't budge on WRXs they have in inventory, because of their allotment, and high demand, but if you order, you can get a really good price. For Example, I got my 2016 WRX Limited 6MT (No options or accessories) for $28,796. Its MSRP was $31,190. Try going directly through the Internet Sales Manger, or Fleet Manager, and you will get the best price with no negotiation.

Also, cars101.com is a very good resource that gives details on all of the options, packages, and accessories.

2017 Subaru WRX and STI research spec page- options, photos, prices, details and more

· Registered
140 Posts
Here are my 2 cents about options:

Don't get the floor mats. I have them in my 2017 Limited and I ended up replacing them with the Weathertech mats, which are way better and fit perfectly. The rear cargo mat is very nice, on the other hand. It has already saved my trunk after a gallon jug of milk tipped over while going home from the grocery store and the cap wasn't fastened tightly.

The fog lights are so-so. The factory bulbs are 19W and barely put any usable light on the ground. I promptly swapped out my stock H16 bulbs with a set of LED bulbs from OLM and they made a significant difference. If you're into modding, there are better aftermarket fog lamp housings available, however, having the fog light switch already factory installed on the turn signal stalk is handy. I am considering replacing the stock fog lamp housings with a set of projectors for better beam pattern.

The arm rest extension is not worth it, in my opinion. I would recommend you order the JDM center console extension which features a secondary storage compartment and serves to raise up the arm rest to a very comfortable height (at least for me). Honestly, I think this center console should have been standard as it adds very handy storage space for things like parking cards, spare change, sunglasses, etc.
Subaru JDM Dual Console Arm Rest Extension - 2015+ WRX / 2015+ STI - Arm Rests - Interior - 2015+ WRX

The auto-dimming mirror with compass is a great option. I came to the WRX from a small SUV and it sits much lower and catches more headlight glare from behind. My auto-dim mirror also has the Homelink garage opener and that is a great feature for me. One less thing I need to carry in the car.

I also have the Subaru short throw shifter and it really doesn't seem to shorten the throws all that much over stock. Seems the aftermarket kits from Boomba, Kartboy, Perrin, etc. offer a much bigger reduction in shift throw for less cost. That is, if you don't mind wrenching on the car. I did install the Perrin shift stop and brass shift bushing, and those two simple mods made a huge improvement in how the shifts felt over stock. I might attempt the Boomba short shifter rod and shifter plate later on when I can bring my car to my friend who has a lift in his garage.

Can't say much about the stock sound system. I'm not an audiophile so stock works just fine for me. I'm pretty dull and mostly listen to NPR anyways so anything fancier is totally wasted on me.

My opinion of the vortex generator is the same as the others here - not worth it since it doesn't do anything functionally and doesn't look all that great.

Wheel locks might not be a bad idea, depending on where you live/drive. I don't know how tempting the Subaru wheels are to thieves, but I personally don't have any plans to get fancier wheels, so I never considered them.

Aaron, might you be in the St. Paul, MN area? Just guessing based on your screen name. I live and work in the northern Twin Cities area.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.